- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Seismic performance of low and medium-rise RC buildings with wide-beam and ribbed-slab
- Turker, Kaan (Balikesir University, Engineering Faculty, Department of Civil Engineering) ;
- Gungor, Ilhan (Boga Engineering Company)
- Received : 2017.09.25
- Accepted : 2018.06.26
- Published : 2018.10.25
In this study, seismic performance of low and medium-rise RC buildings with wide-beam and ribbed-slab were evaluated numerically. Moment resisting systems consisting of moment and dual frame were selected as structural system of the buildings. Sufficiency of moment resisting wide-beam frames designed with high ductility requirements were evaluated. Upon necessity frames were stiffen with shear-walls. The buildings were designed in accordance with the Turkish Earthquake Code (TEC 2007) and were evaluated by using the strain-based nonlinear static method specified in TEC. Second order (P-delta) effects on the lateral load capacity of the buildings were also assessed in the study. The results indicated that the predicted seismic performances were achieved for the low-rise (4-story) building with the high ductility requirements. However, the moment resisting frame with high ductility was not adequate for the medium-rise building. Addition of sufficient amount of shear-walls to the system proved to be efficient way of providing the target performance of structure.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, USA.
- Quintero-Febres, C.G. and Wight, J.K. (2001), "Experimental study of reinforced concrete interior wide beam-column connections subjected to lateral loading", ACI Struct. J., 98(4), 572-582.
- SAP2000-V8.1.2 (2008), Structural Analysis Program, Computers and Structures Inc., Berkeley, California, USA.
- Stehle, J.S., Goldsworthy, H. and Mendis, P. (2001), "Reinforced concrete interior wide-band beam-column connections subjected to lateral earthquake loading", ACI Struct. J., 98(3), 270-279.
- TEC (2007), Turkish Earthquake Code, The Minister of Public Works and Settlement, Ankara, Turkey.
- TS 500 (2000), Turkish Standard: Requirements for Design and Construction of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Institute of Turkish Standards, Ankara, Turkey.
- XTRACT (2004), Cross Section Analysis Program of Structural Engineers, Imbsen Software Systems.
- Malley, J.O., Celebi, M., Bruneau, M., Saaticioglu, M., Erdik, M. and Gulkan, P. (1993), "1992 Erzincan earthquake: Buildings", Earthq. Spectra, 9(S1), 49-85. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585751
- NZSA (1995), Standard for the Design of Concrete Structures (NZS3101-95), New Zealand Standards Authority, New Zealand.
- ACI 318 (2008), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- ASCE/SEI41-13 (2013), Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Buildings, American Society of Civil Engineers Virginia, USA.
- Benavent-Climent, A. (2005), "Shaking table tests of reinforced concrete wide beam-column connections", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(15), 1833-1839. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.507
- Benavent-Climent, A., Cahis, X. and Vico, J.M. (2010), "Interior wide beam-column connections in existing RC frames subjected to lateral earthquake loading", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 8(2), 401-420. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9144-3
- Cosar, A., Kocak, A., Guney, D., Selcuk, M.E. and Yildirim, M. (2011), "23 October 2011 Van earthquake technical investigation report", Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Donmez, C. (2013), "Seismic performance of wide-beam infill joist block RC frames in Turkey", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 29(1), 04014026. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000485
- Elsouri, A.M. and Harajli, M.H. (2013), "Behavior of reinforced concrete wide concealed-beam/narrow-column joints under lateral earthquake loading", ACI Struct. J., 110(2), 205-215.
- Eurocode-8 (2008), Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance-Part 1: General Rules, Seismic Actions and Rules for Buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- Gentry, R.G. and Wight, J.K. (1994), "Wide beam-column connections under earthquake-type loading", Earthq Spectra, 10(4), 675-703. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585793
- Gentry, T.R. (1992), "Reinforced concrete wide beam-column connections under earthquake-type loading", Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Goldsworthy, H.M. and Abdouka, K. (2011), "Displacement-based assessment of non ductile exterior wide band beam-column connections", J. Earthq. Eng., 16(1), 61-82. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2011.597488
- Gulkan, P. (1998), "Turkey earthquakes June 27 1998 Ceyhan Misis earthquake reconnaissance report, METU-DMC", METUEERC, Ankara, Turkey.
- Gungor, I. (2014), "Numerical investigations on seismic performance of RC buildings with ribbed slab and wide beam", M.Sc. Dissertation, Institute of Science, Balikesir University, Turkey.
- Kulkarni, S.A. and Li, B. (2008), "Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete Interior wide-beam column joints", J. Earthq. Eng., 13(1), 80-99. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460802211941
- Lopez-Almansa, F.L., Dominguez, D. and Benavent-Climent, A. (2013), "Vulnerability analysis of RC buildings with widebeams located in moderate seismicity regions", Eng. Struct., 46, 687-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.08.033