- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effect of a Group Program Designed to Resolve the Psychological Career Barriers of University Freshmen on Their Psychological Career Barriers, Self-Efficacy in Career Decision-Making, and Self-Determination
대학 신입생을 위한 심리적 진로장벽 해소 집단프로그램이 심리적 진로장벽, 진로결정 자기효능감과 자기결정성에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Mi-Young (Dept. of Psychotherapy & Counseling, Howon University)
- 이미영 (호원대학교 심리상담치료학과)
- Received : 2018.08.17
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
This study set out to organize and apply a group program designed to resolve the psychological career barriers of university freshmen and test its effects on their psychological career barriers, self-efficacy in career decision-making, and self-determination. For this purpose, the investigator divided the subjects into a treatment group of eight and a comparison group of nine, implemented a group program designed to resolve psychological career barriers over seven sessions, and applied no treatment to the comparison group. In an effort to examine the program's effects, the investigator conducted tests on psychological career barriers, self-efficacy in career decision-making, and self-determination in the pre- and post-test both in the treatment and comparison groups and examined the differences between them. The findings were as follows: first, the treatment group made a significant decrease to its psychological career barriers scores compared to the comparison group; second, the treatment group made a significant increase to its self-efficacy in career decision-making scores compared to the comparison group; and finally, the treatment group also made a significant increase to its self-determination scores compared to the comparison group with a significant enhancement. That is, the program was effective for lowering the psychological career barriers of university freshmen and improving their self-efficacy in career decision-making and self-determination. The study also discusses the utilization of its findings and future study.
University freshmen;Psychological career barriers;Group program;Self-efficacy in career decision-making;Self-determination
Supported by : Howon University
- Dong-A University Counseling Center. (2016). Survey of Students and Analysis of Results. Research Review, 44.
- K. W. Kim & Y. H. Cho. (2011). Mediation and Moderation Effects of Self-Efficacy Between Career Stress and College Adjustment among Freshmen. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 18(4), 197-218.
- S. Y. Park & D. H. Lee. (2013). Moderating Effects of Career Preparation Behavior in the Relationship of Career Decision Level and Student Adaptation to College. Journal of Vocational Education Research, 32(1), 23-38.
- A. Y. Lee. (2017). Effect of a Student's Adjustment of College Life and Learned Helplessness on Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy. Unpublished master's dissertation Dongguk University, Seoul.
- K. A. Albert & D. A. Luzzo. (1999). The role of perceived barriers in career development: A social cognitive perspective. Journal of Counseling & Development, 77, 431-436.
- P. Cardoso & J. M. Moreira. (2009). Self-efficacy beliefs and the relation between career planning and perception of barriers. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance, 9(3), 177-188. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10775-009-9163-2
- A. Hirschi. (2011). Career-choice readiness in adolescence: Developmental trajectories and individual differences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 79(2), 340-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2011.05.005
- J. L. Swanson, K. K. Daniels & D. M. Tokar. (1996). Assessing perceptions of career barriers: The Career Barriers Inventory. Journal of Career Assessment, 4, 219-244.
- E. R. Son. (2001). Career barriers perceived by female college students. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation Seoul National University, Seoul.
- A. R. Cha & H. K. Lee. (2014). The Effect of Psychological Career Barriers and Environmental Career Barriers on Career Preparation Behavior: Hope as a Mediating Variable. Korean Journal of Counseling, 15(1), 343-358.
- M. N. Ko & J. H. Park. (2012). A Comparison of Structural Relations among Internal and external Career Barriers, Career Decision Making Self-efficacy, Career Aspiration and Career Decision Status for College Students of Difference School Year. Journal of Career Educational Research, 25(2), 81-100.
- K. J. Joe. (2018). A Meta-Analysis on the Studies of College Students' Career Barriers and its Related Variables. Unpublished master's dissertation Konkuk University, Seoul.
- K. M. O'Brien, S. M. Friedman, L. C. Topton & S. G. Linn. (2000). Attachment, separation, and Women's Vocational Development: A Longitudinal Analysis. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 47(3), 301-315. https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-0188.8.131.521
- T. Y. Go. (2008). The Influence of Social Support, Career Decision-Making Self-Ef icacy and Career Barriers on Career Preparation Behavior of College Students. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation Mokpo University, Seoul.
- J. H. Yoon. (2017). Study on the Mediating Effect of Career Attitude Maturity and Career Decision Self Efficacy in the Relationship between Career Barriers and Career Preparation Behavior. Unpublished master's dissertation Hannam University, Seoul.
- S. B. Kim. (2016). The influence of Career Barriers, Subjective Happiness, and Resilience on Career Preparation Behavior of College Students. Unpublished master's dissertation Chungbuk National University, Seoul.
- H. R. Hwang & S. J. Ryu. (2009). Relationship among Career Decision-making Level, Career Decision Making Efficacy, Career Barriers, Career Attitude Maturity, and Spiritual Well-being among Korean College Students. Korean Journal of Christian Counseling, 18, 355-380.
- Y. D. Park & K. H. Lee. (2007). Verification of the Relationship Model of Emotional Intelligence, Career Barriers and Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 19(4), 1041-1056.
- S. H. Kim. (2007). Relationship Between Psychological Career Barriers and Objective/Environmental Career Conditions in University Students' Career Barriers. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 19(4), 1057-1078.
- R. W. Lent, S. D. Brown & G. Hackett. (1994). Toward a unifying social cognitive theory of career and academic interest, choice, and performance. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 45, 79-123.
- J. L. Swanson & M. B. Woitke. (1997). Theory into practice in career assessment for women: Assessment and intervention regarding perceived career barriers. Journal of Career Assessment, 5, 431-462.
