- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Synthesis, Dispersion, and Tribological Characteristics of Alkyl Functionalized Graphene Oxide Nanosheets for Oil-based Lubricant Additives
액체 윤활제 첨가제용 알킬 기능화된 산화 그래핀의 합성/분산 및 트라이볼로지적 특성
- Received : 2018.04.03
- Accepted : 2018.05.26
- Published : 2018.10.10
Graphene has been reported to be an excellent lubricant additive that reduces friction and wear when coated on the surface of various materials or when dispersed in lubricants as an atomic thin material with the low surface energy. In this study, alkyl functionalized graphene oxide (FGO) nanosheets for oil-based lubricant additives were prepared by using three types of alkyl chloride chemicals (butyl chloride, octyl chloride, and tetradecyl chloride). The chemical and structural properties of the synthesized FGOs were analyzed by Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), X-ray diffraction (XRD), Raman spectroscopy, scanning electron microscope (SEM), and transmission electron microscope (TEM). The synthesized FGOs were dispersed at 0.02 wt% in PAO-0W40 oil and its tribological characteristics were investigated using a high frequency friction/wear tester. The friction coefficient and the wear track width of poly alpha olefin (PAO) oil added with FGO-14 were tested by a ball-on-disk method, and the measured results were reduced by ~5.88 and ~3.8%, respectively compared with those of the conventional PAO oil. Thus, it was found that the wear resistance of PAO oil was improved. In this study, we demonstrated the successful functionalization of GO as well as the improvement of dispersion stability and tribological characteristics of FGOs based on various alkyl chain lengths.
- S. Stankovich, D. A. Dikin, R. D. Piner, K. A. Kohlhaas, A. Kleinhammes, Y. Jia, and R. S. Ruoff, Synthesis of graphene-based nanosheets via chemical reduction of exfoliated graphite oxide, Carbon, 45, 1558-1565 (2007).
- A. C. Ferrari and J. Robertson, Interpretation of Raman spectra of disordered and amorphous carbon, Phys. Rev. B, 61, 14095-14107 (2000).
- R. Gusain and O. P. Khatri, Ultrasound assisted shape regulation of CuO nanorods in ionic liquids and their use as energy efficient lubricant additives, J. Mater. Chem. A, 1, 5612-5619 (2013).
- J. Luo, H. D. Jang, T. Sun, L. Xiao, Z. He, A. P. Katsoulidis, and J. Huang, Compression and aggregation-resistant particles of crumpled soft sheets, ACS Nano, 5, 8943-8949 (2011).
- X. Dou, A. R. Koltonow, X. He, H. D. Jang, Q. Wang, Y. W. Chung, and J. Huang, Self-dispersed crumpled graphene balls in oil for friction and wear reduction, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 113, 1528-1533 (2016).
- W. S. Ma, J. Li, B. J. Deng, and X. S. Zhao, Preparation and characterization of long-chain alkyl silane-functionalized graphene film, J. Mater. Sci., 48, 156-161 (2013).
- S. H. Lee, J. M. Yun, J. Kwon, and S. O. Kim, Tailored assembly of graphene from solvent dispersion, Polym. Sci. Technol., 22, 130-136 (2011).
- W. Zhang, M. Zhou, H. Zhu, Y. Tian, K. Wang, J. Wei, and D. Wu, Tribological properties of oleic acid-modified graphene as lubricant oil additives, J. Phys. D, 44, 205303-205306 (2011).
- H. P. Mungse, N. Kumar, and O. P. Khatri, Synthesis, dispersion and lubrication potential of basal plane functionalized alkylated graphene nanosheets, RSC Adv., 5, 25565-25571 (2015).
- N. A. Daud, B. W. Chieng, N. A. Ibrahim, and Z. A. Talib, Synthesis and characterisation of functionalised-graphene oxide by gamma-ray irradiation, J. Eng. Sci., 13, 1-17 (2017).
- S. Arunvisut, S. Phummanee, and A. Somwangthanaroj, Effect of clay on mechanical and gas barrier properties of blown film LDPE/clay nanocomposites, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 106, 2210-2217 (2007).
- J. Jang, V. H. Pham, B. Rajagopalan, S. H. Hur, and J. S. Chung, Effects of the alkylamine functionalization of graphene oxide on the properties of polystyrene nanocomposites, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 424, 62-66 (2014).
- S. H. Ryu and A. M. Shanmugharaj, Influence of long-chain alkylamine-modified graphene oxide on the crystallization, mechanical and electrical properties of isotactic polypropylene nanocomposites, Chem. Eng. J., 244, 552-560 (2014).
- W. Sun, R. Hu, M. Zhang, J. Liu, and M. Zhu, Binding of carbon coated nano-silicon in graphene sheets by wet ballmilling and pyrolysis as high performance anodes for lithium-ion batteries, J. Power Sources., 318, 113-120 (2016).
- T. Yokohata, K. Kato, T. Miyamoto, and R. Kaneko, Load-dependency of friction coefficient between silicon-oxides and diamond under ultra-low contact load, J. Tribol., 120, 503-509 (1998).
- K. Holmberg, P. Andersson, and A. Erdemir, Global energy consumption due to friction in passenger cars, Tribol. Int., 47, 221-234 (2012).
- O. Tevet, P. Von-Huth, R. Popovitz-Biro, R. Rosentsveig, H. D. Wagner, and R. Tenne, Friction mechanism of individual multilayered nanoparticles, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 108, 19901-19906 (2011).
- Y. Tian, Z. Li, W. Gao, K. Cai, F. Wang, D. Zhang, and S. Fatikow, Mechanical properties investigation of monolayer h-BN sheet under in-plane shear displacement using molecular dynamics simulations, J. Appl. Phys., 115, 14308-14330 (2014).
- M. Chhowalla and G. A. Amaratunga, Thin films of fullerene-like MoS2 nanoparticles with ultra-low friction and wear, Nature, 407, 164-167 (2000).
- A. K. Geim and K. S. Novoselov, The rise of grapheme, Nature Mater., 6, 183-191 (2007).
- D. Berman, A. Erdemir, and A. V. Surmant, Graphene: A new emerging lubricant, Mater. Today, 17, 31-42 (2014).
- K. S. Kim, H. J. Lee, C. Lee, S. K. Lee, H. Jang, J. H. Ahn, J. H. Kim, and H. J. Lee, Chemical vapor deposition-grown graphene: the thinnest solid lubricant, ACS Nano, 5, 5107-5114 (2011).
- S. B. Rho, H. Lee, and K. H. Son, Studies on solid inflammable lubricants for refractory slates, J. Korea Acad. Ind. Coop. Soc., 16, 2308-2313 (2015).
- H. Chen, L. Xiao, Y. Xu, X. Zeng, and Z. B. Ye, A novel nanodrag reducer for low permeability reservoir water flooding: Long-chain alkylamines modified graphene oxide, J. Nanomater., 2016, 8716257-8716265 (2016).
- Z. Chen, Y. Liu, and J. Luo, Chin. Tribological properties of few-layer graphene oxide sheets as oil-based lubricant additives, J. Mech. Eng., 29, 439-444 (2016).