- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The effects of adolescent fandom activity on self-esteem : mediating effect of ego-resilience
청소년의 팬덤활동이 자아존중감에 미치는 영향 : 자아탄력성의 매개효과
- Choi, Ok-Joo (Department of Social Welfare, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Song (Social Welfare, Konkuk University Graduate School)
- Received : 2018.06.26
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The purpose of this study was to examine whether fandom activity of adolescents mediates ego - resilience when affecting self - esteem. For this, data from the 7th year (2016) of the first 4 panels of the Korea Child and Youth Panel Survey were used and the questionnaire of 2,378 first - year high school students was used for the analysis. The results of the analysis are as follows. First, the fandom activity showed a positive predictive value of negative self - resilience. Second, the fandom activity predicted the self - esteem as a negatively. Third, ego - resilience predicts self - esteem statistically and significantly. Fourth, ego - resilience partially mediated the relationship between fandom activity and self - esteem. In other words, it is confirmed that the fandom activity directly lowers the self - esteem but indirectly decreases through the ego - resilience. This study can be meaningful in that it examines the effect of the fandom activity on the self - esteem of the adolescents and the process leading to it.
Adolescence;Ego - resilience;Self - esteem;Fandom activity;Mediating effect
- J. M. Lee & H. W. Jung. (2018). A Study on the Longitudinal Change of Adolescent's Participation in Fandom Activity on School Life Adaptation. Korean Youth Research, 29(2), 35-67.
- S. Coopersmith. (1967). The antecedents of self-esteem. Consulting Psychologists Pr.
- J. Y. Choi & B. W. Kim. (2016). The mediating efects of ego-resilience of the effects of negative emotions on psychological well-veing in college students, Human Understanding, 37(2), 67-86.
- S. S. Kim. (2013). The Effect on Youth Fandom Activity. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 13(6), 167-176. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.06.167
- S. H. Lee. (2015). A Study on the Psychological Characteristics of Females in their 20s: Focusing on the Relationship between Fictitious Emotions, Idol Af inity, Self - Esteem and Idol Idolization. Master's thesis. Korea University.
- J. E. Na. (2017). The Effects of Early Adolescent Fandom Activities on Life Satisfaction: Moderating Effect of Self - Esteem. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 17(8), 396-405. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.08.396
- S. S. Kim & J. J. Ahn. (2012). The Effects of Youth Volunteer Activities on Community Consciousness - Focused on Self - esteem and mediating role of peer attachment. Social Welfare Research, 43(1), 339-363.
- J. E. Gwon. (2003). Parent and peer attachment, the relationship between problem solving methods and ego - resilience. Master's thesis. Ewha Womans University.
- M. Rosenberg. (1986). Self-concept from middle childhood through adolescence. Psychological perspectives on the self, 3(1), 107-136.
- R. G. Simmons & D. A. Blyth. (1987). Moving into adolescence: The impact of pubertal change and school context. Aldine Transaction.
- A. Raviv, D. Bar-Tal, A. Raviv & A. Ben-Horin. (1996). Adolescent idolization of pop singers: Causes, expressions, and reliance. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 25(5), 631-650. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01537358
- H. J. Kim, Y. S. Lim & S. J. Oh. (2000). Poverty and Predictors of Youth, Relationship with School Life. Family and Culture, 12, 31-52.
- S. A. Jeon & Y. S. Han. (2016). The Effects of Adolescents' Online and Offline Fandom Activities on the Learning Time Management Ability of Adolescents. Korean Child Welfare, (56), 101-132.
- K. S. Kim. (2012). The relationship between the type of fan activity and the daily life and psychological well - being of middle and high school students. Master's thesis. Kongju National University.
- E. J. Cho. (2013). The ef ect of parent support and daily stress on aggression and self - esteem in middle school students. Master's thesis. Dong-A University.
- J. Y Kim, S. G Kim, S. H Kim, S. H Park & J. Park. (2017). Effects of attention defcit hyperactivity, impulsivity, ego-resilience, and self-esteem of smartphone addiction in adolescents. Biotechnology Psychiatry, 23(3), 206-213.
