- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Control of Power Distribution for Multiple Receivers in SIMO Wireless Power Transfer System
- Kim, Gunyoung (Department of Electronics Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Boo, Seunghyun (Department of Electronics Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Sanghoek (Department of Electronics Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Lee, Bomson (Department of Electronics Engineering, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2018.02.08
- Accepted : 2018.06.19
- Published : 2018.10.31
A method to control the power distribution among receivers by the load values in a single-input, multiple-output (SIMO) wireless power transfer (WPT) system is investigated. We first derive the value of loads to maximize total efficiency. Next, a simple, but effective analytical formula of the load condition for the desired power distribution ratio is presented. The derived load solutions are simply given by system figure of merits and desired power ratios. The formula is validated with many numerical examples via electromagnetic simulations. We demonstrate that with the choice of loads from this simple formula, the power can be conveniently and accurately distributed among receivers for most practical requirements in SIMO WPT systems.
Optimum Load;Power Distribution;Single-Input Multi-Output;Transfer Efficiency;Wireless Power Transfer
Supported by : Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion (IITP)
- A. Kurs, A. Karalis, R. Moffatt, J. D. Joannopoulos, P. Fisher, and M. Soljacic, "Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonance," Science, vol. 317, no. 5834, pp. 83-86, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1143254
- B. H. Choi and J. H. Lee "Design of asymmetrical relay resonators for maximum efficiency of wireless power transfer," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, vol. 2016, article ID. 8247476, 2016.
- G. Kim, T. K. Oh, and B. Lee, "Effects of metamaterial slabs applied to wireless power transfer at 13.56 MHz," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, vol. 2015, article ID 840135, 2015.
- Y. Cho, J. J. Kim, D. H. Kim, S. Lee, H. Kim, C. Song, et al., "Thin PCB-type metamaterials for improved efficiency and reduced EMF leakage in wireless power transfer systems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 353-364, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2015.2514090
- M. Q. Nguyen, D. Plesa, S. Rao, and J. C. Chiao, "A multiinput and multi-output wireless energy transfer system," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Tampa, FL, 2014, pp. 1-3.
- S. Kim and B. Lee, "Analysis of efficiencies for multipleinput multiple-output wireless power transfer systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 126-133, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2016.16.2.126
- A. Kurs, R. Moffatt, and M. Soljacic, "Simultaneous midrange power transfer to multiple devices," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 96, no. 4, article no. 044102, 2010.
- E. Bou-Balust, A. P. Hu, and E. Alarcon, "Scalability analysis of SIMO non-radiative resonant wireless power transfer systems based on circuit models," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 2574-2583, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2015.2469015
- J. M. Park and S. W. Nam, "Analysis of wireless power transfer characteristics for multiple receivers by time sharing technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 183-185, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2011.11.3.183
- Y. J. Kim, D. Ha, W. J. Chappell, and P. P. Irazoqui, "Selective wireless power transfer for smart power distribution in a miniature-sized multiple-receiver system," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1853-1862, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2493142
- M. Fu, T. Zhang, C. Ma, and X. Zhu, "Efficiency and optimal loads analysis for multiple-receiver wireless power transfer systems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 801-812, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2015.2398422
- M. R. V. Moghadam and R. Zhang, "Multiuser wireless power transfer via magnetic resonant coupling: performance analysis, charging control, and power region characterization," IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing over Networks, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 72-83, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSIPN.2015.2505904
- K. E. Koh, T. C. Beh, T. Imura, and Y. Hori, "Impedance matching and power division using impedance inverter for wireless power transfer via magnetic resonant coupling," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 50, no. 3 pp. 2061-2070, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2287310
- K. Lee and D. H. Cho, "Analysis of wireless power transfer for adjustable power distribution among multiple receivers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 14, pp. 950-953, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2388711
- M. Fu, H. Yin, and C. Ma, "Megahertz multiple-receiver wireless power transfer systems with power flow management and maximum efficiency point tracking," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 4285-4293, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2017.2689747
- M. Liu, M. Fu, Y. Wang, and C. Ma, "Battery cell equalization via megahertz multiple-receiver wireless power transfer," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 4135-4144, 2017.
- G. Kim and B. Lee, "Alternative expressions for mutual inductance and coupling coefficient applied in wireless power transfer," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 112-118, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2016.16.2.112
- G. Kim and B. Lee, "Analysis of magnetically coupled wireless power transfer between two resonators based on power conservation," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference, Jeju, Korea, 2014, pp. 231-234.
- C. J. Kim and B. Lee, "Analysis of magnetically coupled wireless power transmission for maximum efficiency," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 156-160, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2011.11.3.156
- M. Kiani, U. M. Jow, and M. Ghovanloo, "Design and optimization of a 3-coil inductive link for efficient wireless power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 579-591, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBCAS.2011.2158431