- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Dual-Band Microstrip Patch Antenna with Switchable Orthogonal Linear Polarizations
- Kim, Jeongin (Department of Electronic Engineering, Kyonggi University) ;
- Sung, Youngje (Department of Electronic Engineering, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2018.01.18
- Accepted : 2018.06.19
- Published : 2018.10.31
This study presents a dual-band polarization-reconfigurable antenna that comprises a large square patch with a pair of corner-cut edges and two small square patches with a shorting via. Two PIN diodes are located between the large square patch and two small square patches. Depending on the bias state applied to the two PIN diodes, each small patch may be disconnected or connected to the large square patch. As a result, the proposed antenna can provide polarization reconfigurability between two orthogonal linear polarizations. Further, the proposed antenna operates at 2.51 GHz and 2.71 GHz. From the measured results, the proposed antenna shows a 10 dB bandwidth of 2.39% (2.49-2.55 GHz) and 2.58% (2.68-2.75 GHz). In this work, the frequency ratio can be easily controlled by changing the size of the small patch.
Dual-Band Reconfigurable Antenna;Polarization-Reconfigurable Antenna;Switchable Orthogonal Linear Polarizations
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- F. Meng and S. K. Sharma, "Single feed dual-frequency orthogonal linear-polarization microstrip patch antenna with large frequency ratio," in Proceedings of 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Vancouver, Canada, 2015, pp. 836-837.
- P. Y. Qin, Y. J. Guo, and C. Ding, "A dual-band polarization reconfigurable antenna for WLAN systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 5706-5713, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2013.2279219
- S. S. Oh and L. Shafai, "Investigation into polarization of unloaded and loaded microstrip square-ring antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 3129-3135, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2008.928772
- D. Seo and Y. Sung, "Stacked open-loop square ring antenna for circular polarization operation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 14, pp. 835-838, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2380358
- Y. Wang, F. Zhu, and S. Gao, "Design and investigation of differential-fed ultra-wideband patch antenna with polarization diversity," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, vol. 2016, article ID. 4254830, 2016.
- D. Seo and Y. Sung, "A reconfigurable square ring antenna for switchable circular polarization," Electronics Letters, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 438-440, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2014.4362
- W. Lin and H. Wong, "Wideband circular polarization reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 63, no. 12, pp. 5938-5944, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2015.2489210
- Y. Huang, J. Geng, X. Liang, R. Jin, and X. Bai, "A novel CP horn antenna with switchable polarization by single port feeding," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, vol. 2015, article ID. 562521, 2015.
- C. Y. D. Sim, Y. J. Liao, and H. L. Lin, "Polarization reconfigurable eccentric annular ring slot antenna design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 4152-4155, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2015.2443173
- H. Gu, J. Wang, L. Ge, and C. Y. D. Sim, "A new quadri-polarization reconfigurable circular patch antenna," IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 4646-4651, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2600250
- S. L. Chen, F. Wei, P. Y. Qin, Y. J. Guo, and X. Chen, "A multi-linear polarization reconfigurable unidirectional patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 4299-4304, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2712185
- Y. Li, Z. Zhang, W. Chen, and Z. Feng, "Polarization reconfigurable slot antenna with polarization reconfigurable slot antenna with a novel compact CPW-to-slotline transition for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 9, pp. 252-255, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2010.2046006
- T. Tokunaga, M. Yamamoto, T. Nojima, and K. Itoh, "Polarization switchable microstrip array antenna using proximity feeding technique," Electronics Letters, vol. 39, no. 22, pp. 1569-1570, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20031019