- H. Jenkins. (2006). Fans, bloggers, and gamers: Exploring participatory culture. NYU Press.
- M. S. Choi. (2014). Analysis of the structural relationship between adolescent's family health, social support, ego - resilience, hope, peer relationship skill and problem behavior. Doctoral dissertation. Dong-A University.
- L. M. Fenzel. (1992). The effect of relative age on self-esteem, role strain, GPA, and anxiety. The Journal of Early Adolescence, 12(3), 253-266. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431692012003002
- K. S Kim & H. D Kim. (2011). The effect of parental attitude of self-esteem and ego-resilience of high school students. Educational Research, 19(2), 143-170.
- T. S. Shin, J. L. Hyun & H. K. Kwon. (2015). The Structral relationship bettween parenting behavior, ego-resilience, and self-esteem perceived by middle school students. Korea Open Education Association, 23(3), 45-64.
- R. B. Kline. (2005). Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling. New York: The Guilford Press.
- M. Rosenberg. (1965). Rosenberg self-esteem scale (RSE). Acceptance and commitment therapy. Measures package, 61, 52.
- Y. I. Jo. (2011). Emotional intelligence of middle school students, idolization of entertainers and adaptation to school life. Master's thesis. Chonnam National University.
- G. E. Kim, J. W. Kim & J. Y. Park. (2009). Enjoying Fandom in Leisure: Focusing on the fan activities of single media operators. Studies in Leisure Studies, 6, 85-116.
- G. A. Bonanno. (2004). Loss, trauma, and human resilience: have we underestimated the human capacity to thrive after extremely aversive events?. American psychologist, 59(1), 20. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.59.1.20
- Y. S. Seo. (2010). Mediating effects and moderating effects in counseling psychology research. Korean Psychological Association: Counseling and Psychotherapy, 22(4), 1147-1168.
- H. G. Kim. (2002). A Study on the Characteristics of Sports Fandom. Journal of Journalism Studies, 6, 66-80.
- E. M. Ahn, J. S. Kim, former songwriter & H. J. Jung. (2013). Effects of Fandom Activities on Adolescents' Ego Resilience and Gender Differences. Korean Youth Research, 24(2), 149-175.
- H. J. Jeon & M. S. Yu. (2015). Self - esteem, career maturity, and micro - system variables affecting the happiness of adolescents. Youth Studies, 22(6), 75-104.
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. (2014). A Survey on Use of Youth Media and Harmful Environment. Seoul: Ministry of Gender Equality and Family.
- J. S Baek, J. Kim & H. K. Jeong. (2014). The Effects of Population Background Factors, Self - esteem, Communication, and Social Support on School Adjustment Flexibility of Adolescents: Comparison of Multicultural Youths and Adolescents in Jeonnam Area. Youth Facility Environment, 12(1), 127-142.
- C. S. Lee & H. Y. Chang. (2018). The Mediating effect of donation Motivation between adolescents' self - esteem and donation attitude. Digital convergence research, 16(6), 19-25.
- S. A. Jeon & Y. S. Han. (2016). The effect of off-line and on-line fandom activity participation on adolescents' academic time management skills : A multi-level growth curve analysis. Journal of the korean society of child welfare 56(1), 101-132.
- D. W. Russell, J. H. Kahn, R. Spoth & E. M. Altmaier. (1998). Analyzing data from experimental studies: A latent variable structural equation modeling approach. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 45(1), 18. https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-0220.127.116.11
- M. Dumont & M. A. Provost. (1999). Resilience in adolescents: Protective role of social support, coping strategies, self-esteem, and social activities on experience of stress and depression. Journal of youth and adolescence, 28(3), 343-363. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021637011732
- H. I. Jo. & M. K. Cho. (2013). The Relationship between School Violence Victimization Experience and Maltreatment Experience. Korean Psychological Association: Counseling and Psychotherapy, 25(4), 913-932.
- J. Fiske. (1992). The cultural economy of fandom. The adoring audience: Fan culture and popular media, 30-49.
- M. H. Kang, K. H. Kim & S. K. Kim. (2007). Contemporary Society, Children, Psychological Understanding. Seoul: Sigma Press.