- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of SBAR Reports Education on Communication Clarity, Communication Skill and Report Confident for Nursing Students -Adult Nursing Clinical Practicum-
SBAR 보고교육이 간호대학생의 의사소통명확성, 의사소통능력 및 보고자신감에 미치는 효과 - 성인간호학 실습 -
- Lee, Oi Sun
- Received : 2018.07.17
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of SBAR(Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation) reports on communication clarity, communication skill and report confident for nursing students. This study used a one group pre-post test design. The subjects of this study were 44 nursing students from G city, and collected by self - report questionnaires from march 6 to april 20, 2018. Data were analyzed by frequencies, paried t-test using SPSS Win 23.0. After SBAR reports education, levels of nursing student's communication clarity(t=-8.12, p<.001), communication skill(t=-4.37, p<.001) and report confident(t=-7.67, p<.001) were significantly higher than levels before SBAR reports education. SBAR reports education improved the communication clarity communication skill and report confident. It is recommended to use a lot of SBAR in clinical practice.
Communication Clarity;Communication Skill;Report confident;Nursing Students;SBAR report Education
- W. J. Kim & S. Y. Kim. (2016). A study on the effects of the nursing management practice SBAR on nursing students' self-expressiveness, communication skills, and ability to think critically. Korean Association For Learner-Centered Curriculum And Instruction, 16(9), 457-472.
- E. J. Kim. (2018). The Effect of Simulation-based SBAR Training Program on Nursing Students Communication and Clinical Judgement. Unpublished doctor's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner & A. G. Lang. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods, 41(4), 1149-1160. DOI :10.3758/brm.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/brm.41.4.1149
- H. J. Cho. (2013). The effect of SBAR program education on a nurse's communication clarify and self expression. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei National University, Seoul.
- R. B. Rubin.(1990). Communication competence. In: Phillips GM, Wood JT, editors. Speech communication: Essays to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Speech Communication Association. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 94-129.
- G. H. Hur. (2003). Construction and validation of a global interpersonal communication competence scale. Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies. 47(6), 380-408.
- M. Yu & K. J. Kang. (2015). SBAR report competency and communication clarity of handover in Korean nursing students. International Journal of Bio-Science and Bio-Technology, 7, 189-200.
- Y. H. Park. (2010). A study on the communication system model and recognition analysis of president-staf s communication in university. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Wonkwang University, Iksan.
- L. C. Krautscheid. (2008). Improving communication among healthcare providers: Preparing student nurses for practice. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 5(1), 1-13.
- H. Y. Kim, Y. J. Jeong, J. Kang & H. S. Mun. (2016). The Effect of SBAR reports on communication clarity and nurse-physician collaborative relationships: A one group pretest-posttest design. Journal Muscle Joint Health, 23(2), 105-113. DOI :10.5953/JMJH.2016.23.2.105 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2016.23.2.105
- The Joint Commission. Improving patient and worker safety: opportunities for synergy, collaboration and innovation [Internet]. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: The Joint Commission; 2012 [cited 2014 January 30]. Available from: https://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/TJC-ImprovingPatientAndWorkerSafety-Monograph.pdf.
- J. Compton, K. Copeland, S. Flanders, C. Cassity, M. Spetman, Y. Xiao & D. Kennerly. (2012). Implementing SBAR across a large multihospital health system. Joint Commission. Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 38(6), 261-268.
- M. Y. Kim & K. S. Kim. (2018). The Effect of SBAR Communication on Nurse's Perception about Communication and Attitudes toward Patient Safety. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 24(1), 23-33. DOI :10.22650/JKCNR.2018.24.1.23 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2018.24.1.23
- S. Marshall, J. Harrison & B. Flanagan. (2009). The teaching of a structured tool improves the clarity and content of interprofessional clinical communication. Quality & Safety Health, 18(2), 137-140. DOI :10.1136/qshc.2007.025247 https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2007.025247
- M. S. Hyun, H. J. Cho & M. A. Lee. (2016). Effect of SBAR-collaborative communication program on the nurses' communication skills and the collaboration between nurses and doctors. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 22(5), 518-530. DOI :10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.518 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.518
- S. H. Kim, E. M. Kim, Y. K. Choi, H. Y. Lee, M. M. Park, E. Y. Cho & E. S. Kim. (2013). An Exploration about Current Nursing Handover Practice in Korean Hospitals. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 19(2), 181-194. DOI :10.22650/JKCNR.2013.19.2.181 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2013.19.2.181
- Y. G. Noh & I. S. Lee. (2018). Effect of Stepwise Communication Education Program using SBAR among Nursing Students: Focusing on Scenarios and Nursing Case-based Role Playing. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 24(2), 115-126. DOI :10.5977/jkasne.2018.24.2.115 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2018.24.2.115
- Y. K. Ha, Y. J. Lee & Y. H. Lee. (2017). Simulation training applying SBAR for the improvement of nursing undergraduate students' interdisciplinary communication skills. The Korean Data & Information Science Society, 28(2), 407-419.
- G. O. Noh, H. K. Son & D. H. Kim. (2016). Effect of SBAR Education Program Based on Simulation Practiceon Report Clarity and Confidence in Nursing Students. Korean Academy on Communication in Healthcare, 11(2), 145-153.
- H. Y. Lee. (2016). Effects of SBAR application on Communication and Self-Leadership in Hospital Nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Dona-A University, Busan.
- Y. H. Kim, Y. S. Choi. H. Y. Jun & M. J. Kim. (2016). Effects of SBAR program on communication clarity, clinical competence and self-efficacy for nurses in cancer hospitals. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 19(1), 20-29. DOI :10.7587/kjrehn.2016.20 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2016.20
Supported by : Changshin University