- Bandura. (1997). Self-efficacy: The Exercise of control. New York: W. H. Freeman.
- M. Kim & J. Y. Choi. (2016). A Study on Development of Group Counseling Program for Improvement of Undergraduate Students' Career Self-Efficacy and Its Effects. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 23(5), 123-151.
- M. J. Kim & S. Y. Park. (2017). The Relation between General Self-Efficacy and Career Preparation Behavior, Perceived Career Barrier: Mediating Effects of Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy. The Journal of Career Education Research, 30(1), 163-181.
- Y. K. Kim. (2008). The Effect of University Freshmen's Career Barriers on Career Decision Making Levels and Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 20(4), 1191-1210.
- S. H. Kim & M. J. Kim. (2016). The Effect of Career Preparation Program on Self-esteem, Self-efficacy related career decision-making and Career Development Readiness in University Students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(4), 407-418. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.407
- B. R. Cho & J. M. Lee. (2017). Investigating Relationships between Career Stress and Career Indecision of female students: Career Adaptability as the Mediator. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(1), 1-12.
- E. l. Deci & R. M. Ryan. (2000). Intrinsic and extrinsic motivations: Classic definitions and new directions. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 25, 54-67.
- A. Y. Kim & S. A. Oh (2001). Classification of Motivation on the Continuum of Self-Determination. Journal of Educational Psychology, 15(4), 97-119.
- J. S. Kim. (2017). The Relationship among self-determination, career barriers, and employment preparation behavior of university students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 24(2), 141-166.
- H. A. Song, S. H. Yoo & K. M. Yun. (2010). The Relationship of Psychological Separation and Career Decision-Making Autonomy to University Students' Career Exploration Behavior. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 17(11), 264-289.
- M. Y. Lee. (2017). The Pilot Research for Development of Parent-Child Relationship Promotion Program based on Psychological Needs for Parent children in Low-income Families. Journal of the Korea Institude of Youth Facility and Environment, 15(1), 51-66.
- H. Flum & D. L. Blustein. (2000). Reinvigorating the study of vocational exploration: A Framework for research. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 56(3), 380-404. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2000.1721
- S. J. Lee & J. H. Yu. (2009). A Causal Model among Self-determination, Career Stress, Career Barriers, and Career Decision Level of Female College Students in Korea. The Journal of Asian Women, 48(2), 35-63.
- J. O. Han. (2004). Mediating Effect of Career Decision Efficacy on the Relationship Between Self-Determination Level and Career Indeterminism of Female College Students. Unpublished master's dissertation Ewha Women University, Seoul.
- F. Guay, C. Senecal, L. Gauthier & C. Fernet. (2003). Predicting career indecision: A self-determination theory perspective. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 50, 165-177.
- M. H. Hwang & H. Y. Park. (2005). Career Development and School Adjustment of College Students. Journal of Vocational Education & Training, 80(2), 157-176.
- M. S. Kim. (2011). Effects of Holland's course group consultation program on course career maturity and course career decision-making self-efficacy of college students. Journal of Regional Studies, 19(2), 123-138.
- Y. R. Yoon. (2008). A Study on Effective Career-Guidance in College Students: Focused on Career Subject Class and Career Group Counseling. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation Sangmyung University, Seoul.
- M. J. Park & D. W. Choi. (2017). The Convergence Effect of Career Education Program for Freshmen of Nursing Department on Learning Motivation, College Life Adaption and Self-efficacy. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(4), 339-349. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.339
- E. K. Ha & W. Y. Choi. (2018). The Influence of College Student Career Maturity on College Adjustment-Focusing on Mediating Effect of Career Indecision. Journal of The Korea Institute of Youth Facility and Environment, 16(2), 183-191.
- N. E. Betz, K. L. Klein & K. M. Taylor. (1996). Evaluation of a shot form of Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy Scale. Journal of Career Assessment, 4(1), 47-57. https://doi.org/10.1177/106907279600400103
- M. H. Lee & A. Y. Kim. (2008). Development and Construction of the Basic Psychological Needs Scale for Korean Adolescents: Based on the Self-Determination Theory. The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 22(4), 157-174.
- B. W. Kim. (2007). The Effects of Group Career Counseling Program on the Perceived Career Barriers and Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy of Women College Students. Korea Journal of Counseling, 8(4), 1453-1465.
- E. H. Kim & B. W. Kim. (2008). The Effects of Break Down The Women's Career Barriers Counseling Program on the Perceived Career Barriers and Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy of Women's College Students. Korea Journal of Counseling, 10(4), 2225-2239.
- S. Y. Lee & I. Y. Kim. (2014). The Effects of a Career Barriers Searching Problem for Girls' High School Students. Journal of contents, 14(8), 485-493.
- J. P. Guilford & B. Fruchter. (1981). Fundamental Statistics in Psychology and Education. New York: McGraw-Hill Kogakusha.
- E. H. Chon. (2013). Design-based Research on College Students' Career Education Program centering around the Effects on Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy and College Common Problems. The Journal of Career Education Research, 26(3), 103-122.
- M. S. Park & J. W. Park. (2018). The Relationship between College Students' Perfectionism and Career Indecision: Focusing on Mediation Effect of Career Decision Self-Efficacy. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 8(1), 79-87.
- S. Y. Kim. (2016). Convergence Study on the Influence of Dental Hygiene Students' Stress in Their Major Satisfaction and Career-Decision Attitude. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 6(4), 115-122. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2016.6.4.115
- J. Y. Baek. (2008). The Effect of Career Self-Efficacy on Career Decision Level according to major of College Students. Unpublished master's dissertation Seogang University, Seoul.