- Volume 27 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Long-term Changes in Water Quality of Geumho River using Statistical Techniques
- Jung, Kang (Yeongsan River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Young (Yeongsan River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Cho, Sohyun (Yeongsan River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Ha, Don (Yeongsan River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- woo (Yeongsan River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Kang, Tae (School of Architecture, Civil, Environmental and Energy Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- woo (Yeongsan River Environment Research Center, National Institute of Environmental Research)
- Received : 2018.10.11
- Accepted : 2018.10.23
- Published : 2018.10.31
In this study, water quality data of eight main sites in the Geumho River watershed were collected and analyzed for long-term changes in water quality over the period from 2005 to 2015. The results showed that BOD concentration was gradually improved by the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL), stages 1 and 2. Recently, a tendency of increasing BOD concentration was observed in the downstream section of the river. The concentration of COD was analyzed to be contaminated throughout the water system regardless of the water quality improvement project, and the TN concentration tended to increase in the midstream of the river from 2013. The TP concentration has clearly decreased from 2012 after the second stage of TMDL. For the statistical analysis of PCA ordination, monthly water qualities (pH, DO, Electrical Conductivity (EC), Water Temperature (WT), BOD, COD, TN, TP, TOC, and SS) and flow rate data for 5 years from 2012 to 2016 were used. Seasonally the Geumho River showed an increase in the TN concentration at point sources during the dry season (December to February). TP showed the effect of non-point sources in the summer, because rainfall has caused a rise in flow rate in the upstream. Besides, the origin of pollution source was changed from non-point sources with BOD, COD, and TOC.
Regional/seasonal Kendall test;Geumho river;PCA ordination statistical analysis
Supported by : National Institute of Environment Research (NIER)
- Barringer, T. H., Dunn, D., Battaglin, W. A., Vowinkel, E. F., 1990, Problem and methods involved in relating land use to ground-water quality, Water Res., 26, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR026i001p00001
- Choi, B. D., 2004, The function or urban river and sustainable regional development: The case of Kumho river, Journal of Korean association of regional geographers, 10, 757-774.
- Choi, B. K., 2002, Pollution load allocation for total pollution load management, Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Environmental Studies Hanyang University, 25-30.
- Choi, J. Y., Lee, S. Y., Kim., L. H., 2009, Wash-off characteristics of NPS pollutants from forest landuse, J-KOSHAM, 9, 129-134.
- Cleveland, W. S., 1993, Visualizing data, Hobart Press, New York.
- Dabrowski, J. M., De Klerk, L. P., 2013, An assessment of the impact of different land use activities on water quality in the upper Olifants River catchment, Water SA., 39, pp. 231-244.
- Daegu regional environmental agency, 2005, Living, breathing Geumho : water quality and ecological survey in 2005 Geumho tributary, Daegu regional environmental agency, Daegu, Korea.
- Helsel, D. R., Frans, L. M., 2006, Regional kendall test for trend, Environmental Science & Technology, 40, 4066-4073. https://doi.org/10.1021/es051650b
- Hirsch, R. M., Slack, J. R., 1984, A nonparametric trend test for seasonal data with serial dependence, Water Resources Research, 20, 727-732. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR020i006p00727
- Hwang, B. G., Jeong, H. J., 2002, The management planning of pollutant loading allocation in the Kumho river basin, J. Environ. Sci., 11, 1125-1131.
- Jacoby, W. G., 2000, Loess: a nonparametric, graphical tool for depicting relationships between variables. Electoral Studies, 19, 577-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-3794(99)00028-1
- Jung, J. W., Lim, B. J., Cho, S. H., Choi, J. H., Song, K. D., Ha, D. W., Kim, H. S., Park, S. H., Hwang, T. H., Jung, S. J., Lee, D. J., 2012, The infiuence of land use on water quality in the tributary of the Yeongsan river basin, Korean J. Limnol., 45, 412-419(b). https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2012.45.4.412
- Jung, K. Y., 2018, Statistical analysis of water quality improvement grade classification and water environmental pollution assessment, Doctorate Thesis, Energy Engineering Major in Civil Engineering Kyungpook National University, 1-10.
- Jung, K. Y., Aha, J. M., Lee, K. L., Lee, I. J., Yu, J. J., Cheon, S. U., Kim, K. S., Han, K. Y., 2015, Temporal and spatial analysis of non-biodegradable organic pollutants in the Geumho river system, J. Environ. Sci., 24, 1343-1362.
- Jung, K. Y., Im, T. H., Kim, K. H., Lee, I. J., Yoon, J. S., Heo, S. N., 2012, Development and application of coliform load duration curve for the Geumho river, J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 28, 890-895(a).
- Jung, K. Y., Lee, I. J., Lee, K. L., Cheon, S. U., Hong, J. Y., Ahn, J. M., 2016, Long-term trend analysis and exploratory data analysis of Geumho river based on seasonal Mann-Kendall test, J. Environ. Sci., 25, pp. 217-229.
- Kim, E. J,, Kim, Y. S., Rhew, D. H., Ryu, J. C., Park, B. K., 2014, A study on the water quality changes of TMDL unit watershed in Guem river basin using a nonparametric trend analysis, J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 30(2), pp. 148-158. https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2014.30.2.148
- Kim, J. H., 2001, Non-parametric tremd analysis of stream quality in Nakdong river, Master's Thesis, Ewha Womans University, pp. 6-7.
- Kim, J. H., 2016, Dynamics and changes of water quality on Kumho river, Master's Thesis, Department of Environmental Science Graduate School Keimyung University, 1-5.
- Kim, J. H., Park, S. S., 2004, Long-term trend analysis of water qualities in Nakdong river based on non-parametric statistical methods, J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 28, 574-581.
- Kim, J. T., 2014, Lowess and outlier analysis of biological oxygen demand on Nakdong main stream river, Journal of Korean Data & Information Science Society, 25, 119-130. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.1.119
- Lee, E. J., 2013, Application of FDC and LDC using HSPF model to support total water load management system, Doctoral Dissertation, Cheongju University, 1-4.
- Lee, H. W., Park, S. S., 2008, Long-term trend analysis of water qualities in Mangyung watershed, J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 24, 480-487.
- NEWSWIRE, 2015, http://www.newswire.co.kr/newsRead.php?no=781184
- Park, J. H., Moon, M. J., Kim, K. S., 2014, Analysis of relationship between water quality parameters with land use in Yeongsan river basin, J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 23, 19-27.
- Park, J. H., Park, B. K., Lee J. K., Rhew, D. H., 2013, Necessity of refractory organic matters management in total maximum daily loads (TMDLs), J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 29, 393-399.
- Water information system (WEIS), 2018, http://water.nier.go.kr/.
- Yang, D. S., Bae, H. K., 2012, The effect of branches on Kumho river's water quality, J. Environ. Sci., 21, 1245-1253.
- Yun, S. Y., 2014, Study on water quality improvement measures according to T-P standard enforcement of wastewater treatment plant, Master's Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering the Graduate School of ChungAng University, 34-35.