- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An experimental study on the viscosity features of sealant (bentonite-cement slurry) in umbrella arch method
강관다단공법에 적용되는 씰링재 (벤토나이트-시멘트 슬러리)의 점성 특성에 대한 실험
- Sagong, Myung (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Jun S. (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Park, Jeongjun (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Cho, Chungsik (Geotech Engineering Co., Ltd.)
- 사공명 (한국철도기술연구원 첨단궤도토목연구본부) ;
- 이준석 (한국철도기술연구원 첨단궤도토목연구본부) ;
- 박정준 (한국철도기술연구원 첨단궤도토목연구본부) ;
- 조충식 (지오텍엔지니어링(주) 설계팀)
- Received : 2018.06.14
- Accepted : 2018.07.19
- Published : 2018.09.30
In this paper, viscosity features of sealant (bentonite-cement slurry), which is used for umbrella arch method in tunnel, were studied. The sealant must secure optimal strength and capacity for the waterproof and stabilization of borehole as well as to satisfy groutability. In this study, the variation of viscosity was measured with different mixing processes. With an increase of initial mixing period with water and bentonite mixture, the required time for the rapid increase of viscosity of the sealant is shorten. With increase of mixing period, the possibility of swelling of bentonite will increases and this can lead increase of the viscosity of the mixture. In addition, the behaviors of sealant vary with a drastic increase of the viscosity: thixotropy and rheopexy. Furthermore, the bentonite/water mixing period influences on the bleeding features of the sealant. Further study is required to introduce the guideline, which can be applicable in the field in the aspect of required capacity of the sealants and mixing processes of the ingredients.
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- Ahmed, A.A., Saaid, I.M., Akhir, N.A.M., Rashedi, M. (2016), "Influence of various cation valence, salinity, pH and temperature on bentonite swelling behavior", AIP Conference Proceedings 1774, 04005, American Institute of Physics.
- ASTM (2014), "Standard test method for viscosity and gel time of chemical grouts by rotational viscometer (laboratory method)", ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Devereux, S. (2012), "Drilling Technology in Nontechnical Language", PennWell Books, Oklahoma, USA.
- Durham, J. (1996), The prediction of shear strength in bentonite/cement grouts, Ph.D. Thesis, Lougborough University, pp. 239-275.
- Hong, Y.H., Yu, J.D., Byun, Y.H., Jang H.I., You, B.C., Lee, J.S. (2013), "Integrity evaluation of grouting in umbrella arch methods by using guided ultrasonic waves", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 187-199. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2013.15.3.187
- Kim, D.Y., Lee, J.W., Jung, J.H., Kang, H.B., Jee, S.H. (2017), "A fundamental study of slurry management for slurry shield TBM by sea water influence", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 463-473. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2017.19.3.463
- Koch, D. (2002), "Bentonites as a basic material for technical base liners and site encapsulation cut-off walls", Applied Clay Science, Vol. 21, No. 1-2, pp. 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-1317(01)00087-4
- KR Network (2017), "Report on the experiments of the mixing ratio of sealing and grouting material for umbrella arch method", Korea Rail Network Authority.
- Lamb, T.W. (1958), "The structure of compacted clay", Journal of the Soil Mechanical and Foundation Division ASCE, Vol. 84, No. SM2, pp. 1654-1-1654-34.
- Lee, J.S., Sagong, M., Park, J., Choi, I. (2018), "Design of umbrella arch method based on adaptive SVM and reliability concept", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 701-715.
- Luckham, P.F., Rossi, S. (1999), "The colloidal and rheological properties of bentonite suspensions", Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 82, No. 1-3, pp. 43-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-8686(99)00005-6
- Noh, J.H. (2002), "Applied-mineralogical characterization and assessment of some domestic bentonite (I): mineral composition and characteristics, cation exchange properties, and their relationships", Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 329-344.
- Noh, J.H., Yu, J.Y., Choi, W. (2003), "Applied-mineralogical characterization and assessment of some domestic bentonite (II): mineralogical characteristics, surface area, rheological properties, and their relationships", Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 33-47.
- Roussel, N., Ovarlez, G., Garrault, S., Brumaud, C. (2012), "The origins of thixotropy of fresh cement pastes", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 148-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2011.09.004
- Tehrani, A. (2008), "Thixotropy in water-based drilling fluids", Annual Transactions of the Nordic Rheology Society, Vol 16. pp. 1-13.