- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Socio-Economic Status on Smoking Cessation Plans in Smokers
흡연자의 사회경제적 요인이 금연계획에 미치는 영향
- Gong, Mi-Jin (Graduate School of Catholic University of Pusan) ;
- Shim, Yong-Woo (Graduate School of Catholic University of Pusan)
- Received : 2018.01.29
- Accepted : 2018.06.26
- Published : 2018.06.30
Objectives : This study was to investigate the effect of socioeconomic factors of smokers on their smoking cessation plans, using Korean Welfare Panel data. Methods : Of the 16,664 subjects who responded to the 10th Korean Welfare Panel Survey, 2,246 respondents who answered that they were currently smoking were included in this study. Results : The variables that affected smoking cessation plans were female, low education level, low level of smoking per day, and more than 24 hours of smoking cessation experience. Conclusions : Expanding the smoking cessation program for women, preventing smoking in schools and providing smoking cessation education will likely have a positive effect on smoking cessation plans. In addition, it would be helpful to increase the amount of smoking cessation support aimed at reducing the amount of cigarettes smoked per day and continuing smoking cessation for more than 24 hours.
- National Health Insurance Policy Research Institute(2015), Assessing The Impact of Socio-Economic Impacts of Major Health Risk Factors and Regulatory Policies, National Health Insurance Service, pp.691-707.
- K.S. Jo(2005), National Tobacco Control Programmes, Health Welfare Policy Forum, pp.48-52.
- Y.J. Shin(2005), Effects of The Increase of Cigarette Price on Smoking: Evidence from Foreign Countries, Health Welfare Policy Forum, p.24.
- http://pys.pys21.net/ko/legislation/press-release-oct-13-2016-1/ (2016.10.13)
- Korea Centers for Disease Control(2016), Korea Health Statistics 2015 : Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Ministry of Health & Welfare, pp.24-25.
- J.S. Kim, J.O. Yu, M.S. Kim(2012). Factors Contributing to The Intention to Quit Smoking in Community-Dwelling Elderly Smokers, Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, Vol.23(4);358-365. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.4.358
- S.Y Ryu, J.H Shin, M.G. Kang, J. Park(2011). Factors Associated with Intention to Quit Smoking Among Male Smokers in 13 Communities in Honam Region of Korea: 2010 Community Health Survey, Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol.28(2);75-85.
- P. Marques-Vidal, J. Melich-Cerveira, F. Paccaud, G. Waeber, P. Vollenweider, J. Cornuz(2011), Prevalence and Factors Associated with Difficulty and Intention to Quit Smoking in Switzerland, BioMed Central Public Health, Vol.11(1);227. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-227
- K.H. Lee, Y.C. Chung, K.H. Kim(2014), Success Factors of Smoking Cessation Among New Enrollees and Re-enrollees in Smoking Cessation Clinics at Public Health Centers, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.91(12);445-455.
- S.R. Kim, O.K. Kim, K.E. Yun, Y.H. Khang, H.J. Cho(2009), Socioeconomic Factors Associated with Initiating and Quitting Cigarette Smoking Among Korean Men, Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol.30(6);415-425. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.6.415
- S.H. Cho, A.Y. Eom, G.S. Jeon(2012), The Effects of Socio-Economic Status on Drinking and Smoking in Korean Adolescents, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.6(4);13-25.
- S.R. Shin, C.O. Lee, G.C. Jeong(2013), Effect of a Smoking Cessation Motivational Program for Adolescents, Child Health Nurs Res, Vol.19(2);130-139. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2013.19.2.130
- Y.J. Kang(2015), Empirical Analysis for Socioeconomic Inequality in Smoking, Journal of Social Science, Vol.41(1);59-83. https://doi.org/10.15820/khjss.2015.41.1.003
- P. Fagan, E. Augustson, CL. Backinger, ME. O'Connell, RE. Vollinger(2007), Quit Attempts and Intention to Quit Cigarette Smoking Among Young Adults in The United States, Am J Public Health, Vol.97(8);1412-1420. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.103697
- E.J. Kang(2007), Clustering of Lifestyle Behaviors of Korean Adults Using Smoking, Drinking and Physical Activity, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Vol.27(2);44-66.
- Y.M. Ha, K.S. Park, H.O. Choi, S.K. Yang(2016), Self-efficacy and Preparation of Smoking Cessation in Service and Sales Woman Smokers Working in Department Stores. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.25(3);168-176. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.168
- H.R. Kim(2005). The Relationship of Socioeconomic Position and Health Behaviors with Morbidity in Seoul, Korea. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Vol.25(2);3-35.
- O.S. Kim, A.J. Kim, S.W. Kim, S.H. Baik(2001), The Effects of Anxiety, Depression and Self-esteem on Smoking and Nicotine Dependency Among Unmarried Woman Smokers. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.13(4);509-516.
- M.K. Seo(2011), Women's smoking behavior: Factors and policy options, Health Welfare Policy Forum, Vol.172(2);59-67.
- G. Feng, Y. Jiang, Q. Li, H. Yong, T. Elton-Marshall, J. Yang(2010), Individual-level Factors Associated with Intentions to Quit Smoking Among Adult Smokers in Six Cities of China: Findings from the ITC China Survey. Tobacco Control, Vol.19(2);i6-i11. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2010.037093
- H.R. Ahn(2015), Factors Associated with Intention to Quit Smoking in Community-dwelling Male Adult Smokers, Journal of Korean community nursing, Vol.26(4);364-371.
- S.M. Moon(2017), Factors Influencing Intention to Quit Smoking in Korean Adult Smokers: Using 2014 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol.19(3);178-190. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2017.19.3.178
- J.H. Hwang, S.W. Park(2014), Smoking Cessation Intention According to The Level of Cigarette Price Increase Among Adolescent Smokers, The Journal of The Korean Society of School Health, Vol.27(2);59-68. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2014.27.2.59