- Volume 51 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Intussusception after Colonoscopy: A Case Report and Review of Literature
- Hassan, Wan Amir Wan (Colorectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health, Monash University) ;
- Teoh, William (Colorectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health, Monash University)
- Received : 2018.03.12
- Accepted : 2018.05.21
- Published : 2018.11.30
Intussusception after colonoscopy is an unusual complication. A MEDLINE search revealed only 7 reported cases. We present a report of a 28-year-old man who developed abdominal pain several hours after routine colonoscopy and in whom computed tomography (CT) revealed colocolic intussusception. We postulate that this condition is iatrogenic and induced by suctioning of gas on withdrawal of the colonoscope. A common observation among the reported cases was abdominal pain several hours after colonoscopy and right-sided intussusception. All cases had colonoscopy reaching the right side of the colon. Treatment for adult intussusception remains controversial with regard to reduction versus resection, especially given the high association with a pathological cause and malignancy. Among the 8 reported cases, only the current case did not require surgery. A combination of benign colonoscopy, CT, and the clinical picture should provide sufficient information to initially choose a more conservative treatment approach.
- Weilbaecher D, Bolin JA, Hearn D, Ogden W 2nd. Intussusception in adults. Review of 160 cases. Am J Surg 1971;121:531-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9610(71)90133-4
- Sanders GB, Hagan WH, Kinnaird DW. Adult intussusception and carcinoma of the colon. Ann Surg 1958;147:796-804.
- Onkendi EO, Grotz TE, Murray JA, Donohue JH. Adult intussusception in the last 25 years of modern imaging: is surgery still indicated? J Gastrointest Surg 2011;15:1699-1705. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-011-1609-4
- Nagorney DM, Sarr MG, McIlrath DC. Surgical management of intussusception in the adult. Ann Surg 1981;193:230-236. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-198102000-00019
- Azar T, Berger DL. Adult intussusception. Ann Surg 1997;226:134-138. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199708000-00003
- Yamazaki T, Okamoto H, Suda T, et al. Intussusception in an adult after colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2000;51:356-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5107(00)70371-3
- Theodoropoulou A, Konstantinidis K, Kteniadakis S, et al. Intussusception following enteroscopy and ileo-colonoscopy in an adult with acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Endoscopy 2009;41 Suppl 2:E162-E163.
- Ho MM, Park JJ, Prasad LM. Post colonoscopy colonic intussusception reduced via a laparoscopic approach. JSLS 2010;14:596-599. https://doi.org/10.4293/108680810X12924466008727
- Nachnani J, Burns E, Margolin D, Clarkston WK. Colocolonic intussusception after colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2012;75:223-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2011.01.046
- Lasithiotakis K, Grisbolaki E, Filis D, Athanasakis I, Zoras O, Chalkiadakis G. Ileocolic intussusception precipitated by diagnostic colonoscopy: a case report. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2012;22:e161-e163. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLE.0b013e31824b230f
- Lee CK, Shim JJ, Jang JY. Ceco-colic intussusception with subsequent bowel infarction as a rare complication of colonoscopic polypectomy. Endoscopy 2013;45 Suppl 2 UCTN:E106-E107. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0032-1326345
- Min MX, Sklow B, Vaughn BP. Intussusception after routine colonoscopy: a rare complication. ACG Case Rep J 2017;4:e63. https://doi.org/10.14309/crj.2017.63
- Santos-Antunes J, Ramalho R, Lopes S, Macedo G. Colonic intussusception after endoscopic volvulus decompression. Int J Colorectal Dis 2015;30:1425. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-014-2115-4
- Marsicovetere P, Ivatury SJ, White B, Holubar SD. Intestinal intussusception: etiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Clin Colon Rectal Surg 2017;30:30-39.
- Kim YH, Blake MA, Harisinghani MG, et al. Adult intestinal intussusception: CT appearances and identification of a causative lead point. Radiographics 2006;26:733-744. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.263055100
- Gayer G, Zissin R, Apter S, Papa M, Hertz M. Pictorial review: adult intussusception--a CT diagnosis. Br J Radiol 2002;75:185-190. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.75.890.750185
- Begos DG, Sandor A, Modlin IM. The diagnosis and management of adult intussusception. Am J Surg 1997;173:88-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(96)00419-9
- Rea JD, Lockhart ME, Yarbrough DE, Leeth RR, Bledsoe SE, Clements RH. Approach to management of intussusception in adults: a new paradigm in the computed tomography era. Am Surg 2007;73:1098-1105.