- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
First Record of Deshayesiella curvata (Polyplacophora: Protochitonidae) from Korea
- Shin, Youngheon (Department of Biological Sciences, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Yucheol (Department of Biological Sciences, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Park, Joong-Ki (Division of EcoSciene, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2018.07.18
- Accepted : 2018.10.16
- Published : 2018.10.31
Protochitonidae Ashby, 1925 is a family of small to medium sized chitons that includes a single fossil genus and two extant genera. Of the two extant genera, Deshayesiella Carpenter in Dall, 1879 contains 5 described species. Although most Deshayesiella species are known to be found in deep sea habitats(over 100 m), D. curvata (Carpenter in Pilsbry, 1892) is found from shallow waters(1-20 m). In this study, we provide details of microstructure of shell and radula characters using scanning electron microscopy and morphological features of D. curvata, and its partial sequence of mitochondrial DNA cox1 gene as DNA barcode sequence. In addition, we compare morphological differences of D. curvata from other congeneric species.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Marine Science and Technology Promotion (KIMST), National Institute of Biological Resources (NIBR)
- Ashby E, 1925. Monograph on Australian fossil Polyplacophora (Chitons). Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria, 37:170-205.
- Dall WH, 1879. Report on the limpets and chitons of the Alaskan and Arctic regions, with descriptions of genera and species believed to be new. Proceedings of the United States National Museum, 1:281-344. https://doi.org/10.5479/si.00963801.1-48.281
- Folmer O, Black M, Hoeh W, Lutz R, Vrijenhoek R, 1994. DNA primers for amplification of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit I from diverse metazoan invertebrates. Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology, 3:294-299.
- Jakovleva AM, 1952. Shell-bearing mollusks (Loricata) of the seas of the USSR. Fauna USSR, 45:1-107.
- Kaas P, Van Belle R, 1985. Monograph of living chitons (Mollusca: Polyplacophora). Vol. 1. Order Neoloricata: Lepidopleurina. E.J. Brill/Dr W. Backhuys, London, pp. 1-240.
- Pilsbry HA, 1892. Monograph of the Polyplacophora. Manual of Conchology, 14:1-128.
- Saito H, 2012. Second specimen of a rare deep-sea chiton, Deshayesiella sinica (Xu, 1990) (Polyplacophora, Lepidopleurida, Protochitonidae) from northern Japan. Bulletin of the National Museum of Nature and Science, 38:7-11.
- Saito H, Fujikura K, Tsuchida S, 2008. Chitons (Mollusca: Polyplacophora) associated with hydrothermal vents and methane seeps around Japan, with descriptions of three new species. American Malacological Bulletin, 25:113-124. https://doi.org/10.4003/0740-2783-25.1.113 https://doi.org/10.4003/0740-2783-25.1.113
- Sirenko B, 1973. Amphipacific distribution of chitons (Loricata) and their new species in the North-West Pacific. Zoologiceskij Zurnal, 52:659-667.
- Sirenko B, 2006. New outlook оn the system of chitons (Mollusca: Polyplacophora). Venus, 65:27-49.
- Sirenko B, Clark R, 2008. Deshayesiella spicata (Berry, 1919) (Mollusca: Polyplacophora), a valid species. Ruthenica, 18: 1-7.