- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Character Strength, Occupational Engagement on Career Adaptability of College Students Majoring in Multimedia Content
멀티미디어콘텐츠 전공 대학생의 성격강점과 진로관여행동이 진로적응성에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구
- Lee, Jung-Hee (Dept. of Lifelong Education & Adolescent counseling, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Cheeyong (Major of Game Animation Engineering, Dong-Eui University)
- Received : 2018.05.03
- Accepted : 2018.05.25
- Published : 2018.05.31
The purpose of this paper was to evaluate the mediating effect of occupational engagement on the relation of college students' character strength on career adaptability. In order to accomplish the purpose of this paper, the subjects were students majoring in Multimedia content at University in Pusan, Instruments used in the research were as follows: Career Adapt-Ability Scale(CAAS), Korea-Adapted Virtue Inventory of Strength(K-AVIS), and Occupational Engagement. The results of this research were as follows: First, Male college students had higher degree of career adaptability than female students. Second, sub-factors of character strength had significantly effected on career adaptability. Finally, occupational engagement moderated partially on the relation between career adaptability and character strength.
- T.H. Kim, J.Y. Hur, C. Choi, E.Y. Cho, "A study on the improvement if Multimedia Design Curriculum based on Design Process," Journal of Korea Multimedia Society, Vol. 13, No 1, pp. 176-178, 2010.
- N.H. Kim, "A study on motion graphics Curriculum based on interaction by multidisciplinary Design Education Model Approach," Journal of Digital Design, Vol. 12, No 3, pp. 534-546, 2012.
- R.W. Lent, S.D. Brown, and G. Hackett, "Toward a unifying social cognitive theory of career and academic interest, choice, and performance" Journal of vocational behavior, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 79-12, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1994.1027
- M.L. Savickas, "Career adaptability: An integrative construct for life-span, life-space theory," The Career Development Quarterly, Vol. 45, pp. 247-259, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-0045.1997.tb00469.x
- N. Park, C. Peterson, M.E.P. Seligman, "Strengths of character and well-being." Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 603-619, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.23.5.603.50748
- M.E.P. Seligman, Authentic Happiness: Using the new positive psychology to realize your potential for lasting fulfill. New York: Free Press, 2004.
- J.A. Park, A Study of the Relationship Among Character Strength, Self-regulatory Efficacy, Self-Directed Learning and Career Adaptability of Undergraduate Students. Doctor's Thesis of Hannam University, Seoul, 2014.
- J.H. Lee, "Mediating Effects of Strengths Use on the Relation of Tourism Related Students' Character Strength on Career Adaptability," Northest Asia Tourism Research, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 249-268, 2016.
- D.W. Cox, The operationalization of occupational engagement and validation of the Occupational Engagement Scale for Students. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas. 2008.
- M.N. Jung, The effects of career decision making style and occupational engagement on career attitude maturity. Master's Thesis of Korea University, Seoul, 2011.
- N.R. Kim, The mediating effects of career decision self-efficacy and occupational engagement on the relation between internal locus of control and career adaptability in college students, Master's of Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2013.
- Y.H. Cho, "The effect of character strengths of design major students in relations to learning preferences of positive psychology : focusing on the moderating effect of online, offline class forms" Doctor's of Thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, 2013.
- M.H. Yun, J. H. Lee, H.J. Seo, C.W. Kang, Major Exploration and Life Plan. Seoul: Hakjisa, 2018.
- D.E. Super, "A life-span, life-space approach to career development," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 282-298, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(80)90056-1
- A.E.M. Van Vianen, I.E. De Pater, P.T.Y. Preenan, "Adaptable careers: Maximizing less and exploring more," The Career Development Quarterly, Vol. 57, pp. 298-309, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-0045.2009.tb00115.x
- M.L. Savickas, "The theory and practice of career construction," In S.D. Brown, R.W. Lent, (Eds), Career development and counseling: Putting Theory and research to work, New Jersey: John Wily & Sons, Inc. 2005.
- E.J. Porfeli, F.W. Vondracek, "Career development, work, and occupational success," Handbook of Research on Adult Learning and Development, pp. 412-436, 2009.
- K.Y. Jang, The Development of the Career Adaptability Scale for the Korean University Students. Doctor's Thesis of Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 2009.
- J.E. Jung, The casual relationship of undergraduate student's career adaptability social support, self-esteem and self-directed learning, Master's Thesis of Seoul University, Seoul, 2013.
- H.S. You, S.B. Lee, J.H. Lee, "Effects of Self-Leadership on Career Adaptability of Tourism Related Student," Journal of tourism and leisure Research, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 491-511, 2014.
- D.O. Clifton, P. Nelson, Soar with your strengths. New York: Dell, 1992.
- C. Peterson, M.E.P. Seligman, Character strengths and virtues: A handbook of classification. The New York: Oxford University Press/Washington. DC: American Psychology Association, 2004
- J.H. Kim, "Adapted Virtue Inventory of Strengths(AVIS): Measuring Positive Traits in Individuals with Disabilities," Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, 2012.
- J.W. Lounsbury, L.A. Fisher, J.J. Levy, D.P. Welsh, "An investigation of character strengths in relation to the academic Success of college students," Individual Differences Research, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 52-69, 2009.
- Y.G. Cho, The influence of the character strengths and validation of strengths on career attitude maturity, career preparation behavior and college life satisfaction, Master's thesis of Catholic University, Seoul, 2014.
- T.S. Krieshok, M.D. Black, and R.A. Mckay, "Career decision making: The limits of rationality and the abundance of non-conscious processes" Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol 75, pp. 275-290, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.04.006
- S.S. Kim, K-Adapted Virtue Inventory Strength, Master's Thesis of Kyungsung University, Pusan, 2014.
- J.K, Tak, "Career Adapt-Abilities Scale-Korea Form: Psychometric properties and construct validity," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 80, pp. 712-715, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2012.01.008
- R.M. Baron, D.A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- M.E. Sobel, Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. In S. Leinhardt(Ed.), Sociological Methodology 1982(pp. 290-312). Washington DC: American Sociological Association, 1982.
- S. Hacker, Pleasure, Power, and Technology: Some Tales of Gender, Engineering, and the Cooperative Workplace. Boston: Unwin Hyman, 1989.
- M.S. Min, J.H. Lee, "Analysis of Educational and Occupational Experiences of Women Studying Engineering," Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 65-93, 2005.