- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Medical Service Design Thinking on Preliminary Health Administrators' Empathy Ability
의료서비스 디자인씽킹 교육이 예비보건행정가의 공감 능력에 미치는 영향
- Yoo, Jin-Yeong (Dept. of Health Administration, Suseong University)
- 유진영 (수성대학교 보건행정과)
- Received : 2018.09.12
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The purpose of the study is to verify the effectiveness the Preliminary Health Administrators(PHA)' Empathy Ability(EA) through the application of Medical Service Design Thinking(MSDT) conducted by undergraduate school of Intrapreneurship education. The pre-post questionnaire survey was conducted on 41 students in the second year of the Department of Health Administration after applying MSDT for 15 weeks from March to June, 2018 at a college in Daegu. The main results are as follows. MSDT was positive influenced on the improvement of Empathic Imagine, Empathic awakening of the PHA' EA. Especially, male student or aged 20-25, it was effective on the improvement of Empathic Imagine and Empathic awakening of the participants. Further research is needed on the development of MSDT programs for each grade to improve the empathy of PHA.
Medical Service;Design Thinking;Empathy Ability;Intrapreneurship;Creative Education;Preliminary Health Administrators
- M. H. Park. (2017). Convergence effects of nursing professionalism and critical thinking disposition on patient safety attitude in nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(11), 317-327. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.11.317 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.11.317
- Seongnam Citizens Medical Center. (2017). Introduction of medical institution/ Job announcement. http://www.scmc.kr/sub/propel.aspx
- Asan Medical Center. (2017). Awarded korea design grand prize. http://www.amc.seoul.kr/asan/hospitalinfo/review/history.do
- J. H. Lim. (2014). A Case study of the improvement on hospital through service design. IT.Journal of Design Research, 10, 62-80.
- K. S. Jang, K. H. Chung & Y. H. Kim. (2018). A literature review of research on medical service design in korea. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 24(1), 85-96. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2018.24.1.85 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.1.85
- E. M. Choi, L. S. Kwon, Y. S Park & Y. S. Jung. (2018). A study for convergence curriculum of creative practical use of the direction of characterization of healthcare: Centred on a university. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(6), 283-295. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.6.283 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.6.283
- J. W. Shin, B. H. Cho, B. R. Choi, H. S. Kim, K. H. Kim, J. Y. Shin & S. K. Cho. (2018). 2017 Health service experience survey. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Institute of Health and Social Affairs.
- Strategic research team of Korea Institute of Design Promotion. (2013). Design innovation case in medical service field. Seoul: Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Korea Institute of Design Promotion.
- T. Brown. (2013). Definitions of Design Thinking. https://designthinking.ideo.com/?p=49
- S. H. Park. (2004). Empathy: Yesterday and today. Seoul: Hak Ji Sa.
- J. M. Lim. (2017). The effects of design thinking on college students' empathy ability. Master's Thesis. Hanyang university, Seoul.
- E. J. Lee. (2018). Effects emotional intelligence and convergent nurses' work environment on nursing performance among clinical nurses as career-beginners. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(5), 351-359. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.5.351 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.5.351
- J. H. Park. (2017). Turnover reduction strategy of new graduate nurses. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities and Sociology, 7(8), 833-842. DOI: 10.14257/ajmahs.2017.08.44
- S. Y. Park. (2017). Convergence study on the influence of dental hygiene student supporting awareness in their empathy about elderly. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(5), 25-30. DOI: 10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.5.025 https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.5.025
- Y. K. Kwon & S. T. Lim. (2017). A study on combined education for design thinking: Focusing on stanford d. school curriculum. Communication Design Studies, 60, 8-18.
- Y. O. Jeon & H. J. Choi. (2017). The effects of design thinking-based collaborative workshop on creative problem solving: Focused on the development case of SAP smart bulk bin monitoring system. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(10), 429-436. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.429 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.10.429
- J. Y. Yoo. (2017). The effects of convergence design thinking on preliminary health administrators' social problem solving competency: Intrapreneurship integrated curriculum. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(11), 271-283. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.11.271 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.11.271
- W. J. Jeong, C. H. Kim & S. I. Kim. (2018). Study on fostering empathy by design education: Focusing on elementary education. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(3), 423-428. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.3.423 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.3.423
- J. H. Ryu & S. B. Kim. (2015). Effects of knowledge-based service organization CEO' transformational leadership and learning organization building factors on innovative behavior in the age of convergence. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(4), 147-161. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.147 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.147
- Y. M. Baek. (2018). The effects of entrepreneurship on employability of the college student - Focusing on the moderating effects of gender. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 8(2), 113-120. DOI: 10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.113 https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.113
- M. K. Hwang & M. W. Kwon. (2017). A study on the website encounter analysis for improving healthcare service design: Focusing on private hospital website in Busan. Journal of The Korea Contents Society, 17(9), 597-605. DOI: 10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.09.597 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.09.597
- S. J. Hong. (2017). Patient experience and patient first activities in advanced hospitals. Korean Review of Corporation Management, 8(3), 139-158.
- E. K. Park, H. R. Koo, J. S. Lee & Y. S. Kim. (2015). Health check-up service design using customer experience analysis. Journal of Digital Design, 15(2), 167-180. DOI: 10.20434/KRICM.2017.10.8.3.139
- B. Bryant. (1982). An index of empathy for children and adolescents, Child Development, 53(2), 413-425. DOI: 10.2307/1128984 https://doi.org/10.2307/1128984
- M. Davis. (1980). A multidimensional approach to individual differences in empathy. JSAS catalog of selected documents in Psychology, 10, 85-103.
- A. Mehrabian & N. Epstein. (1972). A measure of emotional empathy. Journal of Personality. 40, 525-543.
- E. M. Noh.. (2018). Convergence study of servicescape and human services on the perceived values and customer satisfaction. Journal of Korea Convergence Society, 9(1), 325-330. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.1.325 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.1.325
- J. S. Kim, A. H. Eom & M. S. Yu. (2016). Medical convergence analysis of complaint about medical service in an affiliated hospital. Journal of Korea Convergence Society, 7(5), 117-125. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.117 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.117
- G. H. Kang. (2013. 10. 10). Design innovation, master tim brown visited seoul asian hospital. Aju Business Daily. http://www.ajunews.com/kor/view.jsp?newsId=20131010000277
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. (2018). Patient experience evaluation report. Seoul. DOI: http://www.hira.or.kr
- S. Richard & S. Daniel. (2016). The future of the professions: How the technology transform the work of human experts. Oxford: Mirae N by arrangement with Oxford University.
- J. J. Koo. (2017). The effect of user centered research in design thinking on empathy: Focus on observation, interview, and experience. Design Convergence Study, 16(4), 139-152.
- Y. J. Won. (2017). The effects of design thinking on 21st century 4C skills. Master's Thesis. Hanyang university, Seoul.
- Y. E. Ryu, I. A. Kang & Y. C. Jeon. (2018). Development of emotional intelligence through a maker education program based on design thinking process for undergraduate students in an university. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(7), 163-175. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.7.163 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.7.163
- B. S. Jeon. (2003). The relationship between empathy and altruistic behavior. Master's Thesis. Chungnam national university, Daejeon.
- J. H. Heo & C. J. Lee. (2010). Psychometric analysis of the empathy quotient(EQ) scale. Studies in Humanities, 24, 183-200.
- E. Lawrence, P. Shaw, D. Baker, S. Baron-Cohen & A. David. (2004). Measuring empathy: reliability and validity of the empathy quotient. Psychological Medicine, 34, 911-924. DOI: 10.1017/S0033291703001624 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291703001624