- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A New Record of Symmius caudatus (Crustacea, Isopoda, Chaetiliidae) from Korea, with the First Description of Male
- Kim, Sung Hoon (Department of Life Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Chosun University) ;
- Yoon, Seong Myeong (2 Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Chosun University)
- Received : 2018.06.25
- Accepted : 2018.10.08
- Published : 2018.10.31
A chaetiliid isopod, Symmius caudatus Richardson, 1904 is newly recorded from Korea with detailed description and illustrations. This species is characterized by the following features: head has well-defined ocular lobes anteriorly projecting; all pereonites do not have any projections dorsally; maxillule has 2 long plumose and 1 short denticulate setae on inner lobe; propodus of pereopod 1 has 11 stout circumplumose setae on ventral margin in female; and pereopod 7 is ambulatory. In this paper, we present the descriptions and illustrations of mature and juvenile males, which have not been known from previous studies, as well as those of female. We also suggested a revised diagnosis of the genus Symmius.
Supported by : Chosun University, National Institute of Biological Resources (NIBR)
- Nunomura N, 1984. Two new idoteid Isopoda from Otsuchi Bay, northern Japan. Bulletin of the Toyama Science Museum, 6: 57-64.
- Nunomura N, 2008. Marine isopod crustaceans collected from Shijiki Bay, western Japan (1) Valvifera, Cymothoida, Sphaeromatidea, Limnoriidea and Oniscidea. Bulletin of the Toyama Science Museum, 31:13-43.
- Poore GCB, 1984. Clarification of the monotypic genera Chiriscus and Symmius (Crustacea; Isopoda: Idoteidae). Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, 97:71-77.
- Poore GCB, 1991. Crustacea Isopoda: Deep-sea Chaetiliidae Valvifera from New Caledonia and the Philippines. In: Resultats des campagnes Musorstom, Vol. 9. Memories du Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, No. 152 (Ed., Crosnier A). Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris, pp. 139-153.
- Poore GCB, Bruce NL, 2012. Global diversity of marine isopods (except Asellota and crustacean symbionts). PLoS One, 7: e43529. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0043529 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0043529
- Richardson H, 1904. Contributions to the natural history of the Isopoda. Proceedings of the United States National Museum, 27:1-89.
- Shimomura M, 2008. A new species of Symmius Richardson (Crustacea: Isopoda: Chaetiliidae) from Japan. Zootaxa, 1719:61-68.
- Song JH, Min GS, 2015. New record of three isopod species (Crustacea: Malacostraca: Isopoda) from South Korea. Korean Journal of Environmental Biology, 33:182-188. https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2015.33.2.182 https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2015.33.2.182