- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Social Influence on University Students' Job Preferences and Entrepreneurial Intention
대학생의 취업선호도와 창업의도에 관한 사회적 영향관계 분석
- Kim, Yu Shin (Dept. of Technology Entrepreneurship, Graduate school, Dongguk University) ;
- Sung, Chang-Soo (Dept. of Technology Entrepreneurship, Graduate school, Dongguk University) ;
- Park, Joo Y. (Dept. of Technology Entrepreneurship, Graduate school, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2018.07.30
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the reasons for preferring employment and the social influencing factors to improve future entrepreneurial intentions. Especially, this study investigates the influence of social influences such as parents', acquaintances, and individuals' experience of start - ups and employment and entrepreneurship club experiences on career choice of students who prefer employment. For this purpose, qualitative research method was applied to students who selected entrepreneurship career course among college students who completed entrepreneurship education. The results of this study are as follows: stable income, system experience, preference for parents' employment, lack of funds and lack of knowledge on start-ups. In addition, it was found that the intention of start-up is increased according to the experience of start-up of the acquaintance among the social influences of students who prefer employment. The result of this study suggests the methodology and learning direction of entrepreneurship education which can improve entrepreneurship intention and understanding of university students. In addition, this study proposes future research related to entrepreneurship education through empirical analysis.
- I. C. Yoon. (2017). Effect on startup mentoring, education satisfaction, and startup intention according to the individual characteristic of university student. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(6), 265-273. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.265
- J. Y. Park & C. S. Sung. (2016). The Effect of Entrepreneurs' Social Network on Entrepreneurial Performance : Focusing on Moderating effect of Entrepreneurial Experience. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 11(3), 87-96. https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.11.3.201606.87
- K. S. Ha. (2012). Factors Affecting Entrepreneurial Intention form Business Attitude And Fear on Business Failure. Korea Corporation Management Association, 45, 59-74.
- S. Ali, L. Wei & W. Wenjun. (2012). Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intentions among the College Students in: China and Pakistan. Journal of Education and Practice, 3(11), 13-23.
- S. C. Chen, H. C. Hsiao, J. C. Chang & C. M. Chou. (2017). The Affect of off-Campus Internships Program on Universities Student's Entrepreneurial Attitude and Capacity. International Journal of Information and Education Technology, 7(6), 449-455. https://doi.org/10.18178/ijiet.2017.7.6.910
- W. G. Cho, H. M. Jung & C. Y. Park. (2016). A Study on Influential Factors on the Foundation Intention of Start-up Student Groups. Korea Regional Economic Research institute, 33, 69-89.
- J. H. Cho & C. J. Kim. (2015). The Effects of University Students' Entrepreneurship on Entrepreneurial Intention : Moderating Effects of Entrepreneurial Education and Entrepreneurial Participation, Korean Journal of Resources Development, 18(4), 53-75.
- Y. S. Lee. (2017). A Study on Startup Education Programs in Design Junior Colleges Centering around Startup Associations. Journal of the Korean Entrepreneurship Society, 12(2).
- F. Lafontaine & K. Shaw. (2016). Serial Entrepreneurship: Learning by Doing? Journal of Labor Economics, 34(S2), 217-254. https://doi.org/10.1086/683820
- Y. J. Lee & G. C. Jeong. (2015). Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intention and Startup Time - Who and When will Start up? Korean Academic Society Of Business Administration, 2357-2377.
- Y. H. Jo. (2004). Educational anthropology and qualitative research. Anthropology of education, 1-21.
- R. Linan & Y. W. Chen. (2009). Development and Cross-Cultural Application of a Specific Instrument to Measure Entrepreneurial Intentions. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3), 593-617. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00318.x
- Y. G. Ku, M.S. Suk & O. S. Cho. (2018). Converged Influence of Individual, Parental and Social Support Factors to the Life Satisfaction of Adolescents. Journal of the Convergence for Information Technology, 8(2), 183-192. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.183
- T. U. Ahn, J. H. Park & I. H. Lee. (2017). The Influence of University Entrepreneurship Education's Creativity Capacity to Entrepreneurship Willingness: The Moderating Role of Social Support. The Conference on Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, Summer, No.1-13, 8, 490-502.
