- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Medical Expenditure on Income Inequality in Elderly and Non-Elderly Households by Income Class
소득계층별 노인과 비 노인가구의 의료비 지출이 소득불평등에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Yong-Jae (Dept. of Social Welfare, Hoseo University)
- 이용재 (호서대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2018.07.27
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
This study aims to identify the inequalities and characteristics of health care expenditure of the elderly and non-elderly households by income level. As a result, health care expenditure of elderly households was statistically significantly higher than that of non-elderly households. As a result of calculating the concentration index of health care expenditure by income level, inequality was higher in order of non-elderly households, elderly households, and total households. In order to confirm the effect of health expenditure on household income inequality, we calculated the concentration index of income excluding total health care expenditure from total income. As a result, inequality was higher in order of elderly households, whole households, and non-elderly households. There was not much difference in inequality of health care expenditure among elderly households and non-elderly households. And, the health care expenditure of elderly households was much higher than that of non-elderly households. Also, inequality of health care expenditure by income group was serious. There should be no cases where the medical care support policy for elderly households can not use necessary medical services.
Social Polarization;Health Utilization;Health care Inequality;Concentration Index;Income Class
Supported by : Hoseo University
- K. H. Kwag. (2017). Socioeconomic Disparities in Trajectories of Health and Medical Expenditure among Adult Aged 55 to 64 Years, Health and Social Science, 46, 135-155.
- Y. S. Kim. (2012). Equity in Health Status and Health Care Utilization by Income: Analyzing different populations in old adults, Health and Social Science, 31, 55-81.
- Y. J. Lee & H. E. Kim. (2017). Impact of the Private Insurance Benefits and the medical Care Expenditure on Household Income Inequality. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(12), 625-633. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.12.625
- M. J. Kim. (2008). Polarization of Korean society.
- J. H. Kwak & K. Y. Hong. (2017). Leisure Inequality on Income-the Relationship of Leisure Time.Cost and Happiness, International Journal of Tourism Management and Science, 32(5), 293-309.
- S. I. Lee, H. R. Choi, H. S. Ahn, Y. I. Kim & Y. S. Shin. (1989). A study on the insurance contribution and health care utilization of the regional medical insurance scheme, Korea Journal of Preventive Medicine, 22(4), 578-590.
- S. B. A. Park, O. R. Moon & Y. J. Shin. (1996). A Study on the Equity of Medical Insurance Financing and Medical Utilization, Korea Health Economics Review, 2, 20-41.
- D. M. Chang. (1997). Equity in the Distribution of Health Services, Health and Social Science, 2(1), 23-55.
- S. H. Moon. (2004). Equity in the Finance and Delivery of Health Care, Social Security Research, 20, 59-81.
- S. M. Kwon, B. M. Yang, T. J. Lee, J. H. Oh & S. H. Lee. (2003). Equity of health care, Korea Health Economic Review, 9(2), 13-24.
- Y. J. Lee & S. Y. Kim. (2006). Equity of burden and use of health insurance by income level, Social Welfare Policy, 24, 173-199.
- Y. J. Lee, H. O. Lee & H. E. Kim. (2017). Analysis of the Inequalities in Healthcare Service Usage Considering Healthcare Service Needs, Journal of The Korea Contents Association, 17(11), 435-445. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.11.435
- J. N. Hwang. (2017). Income-related inequality in unmet healthcare needs-Implication of equity, Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 34(4), 83-97.
- O. R. Moom, G. S. Lee, H. J. Lee, Y. J. Shin, C. Y. Kim, K. H. Lee, H. J. Cho, D. M. Jang, S. B. A. Park & Y. M. Kim. (2016). Equity in Health Care Service in Korea, Social Security Research, 11, 105-150.
- Goodin, Robert E. (1987). Not only the Poor. Allen & Unwin.
- J. Le Grand & R. Robinson. (1984). The Economics of Social Problems, Macmillan Press.
- A. J. Culyer & A. Wagstaff. (1993). Equity and equality in health and health care. Journal of Health Economics, 12(4), 431-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6296(93)90004-X
- O. R. Moon & D. M. Jang. (1996). Equity of Access to Health Services under National Health Insurance System in Korea, Health Policy and Management, 6(1), 110-143.
- J. Le Grand. (1982). The Strategy of Equity, George Allen&Unwin.
- J. Le Grand & P. Vizard. (1998). The National Health Serivce : Crisis, Change, or Continuity, The State of Welfare, Oxford University Press.
- P. Braveman & S. Gruskin. (2003). Defining equity in health, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 57(4), 312-331.
- S. H. Jeon & D. H. Cho. (2017). Labor Supply and Poverty of the Elderly, The Journal of Korean Public Policy, 19(2), 71-93.
- S. M. Yun, K. P. Ko, S. G. Kim, M. N. Kanmg, Y. H. Lee & J. W. Lee. (2017). A Study on The Assessment of Various Elderly Poverty Indices(I). The Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- H. J. Kim. (2008). Household medical expenditure burden of the Poor, Korea Society, 9(1), 229-253.
- H. J. Lee & S. I. Lee. (2017). Unmet Health Care Needs and Impact of Type of Household among the Elderly in Korea, The Korean Journal of Health Economics and Policy, 23(2), 85-108.
- S. Y. Lee & S. C. Hong. (2003). Equity in Health Care Utilization by Income Class of Jeju Residents Who are Beneficiaries of National Health Insurance Program for Employees in South Korea, Health and Social Science, 14, 147-168.
- C. U. Kim, S. Y. Lee & S. C. Hong. (2003). A Difference in Utilization of Cancer Inpatient Services by Income Class of Residents in Jeju Island, Health Policy & Administration, 13(3), 104-128.
- J. W. Nam. (2007). The Size of Middle Class and Changing Income Distribution after Economic Crisis, Quarterly Journal of Labor Policy, 7(4), 1-24.
- J. H. Youn. (2005). Causes of Income Policies and Policy Directions, The Korean Economy: Beyond Globalization, Restructuring, and Polarization, Hanul Academy.