- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Emulator for Generating Heterogeneous Interference Signals in the Korean RFID/USN Frequency Band
- Lee, Sangjoon (Department of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Yoon, Hyungoo (Department of Computer and Electronic Engineering, Myongji College) ;
- Baik, Kyung-Jin (Department of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Jang, Byung-Jun (Department of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2018.05.21
- Accepted : 2018.08.22
- Published : 2018.10.31
In this study, we suggest an emulator for generating multiple heterogeneous interference signals in the Korean radio frequency identification/ubiquitous sensor network (RFID/USN) frequency band. The proposed emulator uses only one universal software radio peripheral to generate multiple heterogeneous interference signals more economically. Moreover, the physical and media access control parameters can be adjusted in real time using the LabVIEW program, thereby making it possible to create various time-varying interference environments easily. As an example showing the capability of the proposed emulator, multiple interference signals consisting of a frequency-hopping RFID signal and two LoRa signals with different spreading factors were generated. The generated signals were confirmed in both frequency and time domains. From the experimental results, we verified that our emulator could successfully generate multiple heterogeneous interference signals with different frequency and time domain characteristics.
Emulator;Frequency Interference;LoRa;RFID;RFID/USN Band;Software-Defined Radio (SDR)
- H. Zhang, X. Chu, W. Guo, and S. Wang, "Coexistence of Wi-Fi and heterogeneous small cell networks sharing unlicensed spectrum," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 158-164, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2015.7060498
- H. Yoon and B. J. Jang, "Performance degradation of WPAN system due to UHF RFID interference," in Proceedings of 2013 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), Nuremberg, Germany, 2013, pp. 120-123.
- W. Liu, E. De Poorter, J. Hoebeke, E. Tanghe, W. Joseph, P. Willemen, M. Mehari, X. Jiao, and I. Moerman, "Assessing the coexistence of heterogeneous wireless technologies with an SDR-based signal emulator: a case study of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 1755-1766, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2017.2654256
- L. Angrisani, M. Bertocco, D. Fortin, and A. Sona, "Experimental study of coexistence issues between IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.15.4 wireless networks," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1514-1523, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2008.925346
- N. Shahin, N. J. LaSorte, S. A. Rajab, and H. H. Refai, "802.11 g channel characterization utilizing LabVIEW and NIUSRP," in Proceedings of 2013 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2-MTC), Minneapolis, MN, 2013, pp. 753-756.
- H. Yoon, J. Um, J. S. Park, and B. J. Jang, "SDR-based frequency interference emulator in the space-time domain and its application," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 58-62, 2018. https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2018.18.1.58
- D. Y. Kim, H. Yoon, B. J. Jang, and J. G. Yook, "Effects of reader-to-reader interference on the UHF RFID interrogation range," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 2337-2346, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2012451
- H. Yoon, J. Um, and B. J. Jang, "Performance analysis of a LoRa device on duty cycle local regulation of Korean RFID/USN frequency band," Journal of Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 113-119, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2017.28.2.113
- LoRa Alliance, "LoRaWAN specifications," 2015; https://www.lora-alliance.org/.
- "SX1272/3/6/7/8: LoRa modem design guide: low energy consumption design," Semtech Corporation, Camarillo, CA, Tech Rep. SX1272/3/6/7/8, 2013.
- A. Marwanto, M. A. Sarijari, N. Fisal, S. K. S. Yusof, and R. A. Rashid, "Experimental study of OFDM implementation utilizing GNU Radio and USRP-SDR," in Proceedings of 2009 IEEE 9th Malaysia International Conference on Communications (MICC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2009, pp. 132-135.
- J. S. Park, H. Yoon, and B. J. Jang, "SDR-based frequency interference analysis test-bed considering time domain characteristic of interferer," in Proceedings of 2016 18th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), Pyeongchang, Korea, 2016, pp. 517-521.