- L. Francisco, D. Urbanob & M. Guerrerobm. (2011), Regional Variations in Entrepreneurial Cognitions: Start-up Intentions of University Students in Spain, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 23(3-4), 187-215. https://doi.org/10.1080/08985620903233929
- W. S. Siu & E. S. C. Lo. (2013). Cultural contingency in the cognitive model of entrepreneurial intention. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 37(2), 147-173. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2011.00462.x
- N. Bosma, J. Hessels, V. Schutjens & M. V. Prag. (2011). Entrepreneurship and role models. Journal of Economic Psychology, 33(2), 410-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2011.03.004
- S. D. Chang & Z. H. Lee. (2013). A Study on the Influencing Effects of University Students' E-Business Start-up Intention. The e-Business Studies, 14(3), 37-53. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.14.3.201308.37
- J. H. Yang. (2015). A Study on the Effect of Contextual Factors on Entrepreneurial Intention of Korean University Students. KOREA ASSOCIATION OF BUSINESS EDUCATION, 30(1), 25-45.
- C. H. Yook & I. O. Jeon. (2014). Effect of Entrepreneur's Characteristics on the Intention of Entrepreneurship - Focusing on the Moderating Effect of Entrepreneurship Mentoring in Korean. JOURNAL OF THE KOREA CONTENTS ASSOCIATION, 14(10), 661-676 . https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.661
- K. H. Jung & C. S. Sung. (2017). The Effects of Entrepreneurship Education, Individual Environmental Factor and Individual Trait on University Student's Career Decision Self-efficacy. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(6), 179-187. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.179
- J. H. Lee. (2015). Establishment of social safety net and promotion of business start-up through international comparison of entrepreneurial ecosystem. Korean Academy of International Business Management, 2015.11, (pp. 57-89).
- B. J. Bird. (1993). Demographic Approaches to Entrepreneurship : The Role of Experience and background, In Katz. J. A. and Brockhaus(Eds.). R. H. Advances in Entrepreneurship, Firm Emergence and Growth, Greenwich, CT : JAI Press.
- N. F. .Krueger & D. V. Brazeal. (1994), Entrepreneurial potential and potential entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 18(3), 91-104.
- L. Kolvereid. (1996) Prediction of employment status choice intentions, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 21, 47-57. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879602100104
- H. J. Yoo, E. S. Park, L. T. Oh & W. H. Kim. (2016). The Determinants of Youth Job Preference Change. The Journal of Vocational Education Research, 35(1), 1-19.
- O. J. Lim. (2012). Analysis of Factors Affects Vocational Decision of College Students. The Journal of Education Research, 33(2), 19-49.
- H. S. Park. (2013). The effect of parental socio-economic status on career choice and job preference of adolescents. A master's thesis at Hanyang University.
- School to Work Transition Information Survey System. (2016), KOREA EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE, http://swiss.kedi.re.kr/
- S. G. Walter, K. P. Parboteeah & A. Walter. (2013). University departments and self-employment intentions of business students: a cross-level analysis. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 37(2), 175-200. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2011.00460.x
- H. J. Jeon & J. W. Park. (2014). A Study on Changes of Entrepreneurial Ecosystem on Women Entrepreneurial Intention. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 10(2), 85-96.
- I. S. Lee, O. S. Kim & Y. A. Rha. (2013). A Study on the Effect of Young Entrepreneurs' Growth Factors on Entrepreneurial Capability and Entrepreneurial Intentions : Focused on the College Students Majoring in Culinary and Food service. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research, 19(4), 25-39.
- A. Shapero & L. Sokol. (1982), Social Dimensions of Entrepreneurship, The Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurship, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.: Prentice Hall, 72-90.
- S. H. Lim & J. M. Nam. (2016). Republic of Korea Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Status and Recognition Research: Focusing on Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurs Preliminary, Student Centered Comparative Analysis on the Status and Recognition. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 11(6), 175-183.
- J. E. Lee, J. W. Kang & C. K. Kim. (2017). Do Personal and Relational Characteristics of Korean High School Students Affect Their Entrepreneurial Intention?. KOREA ASSOCIATION OF BUSINESS EDUCATION, 32(3), 193-214.