- Volume 27 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Andong Dam Inflow during Non-rainfall Season
- Park, Gey-Hwan (Department of Environment Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Park, Ki-Bum (School of Construction Engineering, Kyungil University) ;
- Chang, In-Soo (Department of Environment Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2018.10.04
- Accepted : 2018.10.23
- Published : 2018.10.31
In this study, the runoff characteristics of the non-rainfall period were examined using daily rainfall data from 1977 to 2017 and the data of runoff into the dam. Results showed that, the mean runoff decreases with longer non-rainfall periods in the Andong dam basin. The correlation coefficient between non-rainfall days and average runoff reaches 0.85. The results of the analysis of the runoff characteristics during the non-rainfall period, based on the preceding rainfall of Andong dam are as follows. The runoff characteristics of the entire non-rainfall period, shows that, for a rainfall of 1.0 mm or less, the runoff height was larger than the rainfall size and the base runoff larger. The correlation between the antecedent rainfall and runoff height was reached as high as 0.9864 in the 30 ~ 50 mm interval of the antecedent rainfall period, and this is the interval where the linearity of rainfall and runoff was at its maximum in the Andong dam basin. The correlation between the antecedent rainfall and the runoff height reached 0.92 for rainfalls of 100.0 mm. However, for rainfalls of 100.0 mm greater, the correlation between the antecedent rainfall and runoff height during the rainfall period was 0.64, which is relatively small. In this study, we investigated the runoff characteristics of the rainfall period in the Andong dam watershed. As a result, it was confirmed that the mean runoff decreased with rainfall duration. The linearity was found to be weak for rainfall events greater than 100.0 mm. The results of this study can be used as data for water balance analysis and for formulating a water supply plan to establish water resource management of Andong dam.
- Chang, H. J., Lee, H. S., 2015, "Assesment of continuous simulations of rainfall runoff models based on soil moisture accounting models at Guem River catchments, Korea", J. KOSHAM, 15, 231-242.
- Cho, H. J., Kim, J. S., Lee, K. B., 2000, "Long-term runoff analysis using the TOPMODEL", J. KWRA, 33, 393-405.
- Gawk, Y. S., Kim, S. J., Lee, E. H., Hamm, S. Y., Kim, S. H., 2016, "Soil water storage and antecedent precipitation index at Gwangneung Humid-Forested Hillslope", J. Kor. Agri. and Forest met. 18, 30-41.
- Im, S. S., Yoo, D. G., Kim, J. H., 2012, "Improvement of GR4J model applying soil moisture accounting process and its application in Korea Basin", J. KOSHAM, 12, 255-262.
- Jung, Y. Y., Koh, D. C., Han, H. S., Kwon, H. I., Kim, E. K., 2016, "Estimation of stream discharge using antecedent precipitation index models in a small mountainous forested catchment : Upper Reach of Yongsucheon Stream, Gyeryongsan Mountain", J. soil and groundwater envi., 21, 36-45. https://doi.org/10.7857/JSGE.2016.21.6.036
- Kang, H. Y., Lee, S. H., Kim, J. S., 2015, "Characteristics changes of hydrologic variability at multi-purpose dams in Korea", J. KOSHAM, 15, 123-130.
- Kim, T. C., Ahn, B. K., Park, S. K., 1989, "Estimation of effective rainfall for daily streamflow", J. KSAE, 31, 116-124.
- Lee, M. W., Yi, C. S., Kim, H. S., Shim, M. P., 2005, "Determination of suitable antecedent precipitation day for the application of NRCS method in the Korean Basin", J. Kor. Wet. Soc., 7, 41-48.
- Richard, B. D., Baumgather, J. V., Wigniton, R. Braunm, D, P., 1997, "How much water does a river need?", Freshwater Biologyy, 37, 231-249. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2427.1997.00153.x
- Saxon, K. E., Lenz, A. T., 1967, "Antecedent retention indexes predict soil moisture", J. Hydrau. Div. 93, 223-244.
- Yang, S. K., Kim, D. S., Jung, W. Y., 2014, "Rainfall -runoff characteristics in a Jeju Stream considering antecedent precipitation", J. Envir. Sci. Inter., 23, 553-560. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.4.553
- Yoon, G. N., Shin, H. S., Kim, Y. T., 2015, "Effect of antecedent rainfall on infiltration characteristics in unsaturated Soil", J. Kor. Geoth. Soc., 31, 5-15.
- Zhao, Y., F, Wei., H, Yang., Jiang, Y., 2011, "Discussion on using antecedent precipitation index to supplement relative soil moisture data series", Proce. Envi. Sci. 10, 1489-1495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2011.09.237