- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Nutrition Related Factors on Mortality Risk among Community-residing Older Adults in Korea
한국 지역사회 거주 노인의 영양관련 요인이 사망위험에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Si-Eun (Department of Nursing, Songgok University) ;
- Lee, Eliza (Department of Nursing, Seoil University)
- Received : 2018.08.31
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the effect of nutrition related factors on mortality risk among community-residing older adults in Korea. We analyzed data from 8,532 older adults who took part in the 2008 living profiles of older people survey and 2011 death mortality data. According to Cox regression analysis, male (Hazard Ratio [HR], 2.03; 95% Confidence Interval [CI], 1.74~2.37), diabetes mellitus (HR, 1.35; 95% CI, 1.12~1.64), underweighted (HR, 2.68; 95% CI, 2.16~3.31), dysphagia (HR, 1.23; 95% CI, 1.02~1.47), chewing ability (HR, 1.33; 95% CI, 1.11~1.59), and undernutrition (HR, 1.47; 95% CI, 1.23~1.75) significantly affected mortality risk. Systematic nutrition support programs should be developed to decrease the mortality among Korean older adults.
Korea;Aged;Body mass index;Mortality;Nutritional status
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2016). Korea health statistics 2016: Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. Sejong: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. (2014). 2014 a national survey on the living status and welfare needs of the aged. Sejong: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- S. H. Kim & S. M. Choi. (2012). Nutritional status among elderly Korean women and related factors. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 14(1), 16-24. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.1.16
- H. S. Hyun & I. S. Lee. (2014). Nutritional status and risk factors for malnutrition in low-income urban elders. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 244(6), 708-716. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.708 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.708
- G. Daradkeh, M. M. Essa, S. S. Al-Adawi, R. P. Koshy, A. Al-Asmi & M. I. Waly. (2014). Nutritional status and cognitive impairment in elderly. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 17(10), 1098-1105. DOI : 10.3923/pjbs.2014.1098.1105 https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2014.1098.1105
- M. Bonnefoy, G. Berrut, B. Lesourd, M. Ferry, T. Gilbert, O. Guerin et al. (2015). Frailty and nutrition: Searching for evidence. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, 19(3), 250-257. DOI : 10.1007/s12603-014-0568-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-014-0568-3
- R. Wirthet al. (2018). The impact of dysphagia on mortality of nursing home residents: Results from the nutrition day project. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 1-4. DOI : 10.1016/j.jamda.2018.03.016
- H. R. Kim. (2016). Quality of diet and nutritional intake and mortality risk among South Korean adults based on 12-year follow-up data. Korea Institute for Health and Social Af airs, 21(4), 354-365. DOI : 10.5720/kjcn.2016.21.4.354 https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2016.21.4.354
- N. Okamoto et al. (2012). Relationship between swallowing problems and tooth loss in community-dwelling independent elderly adults: The Fujiwara-Kyo study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60(5), 849-853. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.03935.x
- Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2009). 2008 actual living conditions of the elderly and welfare need survey. Seoul: Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- A. Laudisio et al. (2016). Self-reported masticatory dysfunction and mortality in community dwelling elderly adults: A 9-year follow-up. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 64(12), 2503-2510. DOI : 10.1111/jgs.14331 https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14331
- H. R. Kim. (2013). A study on the association of diet quality and risk of mortality and major chronic diseases from nationally representative longitudinal data. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 33(3), 5-30.
- D. L. Sackett, S. E. Straus, W. S. Richardson, W. Rosenberg & R. B. Haynes. (2000). Evidence-based medicine: How to practice and teach EBM. 2 nd ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone.
- P. D. Allison. (2010). Survival analysis. In: Hancock GR, Mueller RO, editors. The reviewer's guide to quantitative methods in the social sciences. 1 st ed. New York: Routledge.
- World health organization expert consultation. (2004). Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. The Lancet, 363(9403), 157-163. DOI : 10.1016/s0140-6736(03)15268-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(03)15268-3
- Nutrition screening initiative. (1991). Report of nutrition screening 1: Toward a common view. Washington, DC: Nutrition Screening Initiative.
- K. S. Sun. (2000). Nutrition and checklist of the elderly. Web Health Research, 3(5), 36-37.
- J. H. Yeom. (2014). A comparison study of determinants for mortality between rural and urban older adults. The Korean Rural Sociological Society, 24(2), 161-195.
- S. Hong, S. W. Yi, J. W. Sull, J. S. Hong, S. H. Jee & H. Ohrr. (2015). Body mass index and mortality among Korean elderly in rural communities: Kangwha cohort study. PLoS One, 10(2), e0117731. DOI : 10.1371/journal.pone.0117731 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0117731
- J. E. Winter, R. J. MacInnis, N. Wattanapenpaiboon & C. A. Nowson. (2014). BMI and all-cause mortality in older adults: A meta-analysis. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 99(4), 875-890. DOI : 10.3945/ajcn.113.068122 https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.113.068122
- J. W. Beom & T. R. Han. (2013). Treatment of dysphagia in patients with brain disorders. Journal of the Korean Medical Association, 56(1), 7-15. DOI : 10.5124/jkma.2013.56.1.7 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2013.56.1.7
- T. Tanaka et al. (2017). Oral frailty as a risk factor for physical frailty and mortality in community-dwelling elderly. Journals of Gerontology. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A, 1-7. DOI : 10.1093/gerona/glx225 https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glx225
- J. E. Park, H. J. An, S. U. Jung, Y. N. Lee, C. I. Kim & Y. A. Jang. (2013). Characteristics of the dietary intake of Korean elderly by chewing ability using data from the Korea national health and nutrition examination survey 2007-2010. Journal of Nutrition and Health, 46(3), 285-295. https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.285
- Korea Agro-Fisheries & Food Trade Corporation. (2017). 2017 food market status for the elderly in Japan. Naju: Korea Agro-Fisheries & Food Trade Corporation.
- B. Shakersain, G. Santoni, G. Faxen-Irving, D. Rizzuto, L. Fratiglioni & W. Xu. (2016). Nutritional status and survival among old adults: An 11-year population-based longitudinal study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 70(3), 320-325. DOI : 10.1038/ejcn.2015.109 https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2015.109
- S. E. Lee & G. R. S. Hong. (2017). Geriatric syndrome and mortality among community-dwelling older adults in Korea: 3-year follow-up study. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 29(1), 98-107. DOI : 10.7475/kjan.2017.29.1.98 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.1.98
- H. G. Jeong, J. J. Lee, S. B. Lee, J. H. Park, Y. S. Huh & J. W. Han. (2013). Role of severity and gender in the association between late life depression and all-cause mortality. International Psychogeriatrics, 25(4), 677-684. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610212002190