- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effectiveness of Clinical Practice Education using Checklist on Performance of Delirium Care for Nursing Students
간호학생 대상의 체크리스트를 활용한 임상실습교육이 섬망간호 수행에 미치는 효과
- Oh, Hyo-Sook (Department of Nursing, Honam University)
- 오효숙 (호남대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.07.24
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of clinical practice education using delirium checklist for nursing students. The study was used pretest-posttest design with single group with 91 fourth year nursing students. The study measured the delirium knowledge, self-confidence and performance of delirium care using structured questionnaire from August 14 to September 30, 2017. The delirium education was composed of one hour lecture and clinical practice. Clinical practice was applied checklists of delirium assessment and prevention care. In result, significant improvements were found in delirium knowledge(t=-11.23, p<.001), self-confidence(t=-11.00, p<.001) and performance(t=-5.31, p<.001) of delirium care. Based results of this study, it was found that delirium education using checklist improved delirium knowledge, self-confidence and performance levels of delirium care for nursing students.
Delirium;Nursing student;Clinical practice;Nursing performance;Nursing convergence education
Supported by : Honam University
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4 th ed. Washington, DC : American Psychiatric Association
- S. K. Inouye, M. J. Schlesinger & T. J. Lydon. (1999). Delirium: A symptom of how hospital care is failing older persons and a window to improve quality of hospital care. Am J Med, 106, 565-573.
- E. W. Ely, S. Gautam, R. Margolin, J. Francis, L. May, T. Speroff, B. Truman, R. Dittus, G. R. Bernard & S. K. Inouye. (2001). The impact of delirium in the intensive care unit on hospital length of stay. Intensive Care Med, 27, 1892-1900.
- Y. H. Kim & Y. C. Kwon. (2016). The convergent influence of the incidence of delirium in patients after arthroplasty. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(11), 369-377. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.369 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.369
- P. T. Trzepacz, D. J. Meagher & M. G. Wise. (2002). Neuropsychiatric aspects of delirium. In S.C Yudofsky & R. E. Hales(ed), textbook of neuropsychiatry and clinical neurosciences, 534-564. Washington DC : American Psychiatric Publishing Inc.
- S. Fosnight. (2011). Delirium in the elderly. In C. M. Ruby, & J. T. Sherer(Eds), Geriatrics, Washington, DC : American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 7, 73-96.
- E. Ely, A. Shintani, B. Truman, T. Speroff, S. Gorden & F. Harrell. (2004). Delirium as a predictor of mortality in mechanically ventilated patients in the intensive care unit. Journal of the American Medical Association, 291, 1753-1762.
- M. R. Steis & D. M. Fick. (2008). Are nurses recognizing delirium? A systematic review. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 34(9), 40-49. https://doi.org/10.3928/00989134-20080901-12
- E. J. Choi, H. J. Lee, I. A. Kim, Y. J. Lim, M. S. Lee & M. J. Kim. (2011). Delirium assessment ability of clinical nurses. Journal of Gerontology Nursing, 13(3), 233-241.
- Y. S. Park, K. S. Kim, K. J. Song & J. Kang. (2006). A preliminary survey of nurses' understanding of delirium and their need for delirium education in a university hospital. Journal of Korea Academy Nursing, 36(7), 1183-1192.
- T. Akechi, C. Isigura, T. Okuyama, C. Endo, R. Sagawa, M. Uchida & T. Furukawa. (2010). Delirium training program for nurses. Psychosomatics, 51(2), 106-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-3182(10)70670-8
- H. J. Seo & Y. S. You. (2007). Intensive Care Unit Nurse's Knowledge, Nursing Performance, and Stress about Delirium. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 19(1), 55-65.
- Y. A. Yang. (2006). ICU nurses' knowledge and nursing performance on patients' symptoms of delirium. Master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul.
- M. J. Kim & H. J. Lee. (2014). The effects of delirium care training program for nurses in hospital nursing units. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 26(5), 489-499. DOI : 10.7475/kjan.2014.26.5.489 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.5.489
- S. H. Yun. (2017). Effect of delirium care education program on nurses' knowledge, self-confidence and performance. Master's thesis, Dongeui University, Pusan.
- I. S. Heo. (2011). The effects of delirium educational program on nursing practice and stress, for intensive care unit nurses. Master's thesis, Dankook University, Yongin.
- J. Park & J. W. Park. (2013). Effects of a delirium educational program for nurses on knowledge of delirium, importance of nursing intervention and nursing practice. Journal of Korean Academic Society Home Care Nurse. 20(2), 152-159.
- G. R. Cho. (2001). ICU Nurses' Knowledge and Nursing Performance of Intensive Care Unit Syndrome. Master thesis, Ewha Women's University, Seoul.
- Y. S. Park. (2011). The Development and Ef ects of Evidence-based Nursing Practice Guideline for the Nursing of Delirium in Cancer Patients. Doctoral dissertation, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- M. Y. Kim & Y. Eun. (2013). Knowledge, Performance and Stress about Care for Delirium in Orthopedic Hospital Nurses. The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 20(1), 72-80. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2013.20.1.72
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. (2010). Delirium: diagnosis, prevention and management. Retrieved July 15, 2018, from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Web site: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg103/
- S. K. Inouye, C. H. van Dyck, C. A. Alessi, S. Balkin, A. P. Siegal & R. I. Horwitz. (1990). Clarifying confusion: The confusion assessment method. Annals of Internal Medicine, 113(12), 941-948. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-113-12-941
- H. J. Cho. (2011). Effect of delirium education on delirium knowledge and delirium nursing practice of intensive care unit nurses. Master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- J. Park & J. W. Park. (2013). Effects of a delirium education program for nurses on knowledge of delirium, importance of nursing intervention and nursing practice. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Home Care Nursing, 20(2), 152-159.
- H. J. Koo & J. H. Yang. (2016). Factors influencing performance of delirium care for postoperative delirium of elderly patients among recovery room nurses. Journal of Korean Academic Nurses Education, 22(3), 387-395. DOI : 10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.387 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.387
- J. Y. Kim & E. J. Lee. (2016). Factors affecting nursing performance of delirium for general hospital clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 22(2), 183-193. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2016.22.2.183
- S. K. Inouye, R. G. Westendorp & J. S. Saczynski. (2014). Delirium in elderly people. Lancet, 383 (9920), 911-922. DOI : 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60688-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60688-1
- S. K. Inouye. (2000). Prevention of delirium in hospitalized older patients: risk factors and targeted intervention strategies. Ann Med, 32, 257-263.
- S. Grover & N. Kate. (2012). Assessment scales for delirium: A review. World Journal of Psychiatry, 2(4), 58. DOI : 10.5498/wjp.v2.i4.58. https://doi.org/10.5498/wjp.v2.i4.58