- Volume 27 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the Effects of a Combination of Silicate Minerals in Duck Diets on Growth Performance and Litter Quality
- Chung, Tae-Ho (Division of Integrated Biotechnology, Joongbu University)
- Received : 2018.07.23
- Accepted : 2018.09.07
- Published : 2018.10.31
An experiment was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of a mixture of bentonite and illite as feed additives on the growth performance and litter quality of 90 Pekin ducks. The ducks were individually weighed and randomly divided into two treatments (control and 1% combination of silicate minerals), with three replicate pens per treatment, and 15 ducks per pen. Growth performance was not significantly affected (p>0.05) by the combination of bentonite and illite, but a trend of increased growth performance was observed in the control groups. Total nitrogen content and pH in the litter decreased following supplementation with the combination of bentonite and illite (p<0.05) when compared with the control group. This data indicates that the dietary supplementation with the combination of bentonite and illite (1% level) has no positive effect on the growth performance and litter quality of Pekin ducks.
Supported by : Joongbu University
- AOAC Association of Official Analytical Chemists., 1990, Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 15th ed. Washington DC, USA.
- EFSA FEEDAP Panel (EFSA Panel on Additives and Products or Substances used in Animal Feed (FEEDAP)., 2016, Safety and efficacy of a natural mixture of illite, montmorillonite and kaolinite (Argile Verte du Velay) as a feed additive for all animal species, EFSA J., 14, 4342. https://doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2016.4342
- Louw, A., Schoeman, J., Geyse, M., 2013, Pork and broiler industry supply chain study with emphasis on feed and feed-related issues, J. Agric. Econ. Dev., 2, 134-146.
- Ly, J., Grageola, F., Lemus, C., Castro, M., 2007, Ileal and rectal digestibility of nutrients in diets based on Leucaena (Leucaena leucocephala(Lam.) de Wit) for pigs. Influence of the inclusion of zeolite, J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 6,1371-1376.
- Moore, P. A. Jr., Daniel, T. C., Edwards, D. R., Miller, D. M., 1995, Effect of chemical amendments on ammonia volatilization from poultry litter, J. Environ. Qual., 24, 294-300.
- Pasha, T. N., Farooq, M. U., Khattak, F. M., Jabbar, M. A., Khan, A. D., 2007, Effectiveness of sodium bentonite and two commercial products as aflatoxin absorbents in diets for broiler chickens, Anim. Feed Sci. Technol., 132, 103-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.03.014
- Safaei, M., Boldaji, F., Dastar, B., Hassani, S., Taran, M. 2014. Economic analysis using silicate minerals in broiler chickens diets, ABAH Bioflux., 6,216-223.
- Safaeikatouli, M., Boldaji, F., Dastar, B., Hassani, S., 2010, Effect of different levels of kaolin, bentonite and zeolite on broilers performance, J. Biol Sci., 10, 58-62. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2010.58.62
- Safaeikatouli M., Jafariahangari Y., Mutalib M. S. A., Rezaei R., 2014 Evaluation usage of kaolin and zeolite in broiler diet on litter quality, Asian. J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 9:64-70. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2014.64.70
- Slamova, R., Trckova, M., Vondruskova, H., Zraly, Z., Pavlik, I., 2011, Clay minerals in animal nutrition, Appl. Clay. Sci., 51, 395-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2011.01.005
- Zhang, J., Lv, Y., Tang, C., Wang, X., 2013, Effects of dietary supplementation with palygorskite on intestinal integrity in weaned piglets, Appl Clay Sci., 86, 185-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2013.10.009
- Zhou, P., Tan, Y. Q., Zhang, L., Zhou, Y. M., Gao, F., Zhou, G. H., 2014, Effects of dietary supplementation with the combination of zeolite and attapulgite on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, secretion of digestive enzymes and intestinal health in broiler chickens, Asian-Australas J. Anim Sci., 27, 1311-1318. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14241
- SAS., 2002, SAS/STAT Software for PC, Release 9.1, SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC, USA.