- Volume 24 Issue 3
Comparison of Forensic Demographic Characteristics, Interpersonal Problems, and Personality Disorders between Early and Late Onset Criminal Patients with Schizophrenia
범법 조현병 환자에서 발병연령에 따른 범죄인구특성과 대인관계문제 및 성격장애의 차이
- Cha, Seung Min (Institute of Forensic Psychiatry, Ministry of Justice) ;
- Choi, Jong Hyuk (Department of Psychiatry, Chungnam National University Hospital) ;
- Lee, Mi-Ji (Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Chee, Ik-Seung (Department of Psychiatry, Chungnam National University Hospital)
- Received : 2018.08.23
- Accepted : 2018.09.11
- Published : 2018.10.31
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to investigate the differences in forensic demographic characteristics, interpersonal problems and personality disorder between early and late onset criminal patients with schizophrenia. Methods : The participants included 187 inpatients with schizophrenia who had committed crimes. They filled out the Korean Inventory of Interpersonal Problem Personality Disorder Scales and Psychopathic Personality Inventory-Revised. They were divided into early onset group and late onset group according to onset age of schizophrenia at 26 years old(under 26 versus 26 and older) and forensic demographic characteristics, interpersonal problem and personality disorders including psychopathy were compared between two groups. Results : There were no differences in gender, education years and family history between the two groups. Early onset group was associated with lower age, earlier onset of age and earlier age at the time of the crime. Duration from onset to diagnosis was not different between the two groups. Duration from onset to crime and after diagnosis to crime was shorter in late onset group. There were no differences between the two groups in the interpersonal problems, personality disorder and psychopathic personality evaluation. Conclusion : These results suggested that there may be forensic demographic differences related to crime between early and later onset schizophrenia. Psychiatrists should consider the age at onset of schizophrenia when assessing the risk of violence in patients with schizophrenia. In the future. it will be needed other study of age classification such as admixture analysis.
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Harris MJ, Jeste DV. Late-onset schizophrenia: an overview. Schizophr Bull 1988;14:39-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/14.1.39
- Schurhoff F, Golmard JL, Szoke A, Bellivier F, Berthier A, Meary A, et al. Admixture analysis of age at onset in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 2004;71:35-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2004.02.002
- Panariello F, O'Driscoll L, de Souza RP, Tiwari A, Manchia M, Kennedy J, et al. Age at onset in Canadian schizophrenia patients: admixture analysis. Schizophr Res 2009;122:278-9.
- Kohler S, van der Werf M, Hart B, Morrison G, Mc-Creadie R, Kirkpatrick B, et al. Evidence that better outcome of psychosis in women is reversed with increasing age of onset: a population-based 5-year follow up study. Schizophr Res 2009;113:226-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2009.05.017
- Howard R, Rabins PV, Seeman MV, Jeste DV. Late-onset schizophrenia and very-late-onset schizophrenialike psychosis: an international consensus. The International Late-Onset Schizophrenia Group. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:172-8. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.157.2.172
- Selvendra A, Baetens D, Trauer T, Petrakis M, Castle D. First episode psychosis in an adult area mental health service-a closer look at early and late-onset first episode psychosis. Australas Psychiatry 2014;22:235-41. https://doi.org/10.1177/1039856214532558
- 반건호, 노봉근, 윤도준, 김용희, 염태호. 조기발병 및 후 기발병 정신분열병 환자의 임상특징 비교. 생물치료정신의학 2002;2:242-53.
- DeLisi LE. The significance of age of onset for schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1992;18:209-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/18.2.209
- Suvisaari JM, Haukka J, Tanskanen A, Lonnqvist JK. Age at onset and outcome in schizophrenia are related to the degree of familial loading. Br J Psychiatry 1998;173:494-500. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.173.6.494
- Faridi K, Pawliuk N, King S, Joober, Malla AK. Prevalence of psychotic and non-psychotic disorders in relatives of patients with a first episode psychosis. Schizophr Res 2009;114:57-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2009.07.007
- AbdelMalik P, Husted J, Chow EW, Bassett AS. Childhood head injury and expression of schizophrenia in multiply affected families. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003;60:231-6. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.60.3.231
- DeLisi LE, Boccio AM, Riordan H, Hoff AL, Dorfman A, McClelland J, et al. Familial thyroid disease and delayed language development in first admission patients with schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res 1991;38:39-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(91)90051-P
- Rabinowitz J, Fennig S. Differences in age of first hospitalization for schizophrenia among immigrants and nonimmigrants in a national case registry. Schizophr Bull 2002;28:491-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.schbul.a006956
- Hafner H, van der Heiden W, Behrens S, Gattaz WF, Hambrecht M, Loffler W, et al. Causes and consequences of the gender difference in age at onset of schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1998;24:99-113. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.schbul.a033317
- Howard R, Castle D, Wessely S, Murray R. A comparative study of 470 cases of early-onset and late-onset schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 1993;163:352-7. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.163.3.352
- Hodgins S. Violent behaviour among people with schizophrenia: a framework for investigations of causes, and effective treatment, and prevention. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 2008;363:2505-18. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2008.0034
- Hodgins S. Violent behaviour among people with schizophrenia: a framework for investigations of cause, effective treatment, and prevention. In Hodgins S, Viding E, plowdowski A(eds) The neurobiological Basis of Violence: Science and Rehabilitation. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2009. p. 43-65.
- Hodgins S, Cote G. The criminality of mentally disordered offenders. Criminal Justice and Behaviour 1993;20:115-29. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854893020002001
- Hodgins S. Major mental disorder and crime: an overview. Psychology Crime & Law 1995;2:5-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/10683169508409761
- Kratzer L, Hodgins S. A typology of offenders: a systematic review and meta analysis. Schizophr Res 1999;112:123-9.
- Horowitz LM, Rosenberg SE, Baer BA, Ureno G, Villasenor VS. Inventory of interpersonal problems: psychometric properties and clinical applications. J Consult Clin Psychol 1988;56:885-92. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.6.885
- 김영환, 진유경, 조용래, 권정혜, 홍상황, 박은영. 한국형대인관계문제 검사. 서울: 학지사; 2002.
- Lilienfeld SO, Andrews BP. Development and preliminary validation of a self-report measure of psychopathic personality traits in noncriminal populations. J Pers Assess 1996;66:488-524. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa6603_3
- Lilienfeld SO, Widow MR. Psychopathic personality inventory-revised professional manual. FL, USA. PAR. 2005.
- 이수정, 박혜영. 한국판 정신병질 성격평가 검사. 전문가 지침서. 서울: 학지사 심리검사연구소; 2009.
- Ochoa S, Usall J, Cobo J, Labad X, Kulkarni J. Gender differences on schizophrenia and first-episode psychosis: a comprehensive literature review. Schizophr Res Treat 2012;ID 916198:1-9.doi:10.1155.
- Chen L, Selvendra A, Stewart A, Castle D. Risk factors in early and late onset schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry 2018;80:155-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2017.09.009
- Vinokur D, Levine SZ, Roe D, Krivoy A, Fischel T. Age of onset group characteristic in forensic patients with schizophrenia. Eur Psychiatry 2014;29:149-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpsy.2012.11.006
- Volavka J, Citrome L. Heterogeneity of violence in schizophrenia and implications for long-term treatment. Int J Clin Pract 2008;62:1237-45. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2008.01797.x