- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Driver's License Renewal and Return Policy through the Recognition of the Elderly's Driving Pattern
고령자의 운전패턴 인식을 통한 운전면허증 갱신 및 반납 정책에 대한 연구
- Cho, Myeon-gyun (School of Information & Communication, Semyung University)
- 조면균 (세명대학교 정보통신학부)
- Received : 2018.07.25
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
This study was conducted to derive the traffic accident risk index through the recognition of the elderly driver's driving pattern to reduce the traffic accident rate of elderly drivers and to reflect them in the renewal and return policy of driver's license accordingly. First, the traffic accident risk index is defined by analyzing the behavioral characteristics of older drivers to derive the major factors that lead to traffic accidents. Second, we present a method to measure the traffic accident risk index from the driving pattern of the elderly through the smart-phone, the camera and the distance sensor attached to the car. Finally, we derive three thresholds by computer simulation and determine the accident risk from the measured traffic accident risk index as four steps and suggest ways to ensure safe driving of older drivers. It is required to objectively assess the driving ability of an aged driver in accordance with the proposed method, and to induce the driver to reset the driver's license renewal cycle and voluntarily return the driver's license to minimize social costs due to increased traffic accidents.
Elderly drivers;Accident characteristics;Traffic accident risk index;Traffic accident rate reduced;Driver's license renewal and return
Supported by : Semyung University
- O. S. Baek. (2015), Legal Analysis of driving restrictions on elderly drivers - Focused on the elderly drivers' license system. Journal of Chung-Ang Low Association, 17(4), 165-199.
- J. W. Park & J. W. Moon. (2012). Welfare and Transportation Policy of the Elderly in Advanced Countries and Implications - Focusing on the case of Japan. Seoul : http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE02411781
- Kwan Choi & M. C. Kim. (2017). Australian Older Driver's Licence Management System Analysis and Lessons for the South Korean Accident Prevention Policies. Korean Journal of Research in Crime Psychology, 13(1), 255-276.
- C. H. Kim. (2017, August). A Study of Laws for Prevention of Traffic Accidents by Elderly Drivers. Conference of the Korea Public Land Law Association, (pp. 887-926). Seoul.
- S. W. Park et al. (2009). A Survey on the Actual Conditions and Driving Aptitude of the Elderly Motor Drivers. Seoul : National Rehabilitation Center Publishing.
- M. H. Kim. (2016, April). A Research on Precise Development of Driver Aptitude according to Elderly Person Driving Characteristics. Seoul : Traffic Safety Corporation Publishing.
- J. K. Hong. (2015). Threat Issues of Intelligent Transport System in the V2X Convergence Service Environment. Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, 6(5), 33-38.
- J. H. Lee & M. G. Cho. (2017). A Study on Emergency Medical Information Management Methods for Elderly Patients using QR code and Finger-print Recognition. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(6), 135-141. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.6.135
- J. H. Kim. (2018). Population Policy Outlook 2018. Health and welfare policy forum, 255(2018), 61-74.
- K. B. Kim. (2014). The Characteristics of Traffic Accidents and Reduction Methods by Elderly Drivers to Prepare for the Aging Society. Journal of the Korea Contents Korean Journal of Research in Gerontology Association, 14(7), 151-160.
- W. S. Ji & C. K. Lee. (2003). A Traffic Accident Prevention Countermeasures for Older Drivers: Focusing on Driver's License System. Journal of the Gyeonggi Research Institute, 12, 1-166.
- I. S. Kim. (2014). A Study on the Driving Characteristics of Senior Drivers. Korean Journal of Research in Gerontology, 23, 151-169.
- Y. S. Lim & J. W. Lee. (2012). A Reaction Research on the Visuospatial Ability and the Situation Awareness of Older Drivers in Driving. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 32(4), 1087-1099.
- Y. S. Lim. (2012). A Research Related to the Information Processing Abilities and the Situation Awareness of Drivers in Driving - Using a Path Analysis. Journal of the Transport Research, 19(3), 47-61.
- Y. J. Lee & S. K. Lee. (2005). Developmental Changes in Highway Design for Older Drivers Research. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 25(3D), 409-421.
- S. O. Kim, I. J. Chang & C. K. Lee. (2009). Analysis of the Vulnerable Roadway Designs for Elderly Drivers and Its Improvement Schemes. Journal of the Korean ITS Society, 8(6), 163-173.
- Y. T. Lee, M. H. Kim & J. W. Son. (2009). April), Analysis of the Vulnerable Roadway Designs for Elderly Drivers and Its Improvement Schemes. Conference of the Korean Society Of Automotive Engineers, (pp. 982-173). Deagu.
- M. H. Kim & J. W. Son. (2008, April). Driving Behavior Analysis of Elderly Driver for Development of Elderly-Friendly Vehicle Safety. Conference of the Korean Society Of Automotive Engineers, (pp. 1721-1726). Busan.
- J. S. Oh, B. J. Ryu & W. Y. Lee. (2016). Major Factors Affecting Driving and Psychosocial Characteristics of Elderly Drivers. Journal of Transport Research, 23(4), 35-48.
- Y. S. Kim & G. H. Youn. (2014). Is it Appropriate to Limit the Validity of Older Driver's License for Commercial Use?. Korean Journal of Research in Gerontology, 23(2014), 195-218.