- Volume 27 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Molecular Dynamics Study of the Interaction of Oxygen Molecules with a Water Droplet
- Ambrosia, Matthew Stanley (Department of Environmental Administration, Catholic University of Pusan)
- Received : 2018.10.12
- Accepted : 2018.10.25
- Published : 2018.10.31
Water and oxygen are two of the most essential molecules for many species on earth. Their unique properties have been studied in many areas of science. In this study, the interaction of water and oxygen molecules was observed at the nano-scale. Using molecular dynamics, a water droplet with 30,968 water molecules was simulated. Then, 501 oxygen molecules were introduced into the domain. A few oxygen molecules were attracted to the surface of the water droplet due to van der Waals forces, and some oxygen molecules actually entered the water droplet. These interactions were visualized and quantified at four temperatures ranging from 280 to 370 K. It was found that at high temperatures, there was a higher possibility of the oxygen molecules penetrating the water droplet than that at lower temperatures. However, at lower temperatures, oxygen molecules were more likely to be found interacting at the surface of the water droplet than at high temperatures.
Supported by : Catholic University of Pusan
- Ambrosia, M. S., Ha, M. Y., Balachandar, S., 2014, Dynamic hydrophobicity on flat and pillared graphite surfaces with different pillar surface fractions, J Mech Sci Technol, 28(2), 669-677. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-1178-4
- Ambrosia, M. S., 2017, A Study of a nano-sized water droplet's transition from a flat surface to a pillared surface, J Mech Sci Technol, 31(2), 807-812. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-017-0132-2
- Ambrosia, M. S., Ha, M. Y., 2018, A molecular dynamics study of Wenzel state water droplets on anisotropic surfaces, Computers & Fluids, 163, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2017.12.013
- Babcock, G. T., 1999, How oxygen is activated and reduced in respiration, PNAS, 96(23), 12971-12973. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.23.12971
- Bernardi, R. C., Melo, M. C., Schulten, K., 2015, Enhanced sampling techniques in molecular dynamics simulations of biological systems, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - General Subjects, 1850(5), 872-877. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2014.10.019
- Chen, A., Wang, Z., Yang, J., 2016, Influence of bubble size on the fluid dynamic behavior of a DAF tank: a 3D numerical investigation, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 495, 200-207.
- Edzwald, J. K., 2010, Dissolved air flotation and me, Water Research, 44(7), 2077-2106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2009.12.040
- Lee, C. H., Ahn, K. H., 2014, Comparison of Dissolved Air and Micro-Bubble Concentration by a Micro-Bubble Generating Pump, Journal of Environmental Science International, 23(11), 1835-1842. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.11.1835
- Lee, C. H., Ambrosia, M. S., 2016, Release of Oxygen from a Nano-sized Water Droplet Observed using Molecular Dynamics. Journal of Environmental Science International, 25(7), 927-935. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.7.927
- Marco, A., Esplugas, S., Saum, G., 1997, How and why combine chemical and biological processes for wastewater treatment, Water Science and Technology, 35(4), 321-327.
- Molinari, R., Palmisano, L., Drioli, E., Schiavello, M., 2002, Studies on various reactor configurations for coupling photocatalysis and membrane processes in water purification, Journal of Membrane Science, 206(1 2), 399-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(01)00785-2
- Phillips, J. C., Braun, R., Wang, W., Gumbart, J., Tajkhorshid, E., Villa, E., Schulten, K. 2005, Scalable molecular dynamics with NAMD, Journal of computational chemistry, 26(16), 1781-1802. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.20289
- Pouet, M. F., Grasmick, A., 1995, Urban wastewater treatment by electrocoagulation and flotation, Water science and technology, 31(3-4), 275-283.
- Radzuan, M. A., Belope, M. A. B., Thorpe, R. B., 2016, Removal of fine oil droplets from oil-in-water mixtures by dissolved air flotation, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 115(A), 19-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2016.09.013
- Rodrigues, J. P., Bettega, R., 2018, Evaluation of multiphase CFD models for Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF) process, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 539, 116-123.
- Rodrigues, R. T., Rubio, J., 2007, DAF dissolved air flotation: Potential applications in the mining and mineral processing industry, International Journal of Mineral Processing, 82(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.minpro.2006.07.019
- Shutova, Y., Karna, B. L., Hambly, A. C., Lau, B., Henderson, R. K., Le-Clech, P., 2016, Enhancing organic matter removal in desalination pretreatment systems by application of dissolved air flotation, Desalination, 383, 12-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2015.12.018
- Soper, A. K., Phillips, M. G., 1986, A New determination of the structure of water at 25 C, Chemical Physics, 107(1), 47-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-0104(86)85058-3
- Sulman, H. L., Picard, H. F. K., Ballot, J., 1905, Ore concentration, US Patent, No. 835120.
- Wiley, P. E., Brenneman, K. J., Jacobson, A. E., 2009, Improved algal harvesting using suspended air flotation, Water Environment Research, 81(7), 702-708. https://doi.org/10.2175/106143009X407474
- Zambrano, H. A., Walther, J. H., Jaffe, R.L., 2014, Molecular dynamics simulations of water on a hydrophilic silica surface at high air pressures, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 198, 107-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2014.06.003
- Zhang, Q., Liu, S., Yang, C., Chen, F., Lu, S., 2014, Bioreactor consisting of pressurized aeration and dissolved air flotation for domestic wastewater treatment, Separation and Purification Technology, 138, 186-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2014.10.024
- Zouboulis, A. I., Avranas, A., 2000, Treatment of oil-in-water emulsions by coagulation and dissolved-air flotation, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 172(1-3), 153-161.