- Volume 13 Issue 4
Exploring the Mediating Effect of Product Novelty of Business Ventures on the Relationship between Product Development Strategy Implementation and Performance
벤처기업의 제품개발 전략 실행과 제품개발 성과간의 관계에서 제품 혁신성의 매개효과 검증
- Yoon, Hyunjoong (Division of Business Administration & Accounting, Kangwon National University)
- 윤현중 (강원대학교)
- Received : 2018.07.10
- Accepted : 2018.08.27
- Published : 2018.08.31
This study examines the mediating effect of product innovation on the relationship between product development strategy implementation and product development performance of business ventures. The previous researches on product development has mainly focused on the role of venture firms' technological capabilities or that of entrepreneurship in product development. Although there are many important discussions related to the product development of business venture, a more discussion on the relationship between product development strategy implementation and performance of product development is needed. The purpose of current study is to examine the relationship between the entrepreneurial orientation and the R&D department on product development performance. To confirm the model of Day & Wensley(1988) that product novelty mediates the relationship between product development strategy and product development performance. The research results of 703 Korean business ventures suggest that the implementation strategies for product development such as utilizing entrepreneurial orientation and R&D department are more effective for business ventures in terms of product development performance. Also product novelty was prove to be a mediator that intervene the relationships between implementation of product development strategy and product development performance. Those findings may provide implications for whom has interested in the relationship between entrepreneurship and product development performance of business ventures. The differences in between new and existing product performance from the implementation strategy of product development may provide implications for practitioners who understand the process of product development.
- Baum, J. A. C., Calabrese, T., & Silverman, B. S.(2000). Don't Go It Alone: Alliance Network Composition and Startups' Performance in Canadian Biotechnology. Strategic Management Journal, 21(March Special), 267-294. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<267::AID-SMJ89>3.0.CO;2-8
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A.(1986). The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Baron, R. A., & Shane, S.(2005). Entrepreneurship: A Process Perspective, Tompson, OH: South-Westen.
- Choi, S. H., Kang, H. K., & An, N.(2017). The Influence of Entrepreneurial Orientation of Small-Medium Enterprise's CEO on Business Performance: Mediating Effect of Product and Service Innovation, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 12(4), 145-157. https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.12.4.201708.145
- Choi, J. Y.(2015). Relationship Analysis among Entrepreneurship, Innovation Capability, External Cooperation, and Technological Innovation Performance for Venture Companies, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 10(5), 219-231. https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.10.5.201510.219
- Cooper, R. G., Edgett, S. J., & Kleinschmidt, E. J.(2004). Benchmarking Best NPD practices, Research Technology Management, 47(1), 31-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/08956308.2004.11671606
- Cohen, W. M., & Levinthal, D. A.(1990). Absorptive Capacity: A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation, Administrative Science Quarterly, 35(1), 128-152. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393553
- Covin, J. G., & Slevin, D. P.(1991). A Conceptual Model of Entrepreneurship as Firm Behavior, Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 16(1), 7-25. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879101600102
- Covin, J. G., & Slevin, D. P.(1989). Strategic Management of Small Firms in Hostile and Benign Environments, Strategic Management Journal, 10(1), 75-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250100107
- Day, G. S., & Wensley, R.(1988). Assessing Advantage: A Framework for Diagnosing Competitive Superiority, Journal of Marketing, 52(April), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298805200401
- Deeds, D. I., & Hill, D.(1996). Strategic Alliances and the Rate of New Product Development: An Empirical Study of Entrepreneurial Biotechnology Firms, Journal of Business Venturing, 11(1), 41-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(95)00087-9
- Ernst, H.(2002). Success Factors of New Product Development: A Review of the Empirical Literature, International Journal of Management Review, 4(1), 1-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-2370.00075
- Haeussler. C., Patzelt, H., & Zahra, S. A.(2012). Strategic Alliances and Product Development in High Technology New Firms: The Moderating Effect of Technological Capabilities, Journal of Business Venturing, 27, 217-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2010.10.002
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., & Black, W. C. (1998). Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings (5th ed.), Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall.
