- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Emotional Labor and Emotional Health of Korean Optician in Chungcheongnam-do
충남지역 안경사의 감정노동과 정서적 건강에 관한 연구
- Hong, Kyung-Hee (Dept. of Optometry, Sungduk C. University) ;
- Kim, Se-Jin (Dept. of Optometry, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2018.08.10
- Accepted : 2018.09.19
- Published : 2018.09.30
Purpose : This study was conducted to investigate and analyze Korean opticians' emotional clarity and emotional expressivity related to their surface behavior, emotional self-awareness, and expression of emotional labor, and to understand the interrelationship between their emotional labor and emotional health. Methods : It was measured, using a survey emotional labor scale, emotional clarity and emotional expressivity classified into inner behavior and surface behavior with 343 opticians from April to May in 2018. Results : The scores for emotional labor, emotional clarity, and emotional expressivity of Korean opticians were 16.39, 33.80, and 50.56, respectively. Since the scores of emotional clarity and emotional expressivity were higher than those of men, the results showed that women were emotional more clearly and expressed it than men. The surface behavior of emotional labor showed a negative correlation with the emotional clarity and emotional expressivity. The emotional clarity and emotional expressivity of Korean opticians differed according to the surface behavior of emotional labor. Conclusions : It was revealed from this study that the influential relationship with the emotional health of emotional laborers who make more efforts to express their emotions in disguise that they do not actually feel, or feel the emotions in their working places that require less clear awareness of emotion or less emotional expressivity. Afterwards, follow-up studies will be required for Korean opticians in order that they are treated respectfully and feel a high sense of accomplishment through a national survey by introducing a emotional health program for emotional awareness and expressions resulting from opticians' emotional labor.
- Lee SY: A study on the emotional labor, emotional exhaustion and turnover intention of call center tele-communicators. Venture of Hoseo University PhD Thesis, pp. 28-54, 2008.
- Hwang SM: Impacts of flight attendants' emotional labor on exhaustion and Job transferin airline industry. Kunghee University MS Thesis, pp. 7-22, 2011.
- Emmons RA, Colby P: Emotional conflict and well-being : relation to perceived availability, daily utilization and observer reports of social support. J Pers Soc Psychol. 68(5), 947-959, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- Kim KS, Kim SK et al.: A study on the level of emotional labor among opticians in Incheon. Korean J Vis Sci. 19(3), 217-228, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2017.19.3.217
- Kwon JY, Kim SK et al.: Analysis of relation between job stress and job satisfaction caused by emotional labor of optometrists. Asia-Pacific J Multimedia Services Convergent Art Humanities Sociol. 7(1), 317-326, 2017.
- Park SH: Development and effectiveness of emotional labor workers program for emotional regulation and stress coping. Seoul University of Buddhism PhD Thesis, pp. 1-55, 2016.
- Lee SJ, Lee HK: The research on the validation of the Trait Meta-Mood Scale: the domain exploration of the emotional intelligence. Korean J Soc Pers Psychol. 11(1), 95-116, 1997.
- Han JW: The influences of emotional expressivity on physical health and subjective well-being. Seoul National University MS Thesis, pp. 1-50, 1997.
- Woo YH: The influence of the organizational and job characteristic on the casino employees' the emotional labor and customer orientation. Kyonggi University PhD Thesis, pp. 90-125, 2008.
- Korean Employment Information Service, Available at http://www.keis.or.kr/user/extra/main/2107/publication/reportList/jsp/LayOutPage.do Accessed July 10, 2018.
- Lee WS, Ye KH: A study on the supply and demand of manpower by analyzing the current state of optical stores and optometrists in Korea. J Korean Oph Opt Soc. 22(4), 279-290, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.4.279
- Kim JS, Bae HJ et al.: A study on the emotional labor of Busan and Gyeongnam optician. Korean J Vis Sci. 17(1), 9-19, 2015.
- Salovey P, Mayer JD et al.: Emotional attention, clarity, and repair : Exploring emotional intelligence using the trait meta-mood scale. In Pennebaker JW(ed.), Emotion, disclosure, & health, Am Psychol Assoc. 125-154, 1995.
- Kwon MK: A study on the influence of emotional labor and social support on airline call center agent burnout. Kyonggi University MS Thesis, pp. 46-81, 2010.
- Song HJ: Effect of emotional labor on burnout and satisfaction: exploring the moderating role of organizational support. Yonsei University MS Thesis, pp. 48-83, 2015.