- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Self-leadership and Rejection Sensitivity on Subjective Quality of Life in College Students
전문대학생의 셀프리더십, 거부민감성이 주관적 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Yunju (Department of Nursing, JEI University) ;
- Seo, Bomi (Department of Nursing, JEI University)
- Received : 2018.06.01
- Accepted : 2018.09.07
- Published : 2018.09.30
The purpose of this study was to provide a basic data required to improve the satisfaction of life in college students. A sample of 607 students attending the university in Incheon, Korea completed a survey, which consisted of a quality of life questionnaire and sociodemographic inventory. The data were collected between November 14 and November 30, 2016. Data analysis was performed using t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and stepwise multiple regression analysis with SPSS/WIN 18.0 program. The subjective quality of life was significantly correlated with self-leadership (r=.279, p<0.01) and rejection sensitivity (r=-.224, p<0.01). The significant predictors that influence the quality of life of subjects were satisfaction in major, natural reward strategies, gender, anticipated anxiety and grade, in which 27.6% (F=47.27, p<0.01) was the explained variance. (Ed note: confirm) This study showed that rejection sensitivity and self-leadership were significant factors that influenced college students' subjective quality of life. Therefore, college administrators may consider developing educational programs about rejection sensitivity and self-leadership for college students to improve subjective quality of life.
- Y. S. Jang, A Study on the Quality of Life of Koreans, p195, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2007.
- J. H. Jeon, "Multiple Mediating Effects between Attachment and Life Quality among Freshmen in University - Stress, Affect, Social Support, Mental Health -", Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol.22, No.2, pp.257-266, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2013.22.2.257
- S. H. Min, "An exploratory study on the basic workplace literacy development for the junior college students", The Korea Association of Future Education, Vol.17, No.1, pp.73-97, 2004.
- M. J. Cho, "The Effects of Career Maturity of College Students on Job-Seeking Anxiety and Stress", Dong-A University, Unpublished master's thesis, 2010.
- S. Y. Han, "Quality of Life and Intrinsic Motivation", The Korean Journal of Culture and Social Issues, Vol.2, No.1, pp.95-111, 1995.
- S. R. Hong, "Perceptions of the Self-Efficacy of Youth and Subjective Quality of Life", Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol.29, No.6, pp.71-87, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2011.29.6.071 https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2011.29.6.071
- S. J. Lee, J. H. Yu, "The Mediation Effect of Self-Efficacy between Academic and Career Stress and Adjustment to College", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.22, No.3, pp.589-607, 2008.
- M. H. Kim, Y. J. Kim, "A Study on the Influences of the Self-leadership of College Students Majoring in Beauty Arts on Their Learning Effects and College Life Satisfaction", Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, Vol.22, No.4, pp.25-36, 2016.
- C. Y. Park, "The Relationship Between Self-Leadership and Self-Esteem of College Students", Korean journal of physical education, Vol 53, No.2, pp.137-149, 2014.
- C. C. Manz, "Self-Leadership: Toward an Expanded Theory of Self-Influence Processes in Organizations", Academy of Management Review, Vol.11, No.3, pp.585-600, 1986. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2307/258312 https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1986.4306232
- Y. K. Shin, M. S. Kim, Y. S. Han, "A Study on the Validation of the Korean Version of the Revised Self-Leadership Questionnaire(RSLQ) for Korean College Students", THE KOREAN JOURNAL OF SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY, Vol.6, No.3, pp.313-340, 2009.
- K. H. Kim, "Analysis of Influence and Relationship between Self-Leadership and Employment Strategies in University Students", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.20, No.10, pp.369-390, 2013.
- J. M. Boo, D. O. Kang, E. H. Kang, "The mediating effect of defense mechanism in relationship between college students' stress from interpersonal relationship and psychological well-being", Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol.17, No.3, pp.295-318, 2016.