- Hoang, H., & Rothaermel, F. T.(2010). Leveraging Internal and External Experience: Exploration, Exploitation and R&D Project Performance, Strategic Management Journal, 31(7), 74-758.
- Hong, J. H., Choi, I. H., & Park, C. H.(2010). Market Orientation, Entrepreneurship Orientation, and New Product Performance in SMEs, Asia Pacific Journal of Small Business, 32(1), 107-131.
- Jung, D. H., & Kim, H. J.(2006). A Study on the Impact of the Organization Traits and New product Creativity on Development Performance, Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, 16(2), 109-132. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2006.9707367
- Keh, H. T., Nguyen, T. T. M., & Ng, H. P.(2007). The Effects of Entrepreneurial Orientation and Marketing Information of the Performance of SMEs, Journal of Business Venturing, 22(4). 592-611. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2006.05.003
- Kim, J. D.(1999). A Comparative Study on the Success Factors of New Product Development in the Small and Large Firms, Journal of the Korean Production and Operations Management Society, 10(2), 147-182.
- Lester, D. H.(1998). Critical Success Factors for New Product Development, Research Technology Management, 41(1), 36-43.
- March, J. G.(1991). Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning, Organization Science, 2, 71-87. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Na, S. G., & Na, A. G.(2010). Structural Relationship among Entrepreneurship Orientation, New Product Development Factors and New Product Performance: With a Focus on Medium-sized Manufacturing Enterprises, Journal of the Korean Institute of Plant Engineering, 15(3), 85-99.
- Nunnally, J. C.(1978). Psychometric Theory (2nd Ed.), New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Park, C. M.(2012). Analysis on the Relationship of MOT and NPD performance-Medium-Sized Manufacturing Firms-, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 7(4), 159-168. https://doi.org/10.16972/apjbve.7.4.201212.159
- Rauch, A., Wiklund, J., Lumpkin, G. T., & Frese, M.(2009). Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance: An Assessment of Past Research and Suggestions for the Future, Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 33(3), 761-787. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00308.x
- Rothaermel, E. R., & Deeds, D. I.(2004). Exploration and Exploitation Alliances in Biotechnology: A System of New Product Development, Strategic Management Journal, 25(3), 201-221. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.376
- Seo, S. H., & Cho, S. H.(2000). A Study of Key Success Factors in New Product Development-Focused on Korean Cosmetic Industry-, Korea Marketing Journal, 2(3), 64-89.
- Stinchcombe, A. L.(1968). Social Structure and Organizations. In J. G. March (Ed.), Handbook of Organizations: 142-193. Chicago, IL: Rand McNally.
- Thomke, S., & Reinertsen, D.(2012). Six Myths of Product Development, Harvard Business Review, May, 85-94.
- Wiklund, J.(1999). The Sustainability of the Entrepreneurial Orientation-Performance Relationship, Entrepreneurship : Theory and Practice, 24(1), 37-48 https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879902400103
- Woo, H. R., & Kwon, J. E.(2013). The Influence of Entrepreneurial Orientation and Absorptive Capacity on SME's NPD, Journal of Technology Innovation, 21(2), 57-85.
- Yang, Y. I.(2007). The Effects of Market Driven, Market Driving, Technological Orientations on Product Creativity and Performance, Korea Marketing Review, 22(4), 41-62.
- Yoon, H. J.(2015). A Theoretical Review of Research on Entrepreneurial Orientation, Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 10(5), 45-62.
- Yoon, H. J.(2014). A Meta Analysis of Entrepreneurial Orientation, Journal of Strategic Management, 17(3), 19-40. https://doi.org/10.17786/jsm.2014.17.3.002
- Zahra, S. A., & George, G.(2002). Absorptive Capacity: A Review, Reconceptualization, and Extension, Academy of Management Review, 27(2), 185-203. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2002.6587995
- Zahra, S. A., & Nielson, A. P.(2002). Source of Capabilities, Integration and Technology Commercialization, Strategic Management Journal, 23(5), 377-398. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.229