- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of KIOM-79 on streptozotocin-induced insulin-dependent diabetes in Sprague-Dawley rats
Streptozotocin을 이용한 제1형 당뇨 유발 흰쥐에서 KIOM-79의 효과
- Lee, Jong Hyuk (Medical course, School of Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- Yoon, Sang-Pil (Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Sook (Herbal Medicine Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Chang, In-Youb (Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Chosun University)
- Received : 2018.10.23
- Accepted : 2018.11.07
- Published : 2018.12.31
We investigated the effect of KIOM-79, 80% ethanolic extract of herbal prescription isolated from Magnolia officinalis, Pueraria lobate, Glycyrrhiza uralensis, and Euphorbia pekinensis, on streptozotocin-induced diabetes in Sprague-Dawley rats. The rats were treated orally with KIOM-79 (500 mg/kg/day) 1) for 3 days prior to streptozotocin (60 mg/kg, intraperitoneal) injection or 2) for 9 weeks after establishing diabetes model to examine acute and chronic effects on hyperglycemia and biochemical variables, respectively. As a result, KIOM-79 had little effects on hyperglycemic changes in acute model. Sexual comparison, however, showed reduced hyperglycemia in female rats, especially 24 hours after streptozotocin injection with or without KIOM-79 pretreatment. In chronic model, streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemia was well established, but KIOM-79 treatment showed no statistically significant effects on all variables. Thus, based on our findings KIOM-79 might have little effects on streptozotocin-induced insulin-dependent diabetes although it has been known to have hypoglycemic and antidiabetic effects on non-insulin-dependent diabetes models.
Supported by : 과학기술부
- Korean Diabetes Association. Diabetes fact sheet in Korea 2018. Korean Diabetes Association. 2018. P 1-40. Available from: URL http://www.diabetes.or.kr/pro/news/admin.php?category=A&code=admin&number=1546&mode=view
- Son AH, Koh JY, Lee DK, Shin HS. Review of domestic experimental studies of Korean medicine treatment for diabetes mellitus since 2013. J Int Korean Med 2017;38:10-9. https://doi.org/10.22246/jikm.2017.38.1.10
- Kim JS, Jang DS, Jeon YJ, You HJ, Park KH, Ming J, et al. Inhibition of p65 nuclear translocation by KIOM-79. Kor J Anat 2006;39:103-10.
- Wang JP, Hsu MF, Raung SI, Chen CC, Kuo JS, Teng CM. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of magnolol. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 1992:346;707-12.
- Miyazawa M, Sakano K, Nakamura S, Kosaka H. Antimutagenic activity of isolfavone from Pueraria lobata. J Agric Food Chem 2001;49:336-41. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000255w
- Lee KT, Sohn IC, Kim YK, Choi JH, Choi JW, Park HJ, et al. Tectorigenin, an isoflavone of Pueraria thunbergiana BENTH., induces differentiation and apoptosis in human promyelocytic leukemia HL-60 cells. Biol Pharm Bull 2001;24:1117-21. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.24.1117
- Wang ZY, Nixon DW. Licorice and cancer. Nutr Cancer 2001;39:1-11. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327914nc391_1
- Kang KA, Lee KH, Kim SY, Kim HS, Kim JS, Hyun JW. Cytoprotective effects of KIOM-79 on streptozotocin induced cell damage by inhibiting ERK and AP-1. Biol Pharm Bull 2007;30:852-8. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.30.852
- Kang KA, Kim JS, Zhang R, Piao MJ, Ko DO, Wang ZH, et al. Induction of heme oxygenase-1 by plant extract KIOM-79 via Akt pathway and NF-E2 related factor 2 in pancreatic beta-cells. J Toxicol Environ Health A 2008;71:1392-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287390802271624
- Kang KA, Kim JS, Zhang R, Piao MJ, Ko DO, Wang ZH, et al. Effect of KIOM-79 against mitochondrial damage induced by streptozotocin in pancreatic beta-cells. J Toxicol Environ Health A 2009;72:1201-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287390903127071
- Jung DH, Kim YS, Kim JS. KIOM-79 prevents S100b-induced TGF-beta1 and fibronectin expression in mouse mesangial cells. J Ethnophamacol 2009;125:374-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2009.08.002
- Kim DH, Park SC, Lee JH, Lee HY, Cho MK, Choi JY, et al. Recent research trends in Korean medicine treatment of diabetes mellitus - Focusing on domestic articles from 2008 to 2013. Korean J Orient Int Med 2013;34:240-55.
- Ku YP, Jin M, Kim KH, Ahn YJ, Yoon SP, You HJ, et al. Immunolocalization of 8-OHdG and OGG1 in pancreatic islets of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Acta Histochem 2009;111:138-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acthis.2008.05.008
- Kim JN, Chang IY, Kim HI, Yoon SP. Long-term effects of chitosan oligosaccharide in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Islets 2009;1:111-6. https://doi.org/10.4161/isl.1.2.9143
- Kalkhoff RK, Jacobson M, Lemper D. Progesterone, pregnancy and the augmented plasma insulin response. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1970;31:24-8. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-31-1-24
- Diamond MP, Simonson DC, DeFronzo RA. Menstrual cyclicity has a profound effect on glucose homeostasis. Fertil Steril 1989;52:204-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(16)60842-7
- El Seifi S, Green IC, Perrin D. Insulin release and steroid-hormone binding isolated islets of Langerhans in the rat: effects of ovariectomy. J Endocrinol 1981;90:59-67. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.0900059
- Kim JW, Lee KJ, Yoon SP. Sexual comparison of decreased postprandial glucose concentration with chitosan-oligosaccharides. J Chitin Chitosan 2007;12:222-7.
- Kim CS, Sohn EJ, Kim YS, Jung DH, Jang DS, Lee YM, et al. Effects of KIOM-79 on hyperglycemia and diabetic nephropathy in type 2 diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rats. J Ethnopharm 2007;111:240-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.11.023
- Kim YS, Kim J, Kim CS, Sohn EJ, Lee YM, Jeong IH, et al. KIOM-79, an inhibitor of AGEs-protein cross-linking, prevents progression of nephropathy in Zucker diabetic fatty rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011;1:761859.