- Volume 37 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Consumer Preferences with Chicken Types and Sauces
치킨 유형 및 소스별 소비자 선호도 연구
- Park, Kyeongjin (Hongik University, Department of Industrial Engineering) ;
- Ahn, Jinho (Hongik University, Department of Industrial Engineering) ;
- Chun, Young Ho (Hongik University, Department of Industrial Engineering) ;
- Sung, Dong Eun (Dongyang Mirae University, Department of Food Science & Engineering) ;
- Kim, Kyungdoh (Hongik University, Department of Industrial Engineering)
- Received : 2018.08.21
- Accepted : 2018.10.16
- Published : 2018.10.31
Objective: We conducted an experiment about consumer preferences with chicken types and sauces to provide an implication for chicken menu development. Background: In the food service industry, chicken franchises have studied the consumer preferences for the menu development to enhance its competitiveness. It was necessary to investigate the preferences for the chicken types and the sauces sufficiently since cooking methods and sauces for chicken have been diversified. Method: We compared three types of chickens and four sauces. 30 Participants evaluated each combination of chicken types and sauces in terms of the flavor, texture, appearance and satisfaction. Results: The flavor of chickens with a spicy sauce and no sauces was preferred. The oven chicken with barbecue sauce showed a higher flavor than other chicken combinations, and the crispy chicken with chili sauce had a higher flavor than other chicken combinations. Participants also had higher appearance scores for red sauces. Overall satisfaction was affected by flavor, texture and appearance in order. Conclusion: In chicken menus, fried chicken and spicy chicken must be provided. Barbecue sauce matched well with oven chicken and chili sauce was good for crispy chicken only. When developing new chicken menus, we should focus on flavor and texture. Application: This results can contribute to chicken menu developments to enhance the competitiveness of chicken franchises.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Biz Chosun, 2017 Brand of the Year, http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/09/12/2017091201893.html, (retrieved August, 20, 2018).
- Chang, D.S., Park, S.S. and Shin, C.S., A Comparative Study on the Services Quality of Korean and Foreign Brand Fast Food Franchisee in Korea, Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, 1(1), 101-124, 2000.
- Chen, Y., Hwang, J. and Chang, Y., Quality Characteristics of Makgeolli added with Red Bean. Korean Society of Food and Cookery Science, 29(6), 777-784, 2013. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.6.777
- Choi, J., An Analysis of Preferences for Korean-Style Fried Chicken and Purchase behaviors: A Comparison between Chinese and Korean Students at a University in Daejeon, Korea, The Korean Society of Community Living Science, 25(1), 65-74, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2014.25.1.65
- Choi, M.K., Analysis of foodservice value system using the consumer behavior survey for food. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 47(3), 337-346, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2018.47.3.337
- Fair Trade Commission, Compare by Brand, http://franchise.ftc.go.kr/user/extra/main/70/firHope/listBrand/jsp/LayOutPage.do(retrieved August, 20, 2018).
- Hong, S.P., Shin, D.B. and Cho, G.H., Development of New Sauce Products using Traditional Gochujang. Food Science and Industry, 41(3), 96-101, 2008.
- Han, J.S., An empirical study on the influence factors of consumer's choice properties to specialty chicken stores. Master Thesis. Chungang University, 2012.
- Han, J.S., Han, K.P., Kim, J.S. and Kim, M.H., A Study for the Mechanical and Sensory Characteristics of Chickens by Cooking Methods - For the Focus on Native Chicken. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 6(3), 307-316, 1996.
- Jang, J.Y., What is first founded item? Chicken or Coffee, Meail Business Newspaper, http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?sc=-50100002&year=2015&no=180943 (retrieved August, 20, 2018).
- Jung, E.J., Korean chicken battle, Ddabi, 2014.
- Khan, M.A., Concepts of foodservice operations and management (2nd ed.), VNR, New york, 1991.
- Kim, E.N., 'Tasted' players gather in 'the meal', Sisain, http://www.sisain.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=18176 (retrieved August, 20, 2018).
- Kim, S.J., A study on making a relationship between the franchise business and the customers. Master Thesis. Kyunghee University, 2004.
- Kim, Y.H., Chicken Delivery Franchise Success Marketing Strategy Analysis, Master Thesis, Sogang University, 2007.
- Korea Chicken Council, Monthly Korean Chicken, 14(9), 44-45, 2008.
- Korea Society of Food and Cookery Science, Food cooking science dictionary, Gyomoonsa, Paju, 2003.
- Korean Statistical Information Service, Franchise statistics (16 industries, education service industry excluded), http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1KE0003&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=J_20_1_1&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=MT_ZTITLE (retrieved August, 20, 2018).
- Kwak, H.S., Precautions for Sensory Evaluation. Food Industry and Nutrition, 21(1), 11-14, 2016.
- Kwon, K.H., Park, M.S. and Kwon, J.H., Exploratory Multi-case Study on the Drivers of Franchise Internationalization. Korea Trade Review, 32(2), 391-416, 2007.
- Kwon, N.W. and Oh, S.T., A Study on the Effect of the Importance of Selection Attributes for Chicken Specialty Store on Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty: Focusing on Undergraduate and Graduate Students in Daejeon City. Culinary Science and Hospitality Research, 17(4), 169-184, 2011. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2011.17.4.012
- Lee, J.Y. and Kim, J.H., A Study on Sensory Evaluation and Preference of Caffe Latte in Accordance with Espresso Menu, Korean Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 24(1), 245-260, 2015a.
- Lee, S.H. and Kim, I.B., The Mediating Effects of Customer Satisfaction on the Relationship between Marketing Mix Activities and Brand Loyalty in Chicken Restaurant, The Korea Contents Society, 15(7), 520-530, 2015b.
- Lee, S.M., Bae, S.J. and Kim, K.O., Sensory Characteristics and Cross-cultural Acceptability of Sweet Crispy Chicken (Dakgangjeong) Prepared Using Sauces with Different Ethnic Korean Style Flavors among Korean and Chinese Consumers. Korea Society of Food Science and Technology, 47(5), 623-632, 2015. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.5.623
- Lee, Y.M., Chicken. Kimyoungsa. 2004.
- Miller, J.E. and Pavesic, D.V., Menu Pricing and Strategy (4th ed.), John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 1996.
- Oh, S.Y. and Yoo, I.J., Comparative analysis of Korean consumption behavior in chicken. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources, 21, 110-115, 2001.
- O'Neil, B.F. and Iverson, J.L., An operational procedure for prioritizing customer service element. Journal of Business Logistices, 12(2), 157-178, 1991.
- Schellhase, R., Hardock, P. and Ohlwein, M., Customer satisfaction in business-to-business marketing: the case of retail organizations and their suppliers. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 14(6), 416-432, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858629910290210
- Watson, A. and Johnson, R., Managing the franchisor-franchisee relationship: a relationship marketing perspective. Journal of Marketing Channels, 17(1), 51-68, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/10466690903436305
- Yoo, J.W., Analysis of domestic chicken business status, KB Financial Group INC, https://www.kbfg.com/kbresearch/index.do?alias-=report&viewFunc=default_details&categoryId=1&subCtgId=&menuId=&boardId=102&rBoardId=102&articleId=1002153&sTxt=&sType=&pageNo=1 (retrieved August, 20, 2018).
- Yoon, J.H., Franchisee satisfaction on ice cream franchisor support and franchise re-contract intention. Journal of Foodservice Management, 6(3), 147-160, 2003.