- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Problems and Improvements in Research on the Employment Effect of Minimum Wage
최저임금의 고용효과에 관한 연구의 문제점과 개선방향
- Park, Cheol-Ho (Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kang, Sang-Goo (Korea E-Trade Research Institute, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2018.07.30
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
Recently the Korean society has suffered severe conflicts over the rate of increase in the minimum wage, while academics have failed to provide appropriate standards through reliable research. Recent foreign studies using natural experimentation or meta-regression analysis show that the increase in minimum wage has little effect on employment. Domestic studies are not yet numerous in number, and they present different conclusions on employment effects depending on the data used, sample period, and research model. To properly assess the employment effects of the minimum wage, future studies should minimize measurement errors in minimum wage dataset, and appropriately consider the endogenous change of minimum wage, economic situation and trends of employment changes. It is also necessary to utilize natural experiment methods before and after the increase of the minimum wage.
Minimum wage;Employment effect;Low-wage workers;Poverty line;Monopsony
- S. K. Lee. (2007 June). The Employment Effect of the Minimum Wage. Monthly Labor Review, Korea Labor Institute, 43-51.
- B. H. Lee. (2008). The Effects of the Minimum Wage on Job Loss and Job Entry. Korean Journal of Labor Studies, 14(1), 1-23. DOI : 10.17005/kals.2008.14.1.1 https://doi.org/10.17005/kals.2008.14.1.1
- J. H. Jeong, J. Nam, J. Y. Kim & Y. J. Jun. (2011). Analysis of the Effect of Minimum Wage. Research Series 11-2, Korea Labor Institute.
- S. Nam. (2008). The Effects of Introduction of Minimum Wages on Labor Demand in Korea : An Empirical Study for Security Workers. Korean Journal of Labor Economics, 31(3), 1-19.
- D. I. Kim. (2012). The Effect of Minimum Wages on New Hiring of Low-wage Workers. Korean Journal of Labor Economics, 35(3), 29-50.
- S. Kang & C. Park. (2015). Analysis of Employment Effect of the Minimum Wage Using Time Series Data. Korean Journal of Labor Economics, 38(3), 1-22.
- J. Lee & S. Hwang. (2016). The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment in Korea. Korean Journal of Labor Economics, 39(2), 1-34.
- Y. Kim & E. Kang. (2015). The Effect of Minimum Wages on Informal Labor Market Outcomes. Korean Journal of Industrial Relations, 25(3), 85-102.
- M. Kim, Y. Kim & T. Park. (2013). Minimum Wage Effect on Regional Employment. Korean Journal of Industrial Relations, 23(2), 37-73.
- J. Park, H. Park & S. Kang. (2010). The Ef ect of Minimum Wages on Low-wage Distribution and a Measure for Accurate Calculation of the Under Minimum Wage Ratio. Ministry of Employment and Labor.
- T. Boeri, P. Cahuc & A. Zylberberg. (2015). The Costs of Flexibility-Enhancing Structural Reforms: A Literature Review. OECD Economics Department Working Papers, No. 1264, OECD Publishing, Paris. DOI : 10.1787/5jrs558c5r5f-en https://doi.org/10.1787/5jrs558c5r5f-en
- M. Hong. (2018). Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage Increase in 2018, Monthly Labor Review. Korea Labor Institute, 43-56.
- T. S. Byun. (2016. 8. 16.). Workers Who Do Not Receive the Minimum Wage Will Exceed 3 Million Next Year. Hankook-Ilbo.
- D. Card & A. Krueger. (1994). Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast-Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. American Economic Review, 48(4), 772-793. DOI : 10.3386/w4509 https://doi.org/10.3386/w4509
- D. Neumark & W. Wascher. (2000). Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast-Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania: Comment. American Economic Review, 90(5), 1362-1396. DOI : 10.1257/aer.90.5.1362 https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.90.5.1362
- A. Dube, W. T. Lester & M. Reich. (2010). Minimum Wage Effects Across State Borders: Estimates Using Contiguous Counties. Review of Economics and Statistics, 92(4), 945-964. DOI : 10.1162/rest_a_00039 https://doi.org/10.1162/rest_a_00039
- S. A. Allegretto, A. Dube & M. Reich. (2011). Do Minimum Wages Really Reduce Teen Employment? Accounting for Heterogeneity and Selectivity in State Panel Data. Industrial Relations, 50(2), 205-240. DOI : 10.1111/j.1468-232x.2011.00634.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-232x.2011.00634.x
- B. T. Hirsch, B. Kaufman & T. Zelenska. (2015). Minimum Wage Channels of Adjustment. Industrial Relations, 54(2), 199-239. DOI : 10.1111/irel.12091 https://doi.org/10.1111/irel.12091
- B. Boockmann. (2010). The Combined Employment Effects of Minimum Wages and Labor Market Regulation: A Meta-Analysis. IZA Discussion Paper No. 4983.
- H. Doucouliagos & T. D. Stanley. (2009). Publication Selection Bias in Minimum-Wage Research? A Meta-Regression Analysis. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 47(2), 406-428. DOI : 10.1111/j.1467-8543.2009.00723.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8543.2009.00723.x
- S. Nataraj, F. Perez-Arce, K. B. Kumar & S. V. Srinivasan. (2014). The Impact of Labor Market Regulation on Employment in Low Income Countries: A Meta Analysis. Journal of Economic Surveys, 28(3), 551-572. DOI : 10.1111/joes.12040 https://doi.org/10.1111/joes.12040
- M. L. Leonard, T. D. Stanley & H. Doucouliagos. (2014). Does the UK Minimum Wage Reduce Employment? A Meta-Regression Analysis. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 52(3), 499-520. DOI : 10.1111/bjir.12031 https://doi.org/10.1111/bjir.12031
- D. Belman & P. J. Wolfson. (2014). The New Minimum Wage Research. Employment Research, 21(2), 4-6. DOI : 10.17848/1075-8445.21(2)-2 https://doi.org/10.17848/1075-8445.21(2)-2
- S. Broecke, A. Forti & M. Vandeweyer. (2015). The Effects of Minimum Wages on Employment in Emerging Economies: A Literature Review. OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers.
- G. Giotis & M. Chletsos. (2015). Is There Publication Selection Bias in Minimum Wage Research during the Five-year Period from 2010 to 2014? Economics Discussion Papers, No 2015-58, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- H. K. Kim. (2015). Minimum Wages and Poverty Exit in OECD Countries. Health and Welfare Forum, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 78-86.
- S. B. Oh. (2015 April). Recent Trends in the US Minimum Wage System. International Labor Brief, Korea Labor Institute, 37-51.
- C. Brown, C. Gilroy & A. Kohen. (1982). The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment. Journal of Economic Literature, 20(2), 487-528. DOI : 10.3386/w0846 https://doi.org/10.3386/w0846