- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Optimal Frequency Band for a Ballistic Missile Defense Radar System
- Nguyen, Dang-An (Department of Information Communication, Materials, and Chemistry Convergence Technology, Soongsil University) ;
- Cho, Byoungho (Department of Information Communication, Materials, and Chemistry Convergence Technology, Soongsil University) ;
- Seo, Chulhun (Department of Information Communication, Materials, and Chemistry Convergence Technology, Soongsil University) ;
- Park, Jeongho (LIG Nex1 Company) ;
- Lee, Dong-Hui (LIG Nex1 Company)
- Received : 2018.02.23
- Accepted : 2018.06.19
- Published : 2018.10.31
In this paper, we consider the anti-attack procedure of a ballistic missile defense system (BMDS) at different operating frequencies at its phased-array radar station. The interception performance is measured in terms of lateral divert (LD), which denotes the minimum acceleration amount available in an interceptor to compensate for prediction error for a successful intercept. Dependence of the frequency on estimation accuracy that leads directly to prediction error is taken into account, in terms of angular measurement noises. The estimation extraction is performed by means of an extended Kalman filter (EKF), considering two typical re-entry trajectories of a non-maneuvering ballistic missile (BM). The simulation results show better performance at higher frequency for both tracking and intercepting aspects.
Intercepting Prediction;Kalman Filter;Midway Guidance;Terminal Guidance;Tracking Radar
- A. Blencowe, "Pursuing peace with the weapons of war: ballistic missile defence and international security," 2009; https://www.e-ir.info/2009/09/05/pursuing-peace-with-theweapons-of-war-ballistic-missile-defence-and-internationalsecurity/.
- Y. Y. Chen and K. Y. Young, "An intelligent radar predictor for high-speed moving-target tracking," in Proceedings of 2002 IEEE Region 10 Conference on Computers, Communications, Control and Power Engineering, Beijing, China, 2002, pp. 1638-1641.
- P. Zarchan, "Ballistic missile defense guidance and control issues," Science & Global Security, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 99-124, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/08929889908426470
- M. A. Richards, J. Scheer, and W. A. Holm, Principles of Modern Radar: Basic Principles. Raleigh, NC: SciTech Publishing, 2010.
- G. Richard Curry, Radar System Performance Modeling, 2nd ed. Boston, MA: Artech House, 2005.
- IEEE Standard for letter designations for radar-frequency bands (revision of IEEE 521-1984), IEEE 521-2002, 2002.
- X. R. Li and V. P. Jilkov, "Survey of maneuvering target tracking. Part II: Motion models of ballistic and space targets," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 96-119, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2010.5417150
- Y. Kashiwagi, Prediction of Ballistic Missile Trajectories. Menlo Park, CA: Stanford Research Institute, 1968.
- M. Dressler and W. Ross, Real Time Implementation of the Kalman Filter for Trajectory Estimation. Menlo Park, CA: Stanford Research Institute, 1968.
- X. R. Li and V. P. Jilkov, "Survey of maneuvering target tracking. III. Measurement models," in Signal and Data Processing of Small Targets 2001. Bellingham, WA: International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2001, pp. 423-447.
- R. E. Kalman, "A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems," Journal of Basic Engineering, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 35-45, 1960. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3662552
- M. I. Ribeiro, "Kalman and extended Kalman filters: concept, derivation and properties," Institute for Systems and Robotics, Lisbon, Portugal, 2004.
- P. Zarchan, Tactical and Strategic Missile Guidance, 6th ed. Washington, DC: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Inc., 2012.
- M. I. Skolnik, Radar Handbook, 2nd ed. Singapore: McGraw-Hill, 1991.