- S. Feldman, G. Downey, "Rejection sensitivity as a mediator of the impact of childhood exposure to family violence on adult attachment behavior", Development and Psychopathology, Vol.6, No.1, pp.231-247, 1994. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400005976 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400005976
- M. J. Park, N. Yang, "Validation of Rejection Sensitivity Scale for College Students", THE KOREAN JOURNAL OF COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY, Vol.29, No.1, pp.103-127, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.23844/kjcp.2017.02.29.1.103 https://doi.org/10.23844/kjcp.2017.02.29.1.103
- S. R. Levy, O. Ayduk, G. Downey, The role of rejection sensitivity in people's relationships with significant others and valued social groups. p251-289. In M. R. Leary(Eds.), Interpersonal Rejection, Oxford University Press, 2001.
- S. K. An, Y. J. Chung, "The Effects of Rejection Sensitivity on Interpersonal Problems of University Students: The Mediating Effect of Ambivalence over Emotional Expressiveness", THE KOREAN JOURNAL OF COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY, Vol.28, No.3, pp.719-741, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.23844/kjcp.2016.08.28.3.719 https://doi.org/10.23844/kjcp.2016.08.28.3.719
- H. S. Kim, Y. S. Lee, "The Relationship of Rejection Sensitivity, Self-Encouragement, and Interpersonal Competence of Undergraduate Students", Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, Vol.18, No.3, pp.375-392, 2011.
- J. H. Heo, "The Effects of Negative Emotions on SWB in College Students : In the Mediation of Emotion Expression", Journal of Social Science, Vol.25, No.3, pp.225-244, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.16881/jss.2014.07.25.3.225
- Y. A. Lee, I. Yi, "The Relation Between Rejection Sensitivity and Social Anxiety in Male and Female Korean College Students: The Mediating Effects of Attentional Focusing and Moderating Effects of Attentional Shifting", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.21, No.3, pp.641-660, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2016.21.3.010 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2016.21.3.010
- J. D. Houghton, C. P. Neck, "The Revised Self-Leadership Questionnaire: Testing a hierarchical factor stucture for self-leadership", Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol.17, No.8, pp.672-691. 2002. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02683940210450484 https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940210450484
- E. Diener, R. A. Emmons, R. J. Larson, S. Griffin, "The satisfaction with life scale: A measure of global life satisfaction", Journal of Personality Assessment, Vol.49, No.1, pp.71-75, 1985. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- Y. J. Ryu. "Effect of personality and desire level on subjective well-being", Master's Thesis, Yonsei University. 1996.
- B. K. Kim, C. Y. Jyung, "The Casual Relationship among Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy, Self-Leadership, Problem Solving Ability, and Career Motivation", Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development, Vol.44, No.2, pp.49-71, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2012.44.2.49 https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2012.44.2.49
- K. H. Seo, W. S. Choi, S. B. Lee, "A Study on Differences among Self-leadership, Career Decision-making Self-efficacy and Career Maturity according to General Characteristics of Students Majoring in Cooking and Food Service", Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol.28, No.5, pp.367-391, 2016.
- J. M. Rhim, K. J. Oh, "Effects of Rejection Sensitivity on the Quality of Relationship : The Mediating Role of Hostile Behavior and Self-silencing", CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY IN KOREA: RESEARCH AND PRACTICE, Vol.2, No.2, pp.183-195, 2016.
- M. J. Lee, J. M. Lee, J. M. Lee, B. J. Choi, J. H. Chun, H. S. Sohn, "Influence of Female Undergraduates upon Sociality and College Life Satisfaction", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.12, No.8, pp.300-309, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.08.300 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.08.300
- Y. Y. Kwak, M. J. Chung, "The Effects of Child-Rearing Practices and College Students' Financial Independence on Their Psychological Well-Being and Self-Efficacy", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol.21, No.3, pp.121-141, 2010.
- D. Jang, "The Mediating Effects of Meaning in Life in the Relationship between Life Stress and Adjustment to College Life among College Students", Hanyang University, Unpublished master's thesis, 2015.
- H. J, Lee, "Differences in career openness, career exploration, and career identity by sex and level of social anxiety", Korean journal of educational research, Vol.46, No.1, 79-99, 2008.
- J. C. Lee, "Difference and Impact of University Students' Personal Characteristics on Self-Leadership, Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy, Career Preparation Behavior, and Employability", The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development, Vol.15, No.3, pp.215-245, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18211/kjhrdq.2013.15.3.009 https://doi.org/10.18211/kjhrdq.2013.15.3.009