- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparisons by gender and school type in the association between betting games and problem gambling among adolescents
청소년의 돈내기 게임 경험과 문제도박의 관계에서 성별 및 학교급별 차이 비교
- Lee, Jaekyoung (Research and Development Team, Korea Center on Gambling Problems) ;
- Lee, RaeHyuck (College of Hyang-seol Nanum, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Chang, Hae-Lim (Department of Social Welfare, Seoul Jangsin University)
- Received : 2018.09.07
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
This study aimed to examine the association between betting games and problem gambling among adolescents, with attention paid to comparisons by gender and school level. For this purpose, this study analyzed a sample of 3,653 adolescents from the 2015 Survey on Youth Gambling Problems. The main findings are as follows. First, experiencing online betting games compared to non-online betting games was associated with higher risks of being light and severe problem gambling among adolescents. Second, the associations between online betting games and problem gambling was more pronounced for male adolescents than for female adolescents. Third, the associations between online betting games and problem gambling was more pronounced for high school students than for middle school students. Based on the findings, this study suggested practical strategies to prevent problem gambling among adolescents.
Adolescent;Betting game;Problem gambling;Comparison by gender;Comparison by school level
- Munhwailbo. (2018. 06. 22). Over 190,000 youths use internet or smartphones. http://www.munhwa.com/news/view.html?no=201806220071221326001
- S. R. Bae, N. S. Park, K. H. Baek & E. H. Go. (2017). A study on the types of cyber-deviations in youth. Sejong: Korea Institute for Youth Development.
- J. D. Parker, R. N. Taylor, J. M. Eastabrook, S. L. Schell & L. M. Wood. (2008). Problem gambling in adolescence: Relationships with internet misuse, gaming abuse and emotional intelligence. Personality & Individual Dif erences, 45(2), 174-180. DOI: 10.1016/j.paid.2008.03.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2008.03.018
- K. H. Kim, S. J. Kwon & S. J. Kim. (2010). Problems and issues of Internet gambling. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 15(2), 187-202. DOI: 10.17315/kjhp.2010.15.2.001 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2010.15.2.001
- R. E. Denton & C. M. Kampfe. (1994). The relationship between family variables and adolescent substance abuse: A literature review. Adolescence, 29(114), 475-495.
- M. D. Griffiths. (2003). Internet gambling: Issues concerns, and recommendations. Cyberpsychology & Behavior, 6(6), 557-568. DOI: 10.1089/109493103322725333 https://doi.org/10.1089/109493103322725333
- H. J. Shaffer & M. N. Hall. (2001). Updating and refining prevalence estimates of disordered gambling behaviour in the United States and Canada. Journal of Public Health, 92(3), 168-172.
- J. Y. Chang. (2011). Evaluating the SOGS-RA and identifying influential factors. Doctoral dissertation, Bucheon: The Catholic University.
- H. J. Shaffer, M. N. Hall & J. Vanderbilt. (1999). Estimating the prevalence of disordered gambling behavior in the United States and Canada: A research synthesis. American Journal of Public Health, 89(9), 1369-1976. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.89.9.1369
- T. L. MacKay. (2005). Betting on youth: Adolescent Internet gambling in Canada. Niagara Falls, ON: Discovery.
- T. G. Ladd & N. M. Petry. (2002). Disordered gambling among university-based medical and dental patients: A focus on Internet gambling. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 16(1), 76-79. https://doi.org/10.1037//0893-164X.16.1.76
- H. Breen & S. Gainsbury, (2013). Aboriginal gambling and problem gambling: A review. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 11, 75-96.
- Y. K. Kim. (2012). A study of the factors influencing adolescents' gambling behavior. Korean Journal of Christian Counseling, 23(2), 31-55.
- Korea Center on Gambling Problems. (2015). 2015 survey on youth leisure and culture.
- J. Tremblay, R. Stinchfield, J. Wiebe & H. Wynne. (2010). Canadian Adolescent Gambling Inventory(CAGI): Phase III Final Report, Canadian Consortium for Gambling Research.
- S. Bae, N. Park, K. Beak & E. Ko. (2017). A study on juvenile cyber deviance. National Youth Policy Institute.
- S. Kwon, C. Lee, K. Kim & S. Kim. (2010). Dysfunction of legalized internet gambling: Exploring the risk of pathological gambling and possibility of spread to illegal gambling. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 15(2), 215-225. DOI: 10.17315/kjhp.2010.15.2.003 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2010.15.2.003
- S. J. Kwon, K. Kim, H. Seong, M. Lee & S. Kang. (2007). Illegal internat gambling: Problems, risk factors, and prevention strategies. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 12(1), 1-19. DOI: 10.17315/kjhp.2007.12.1.001 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2007.12.1.001
- J. Y. Cho. (2010). Rethinking the regulation of suggestive advertising for juvenile protection: Focusing on the meaning of 'suggestive advertising'. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(2), 145-150. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.2.145 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.2.145
- W. J. Lynch, P. K. Maciejewski & M. Potenza. (2004). Psychiatric correlates of gambling in adolescents and young adults grouped by age gambling onset. Archives of General Psychiatry, 61, 1116-1122. DOI: 10.1001/archpsyc.61.11.1116 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.61.11.1116
- S. Ellenbogen & J. Derevensky. (2007). Gender differences among adolescents with gambling-related problems. Journal of Gambling Studies, 23, 133-143. DOI: 10.1007/s10899-006-9048-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-006-9048-y
- H. J. Kim. (2009). A study of the factors influencing adolescent gambling behavior. Daejeon: Chungnam National University.
- T. K. Hyun. (2018). A study on the effects of early adolescents' developmental environment on their delinquent behavior: Focused on the mediating effects of media environment. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(4), 271-283. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.4.271 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.4.271