- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
An Exploatory Study about Stress Coping Strategy of University Student: Utilizing Photovoice Methodology
포토보이스 조사방법을 활용한 대학생의 스트레스 대처전략 탐색적 연구
- Jeong, Ji-Na (Dept. of Health Management, Jeongju University)
- 정지나 (전주대학교 보건관리학과)
- Received : 2018.09.14
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The current study uses photovoice, a participatory and quantitative method of research, to understand the stress in the youth through the experiences of university students. The study was conducted in the order of education, data collection, data analysis for six session college students in J city. The results was largely categorized into three themes as follows. Firstly, as sub-themes of meaning of stress, there were 'Spider web that clogs the head', 'Seemingly endless passage', 'Anxiety that keeps hands fidgeting', Secondly, factors of stress, there were 'Life does not depend on the class rank', Financial hardships,' Frustrated with getting a job', 'Difficulty in time management', Thirdly, how to cope with stress, there were 'A friend you can freely talk to and laugh with', 'Grab some food and release some stress', 'Get away from daily life', Positive thinking relaxes body and spirit'. Based 0n the analyzed results, we can understand the causes and coping strategies of college students in depth, suggested the practical suggestions and limitation of college society about stress and the educational implication of utilizing photovoice.
- K. S. Han & G. M. Kim. (2007). Comparison to self esteem, family adaptation health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress between nursing and other major university women student. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 16(1), 78-84.
- M. H. Han. (2017). On the relationship between job seeking preparation capacity and stress from college life. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(1), 81-86. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.1.081
- Statistics Korea, Korean Social Trends 2017 of Korea Homepage, http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/index.action, 2017.
- R. S. Lazarus. (1993). Why we should think of stress as a subset of emotion. In L, Goldber ger, S. Brenznitz (Eds.). Handbook of stress: The erratical and clinical aspects NewYork: Free Press.
- K. S. Lee, Y. R. Jung & E. H. Ha. (2001). The effect of stress management program on patient with psychotic disorder. J. Korean. Clin. Nur. Res, 8(1), 37-57.
- J. C. Jeon, K. M. Kim, D. C. Yu, D. K. Kim & Shin, Y. U. (2013). Social inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities using photovoice method. Journal of mental retardation, 15(2), 305-330.
- E. Y. Yu. (2009). Self-Esteem and Stress-Coping Strategies of the College Students in the Department of Public Health. The Korea Contents Society, 9(6), 225-236.
- Y. E. Jang & M. J. Hwang. (2018). The Effect of Job-Seeking Stress on Mental Health in University Students: Mediating Effect of Self-esteem, Journal of School Social Work, 41, 55-75. https://doi.org/10.20993/jSSW.41.3
- K. H. Kim, M. O. Kim & M. A. Jung. (2016). The child rearing and inner growth experiences of mothers of children with development disabilities: A Photovoice study. Korean J of Family, Social Work, 54, 262-293.
- M. S. Kim. (2015). Comparison of dietary self-efficacy, obesity stress, and obesity-related quality ofl life according to BMI and stages of change in vegetable consumption for nursing students. The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 21(1), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2015.21.1.65
- J. S. Park. (2015). Mediating effect of acceptance in relationship between university life stress and satisfaction with life. Korean J Str Res, 23(1), 611-629.
- J. E. Yi & H. W. Kwak. (2016). Relation of interpersonal relationship harmony, stress coping and adjustment to college life among nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(11), 527-537. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.527
- M. S. Choi. (2013). A study on the relationship of family cohesion and adaptability, self-esteem, life stress in university students. Journal of Korea Community Development Society, 38(2), 31-37.
- S. W. Lee, K. S. Kim & B. Y. Kim. (2017). Exploration of the meaning and factors affecting the mental health perceived by university students utilizing photovoice methodology. Korean J Health Educ Promot, 34(1), 77-90. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2017.34.1.77
- H. J. Lee. (2015). University student' perception on social enterprise using photovoice methodology. Crisisonomy, 11(4), 243-268.
- K. O. Kim. (2014). Student perceptions of meanings, barriers, and improvement planes for physical activity through courses in amid-sized s university. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 53(3), 107-125.
- C. Wang & M. A. Burris. (1997). Photovoice: concept, methodology, and use for participatory needs assessment. Health Education and Behavior, 24(3), 369-387. https://doi.org/10.1177/109019819702400309
- J. W. Choi. (2016). Trends and future directions in photovoice with people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of mental retardation, 18, 161-183.
- J. H. Yi, K. H. Kim & M. Y. Ra. (2014). Lived experiences and visual expressions from immigrant adolescents. Korean Society of Child Welfare, 45, 103-130. https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2014.45.1.103
- W. J. Lee & S. H. Chang. (2013). The perception of aging and self-description: through research based photo voice. Global Social Welfare Review, 3(2), 25-47.
- H. J. Yang. (2016). Approaches to the meaning of and prevention programs for school violence through the participation of the youth: using photovoice methodology. Korea Drama, 19, 57-76.
- M. A. Kim, S. H. Lee, J. H. Suh, Y. M. Song & J. E. Kim. (2016). "My life" through the lens of persons with psychosocial disabilities - A Photovoice Study. Korean Journal of Qualitative Research in Social Welfare, 9(2), 105-138.
- J. Daniels, K. Maleke, T. Lane, H. Struthers, J. McIntyre & S. Kegeles. (2017). Learning to live with HIV in the rural townships: A photovoice study of men who have sex with men living with HIV in Mpumalanga South Africa. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care, 17, 1055-329.
- A. O. Olumide, E. S. Adebayo & O. A. Ojengbede. (2016). Using photovoice in adolescent health research: a case-study of the Well-being of Adolescents in Vulnerable Environments (wave) study in Ibadan, Nigeria. Int J Adolesc Med Health.
- U. Ghosh, S. Bose, R. Bramhachari & S. Mandal. (2016). Expressing collective voices on children's health: photovoice exploration with mothers of young children from the Indian Sundarbans. BMC Health Serv Res, 15, 625.
- A. Walker, D. Schatz, C. Johnson, J. Silverstein, S. Lyles & Rohrs, H. (2016). Type 1 diabetes through two lenses: comparing adolescent and parental perspectives with photovoice. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol, 2.
- C. C. Wang. (2006). Youth participation in photovoice as a strategy for community change. J of community Practice, 14(2), 147-161. https://doi.org/10.1300/J125v14n01_09
- W. Hussey. (2006). Slivers of the journey: the use of Photovoice and storytelling to examine female to male transsexuals' experience of health care access. Journal of homosexuality, 51(1), 129-158. https://doi.org/10.1300/J082v51n01_07
- M. G. Han. (2014). Coping response form and stress of school life in university students of education. The Journal of Education Studies, 53(2), 232-245.
- E. S. Lee. (2016). Moderated effects of coping strategies in the relation between life stress and psychological well-being in university students. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 30(3), 470-482. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2016.30.3.470
- J. H. Kim. (2012). Mediating effects of self-control and health promotion lifestyle on the relationship between college student's stress and college life adjustment. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Woman University.
- E. A. Kim. (2018). Convergence study on stress, stress of clinical practice, coping, and psychological well-being in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(3), 91-99. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.3.091
- J. H. Lee & H. A. Park. (2016). Survey study of current status of and need for mental health education enhancing protective factors elementary schools. J of Korean Academic community Health Nurses, 27(1), 9-20. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.1.9
- E. H. Oh. (2017). A qualitative study on job training stress for university students major ing healthcare. The Journal of Korean Society for School & Community Health Education, 18(2), 83-95.
- M. J. Park, J. H. Kim & Jung, M. S. (2009). Career counseling: A qualitative study on the counseling. The Journal of Education Studies, 10(1), 417-435.