- Volume 27 Issue 3
Purpose This study investigated the impact of review language style (affective vs. cognitive) on review helpfulness and the moderating effects of the types of attractions in the relationships between the review language and its helpfulness. Design/methodology/approach This study investigates the impact of review language style (affective vs. cognitive) on review helpfulness and the moderating effects of the types of attractions in the relationships between the review language and its helpfulness. This study selected two hedonic and utilitarian attractions (Hedonic: Brandenburg Gate, Utilitarian: Peragamon Museum) located in Berlin. A total of 3,320 reviews was collected from TripAdvisor. We divided online reviews posted for these places into reviews with more affective language and with more cognitive language by using the LIWC. Then, we investigated the impact of language effect on review helpfulness across the attraction type. Findings The findings suggest that peers tend to judge more helpful toward cognitive language in attraction reviews regardless of attraction type. This study found that peers tend to perceive more helpful toward cognitive review in utilitarian attractions. Even though there was an interaction effect between review language and attraction type, in hedonic attractions, the influence of cognitive language was reduced, but still cognitive reviews would get more helpful votes.
Smart tourism destinations;Online reviews;Communication-persuasion paradigm;Affective vs. cognitive language;Attraction Type
- Wakefield, R. L., Wakefield, K. L., Baker, J., and Wang, L. C., "How website socialness leads to website use," European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2011, pp. 118-132.
- Williams, P., and Soutar, G. N., "Value, satisfaction and behavioral intentions in an adventure tourism context," Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 36, No. 3, 2009, pp. 413-438.
- Wu, L., Shen, H., Fan, A., and Mattila, A. S., "The impact of language style on consumers' reactions to online reviews," Tourism Management, Vol. 59, 2017, pp. 590-596.
- Xiao, B., and Benbasat, I., "E-commerce product recommendation agents: use, characteristics, and impact," MIS quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 1, 2007, pp. 137-209.
- Yang, S. B., Hlee, S., Lee, J., and Koo, C., "An empirical examination of online restaurant reviews on Yelp. com: A dual coding theory perspective," International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 29, No, 2, 2017, pp. 817-839.
- Yoo, K. and Gretzel, U., "Influence of personality on travel-related consumergenerated media creation," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 27, No. 2, 2011, pp. 609-621.
- Yoo, K., and Gretzel, U., "Measuring the credibility of recommender systems," Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism, Springer International Publishing, 2006, pp. 285-295.
- Yoo, K. H., Gretzel, U., and Zanker, M., Persuasive recommender systems: conceptual background and implications. Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
- Zanker, M., Bricman, M., Gordea, S., Jannach, D., and Jessenitschnig, M., "Persuasive online-selling in quality and taste domains," In International Conference on Electronic Commerce and Web Technologies, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. September 2006, pp. 51-60.
- Racherla, P., and Friske, W., "Perceived 'usefulness' of online consumer reviews: An exploratory investigation across three services categories," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol. 11, No. 6, 2012, pp. 548-559.
- Racherla, P., Mandviwalla, M., and Connolly, D. J, "Factors affecting consumers' trust in online product reviews," Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2012, pp. 94-104.
- Rhee, H. T., Yang, S. B., Koo, C., and Chung, N., "How Does Restaurant Attribute Importance Differ by the Type of Customer and Restaurant? Exploring TripAdvisor Reviews," Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism. Springer International Publishing. 2015.
- Snepenger, D., Murphy, L., Snepenger, M., and Anderson, W., "Normative meanings of experiences for a spectrum of tourism places," Journal of Travel Research, Vol. 43, No. 2, 2004, pp. 108-117.
- Sundar, S. S., and Nass, C., "Source orientation in human-computer interaction: Programmer, networker, or independent social actor," Communication Research, Vol. 27, No. 6, 2000, pp. 683-703.
- Sundar, S. S., and Nass, C., "Conceptualizing sources in online news," Journal of Communication, Vol. 51, No. 1, 2001, pp. 52-72.
- Sundar, S. S., "Loyalty to computer terminals: is it anthropomorphism or consistency?". Behaviour & Information Technology, Vol. 23, No. 2, 2004, pp. 107-118.
- Sussman, S. W., and Siegal, W. S., "Informational influence in organizations: An integrated approach to knowledge adoption," Information Systems Research, Vol. 14, No., 1, 2003, pp. 47-65.
- TripAdvisor, Retrieved December 31st, 2015, Available: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187870-d191172-Reviews-Canal_Grande-Venice_Veneto.html.
- Visit Berlin, Brandenburg Gate, Retrieved October 18, 2016, Available: http://www.visitberlin.de/en/spot/brandenburg-gate.
- Wang, W., and Benbasat, I., "Trust in and Adoption of Online Recommendation Agents," Journal of the association for information systems, Vol. 6, No. 3, 2005, pp. 72-100.
- Wang, W., and Benbasat, I., "Recommendation agents for electronic commerce: Effects of explanation facilities on trusting beliefs," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2007, pp. 217-246.
- Jensen, M. L., Averbeck, J. M., Zhang, Z., and Wright, K. B., "Credibility of anonymous online product reviews: A language expectancy perspective," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2013, pp. 293-324.
- Kim, J. H., Byeon, H. S., and Lee, S. H., "Enhancement of user understanding and service value using online reviews," The Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2011, pp. 21-36.
- Kronrod, A., and Danziger, S., " "Wii will rock you!" The use and effect of figurative language in consumer reviews of hedonic and utilitarian consumption," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 40, No. 4, 2013, pp. 726-739.
