- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of a Tapered Rectangular Waveguide for V to W Millimeter Wavebands
- Lee, Sangsu (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Son, Dongchan (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Kwon, Jae-Yong (Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science) ;
- Park, Yong Bae (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2018.06.02
- Accepted : 2018.08.11
- Published : 2018.10.31
An electromagnetic boundary-value problem of a tapered rectangular waveguide is rigorously solved based on eigenfunction expansion and the mode-matching method. Scattering parameters of the tapered rectangular waveguide are represented in a series form and calculated in terms of different rectangular waveguide combinations. Computation is performed to analyze reflection and transmission characteristics. Conductor loss by surface current density is also calculated and discussed.
Conductor Loss;Mode-Matching Method;Tapered Rectangular Waveguide
Supported by : Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science
- F. Arndt, I. Ahrens, U. Papziner, U. Wiechmann, and R. Wilkeit, "Optimized E-plane T-junction series power dividers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1052-1059, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133805
- A. Knisely, M. Havrilla, and P. Collins, "Biaxial anisotropic sample design and rectangular to square waveguide material characterization system," in Proceedings of 2015 9th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics (Metamaterials), Oxford, UK, 2015, pp. 346-348.
- L. Christie and P. Mondal, "Mode matching method for the analysis of cascaded discontinuities in a rectangular waveguide," Procedia Computer Science, vol. 93, pp. 251-258, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2016.07.208
- T. Shibata and T. Itoh, "Generalized-scattering-matrix modeling of waveguide circuits using FDTD field simulations," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 1742-1751, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.734574
- J. A. Torres and J. J. Saenz, "Improved generalized scattering matrix method: conduction through ballistic nanowires," Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 2182-2193, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1143/JPSJ.73.2182
- T. Wriedt, K. H. Wolff, F. Arndt, and U. Tucholke, "Rigorous hybrid field theoretic design of stepped rectangular waveguide mode converters including the horn transitions into half-space," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 780-790, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.29365
- Y. B. Park, K. C. Hwang, and I. Park, "Mode matching analysis of a tapered coaxial tip in a parallel-plate waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 152-154, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2008.916773
- R. C. Johnson, "Design of linear double tapers in rectangular waveguides," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 374-378, 1959. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1959.1124594
- S. Dwari, A. Chakraborty, and S. Sanyal, "Analysis of linear tapered waveguide by two approaches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, vol. 64, pp. 219-238, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER06071902
- C. A. Balanis, Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2012.
- D. M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2011.
- H. Patzelt and F. Arndt, "Double-plane steps in rectangular waveguides and their application for transformers, irises, and filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 771-776, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1982.1131135
- J. Bornemann and F. Arndt, "Modal-s-matrix design of optimum stepped ridged and finned waveguide transformers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 561-567, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133704