- Lam, T., and Hsu, C. H., "Predicting behavioral intention of choosing a travel destination," Tourism Management, Vol. 27, No. 4, 2006, pp. 589-599. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2005.02.003
- Le, H. S., Lee, J. H., and Lee, H. K., "Analyzing Visitors' Preferences on Tourism Accommodation Services by Opinion Mining," 인터넷전자상거래연구, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2017, pp. 111-127.
- Lee, K. Y., and Yang, S. B., "The role of online product reviews on information adoption of new product development professionals," Internet Research, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2015, 435-452.
- Liu, Z., and Park, S., "What makes a useful online review? Implication for travel product websites," Tourism Management, Vol. 47, 2015, pp. 140-151.
- Ludwig, S., De Ruyter, K., Friedman, M., Bruggen, E. C., Wetzels, M., and Pfann, G., "More than words: The influence of affective content and linguistic style matches in online reviews on conversion rates," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 77, No. 1, 2013, pp. 87-103.
- Mayer, N. D., and Tormala, Z. L., " "Think" versus "feel" framing effects in persuasion," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol. 36, No. 4, 2010, 443-454. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167210362981
- Miller, N., Maruyama, G., Beaber, R. J., and Valone, K., "Speed of speech and persuasion," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol. 34, No. 4, 1976, pp. 615-624.
- Mudambi, S. M., and Schuff, D., "Research note: What makes a helpful online review? A study of customer reviews on Amazon. com," MIS quarterly, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 185-200.
- O'keefe, D. J., Persuasion: Theory and research, Vol. 2, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2002.
- Drolet, A., Williams, P., and Lau-Gesk, L., "Age-related differences in responses to affective vs. rational ads for hedonic vs. utilitarian products," Marketing Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 2007, pp. 211-221. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11002-007-9016-z
- Fang, B., Ye, Q., Kucukusta, D., and Law, R., "Analysis of the perceived value of online tourism reviews: Influence of readability and reviewer characteristics," Tourism Management, Vol. 52, 2016, pp. 498-506.
- Fogg, B. J., Lee, E., and Marshall, J., Interactive technology and persuasion. The Handbook of Persuasion: Theory and Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2002.
- Gallarza, M. G., and Saura, I. G., "Value dimensions, perceived value, satisfaction and loyalty: an investigation of university students' travel behaviour," Tourism Management, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2006, pp. 437-452.
- Gavalas, D., Konstantopoulos, C., Mastakas, K., and Pantziou, G., "Mobile recommender systems in tourism," Journal of network and computer applications, Vol. 39, 2014, pp. 319-333.
- Gretzel, U., Consumer responses to preference elicitation processes in destination recommendation systems. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2004.
- Gretzel, U., and Fesenmaier, D. R., "Persuasion in recommender systems," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2006, pp. 81-100.
- Gretzel, U., and Yoo, K. H., "Use and impact of online travel reviews," Information and communication technologies in tourism, 2008, pp. 35-46.
- Hlee, S., Lee, J., Yang, S. B., and Koo, C., "An empirical examination of online restaurant reviews (Yelp. com): Moderating roles of restaurant type and self-image disclosure," In Information and communication technologies in tourism, 2016, pp. 339-353.
- Hlee, S., Lee, J., Yang, S. B., and Koo, C., "The moderating effect of restaurant type on hedonic versus utilitarian review evaluations," International Journal of Hospitality Management, 2018a (forthcoming).
- Hlee, S., Lee, H., and Koo, C., "Hospitality and Tourism Online Review Research: A Systematic Analysis and Heuristic-Systematic Model," Sustainability, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2018b, 1141.
- Hong, T. H., Niu, H., Ren, G., and Park, J. Y., "Multi-Topic Sentiment Analysis using LDA for Online Review", 정보시스템연구, Vol. 27, No. 1, 2018, pp. 89-110.
- Adomavicius, G., Sankaranarayanan, R., Sen, S., and Tuzhilin, A., "Incorporating contextual information in recommender systems using a multidimensional approach," ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), Vol. 23, No. 1, 2005, pp. 103-145.
- Ayeh, J. K., Au, N., and Law, R., "Do we believe in TripAdvisor?" Examining credibility perceptions and online travelers' attitude toward using usergenerated content," Journal of Travel Research, Vol. 52, No. 4, 2013, pp. 437-452.
- Baek, H., Ahn, J., and Choi, Y., "Helpfulness of online consumer reviews: Readers' objectives and review cues," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol., 17, No. 2, 2012, pp. 99-126.
- Botti, S., and McGill, A. L., "The locus of choice: Personal causality and satisfaction with hedonic and utilitarian decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 37, No. 6, 2012, pp. 1065-1078.
- Buller, D. B., Burgoon, M., Hall, J. R., Levine, N., Taylor, A. M., Beach, B., and Melcher, C., "Long-term effects of language intensity in preventive messages on planned family solar protection," Health communication, Vol., 12, No. 3, 2000, pp. 261-275.
- Burgoon, J. K., and Jones, S. B., "Toward a theory of personal space expectations and their violations," Human Communication Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, 1976, pp. 131-146.
- Byun, J., and Jang, S. S., "Effective destination advertising: Matching effect between advertising language and destination type," Tourism Management, Vol. 50, 31-40.
- Dhar, R., and Wertenbroch, K., "Consumer choice between hedonic and utilitarian goods," Journal of marketing research, Vol. 37, No. 1, 2000, pp. 60-71.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea