- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
First Report of Red Thread of Kentucky Bluegrass (Poa pratensis L.) Caused by Laetisaria fuciformis on Golf Course in Korea
국내 골프코스의 켄터키블루그래스에 Laetisaria fuciformis에 의한 붉은뿔마름병(Red Thread) 발생보고
- Lee, Jung Han (Korea Turfgrass Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jeong Ho (Korea Turfgrass Research Institute) ;
- Shim, Gyu Yul (Korea Turfgrass Research Institute) ;
- Kwak, Youn-Sig (Institute of Agriculture & Life Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2018.08.14
- Accepted : 2018.09.11
- Published : 2018.09.30
In the middle of May 2018, typical red thread disease symptoms were observed on Kentucky bluegrass (Poa pratensis L.) on a golf course, which locates at Yangsan, Gyeongnam province in Korea. Irregular-shaped patched symptoms were observed in fairway of golf course. The foliar symptom was dried out and faded to straw color and tip of the grass leaves were tangled like thread. Early morning, infected and tangled leaves were covered with the pinkish gelatinous antler-like structure (sclerotinia) as a typical red thread disease symptom. Causal fungal pathogens were isolated from the symptom in Kentucky bluegrass. The fungal culture characteristic on potato dextrose agar color of colony was pale pink and conjugated hyphae, sclerotium of irregular shape was pale pink and 3~5mm diameter in size. The pathogen was identified as Laetisaria fuciformis based on morphological and culture characteristics as well as molecular characteristics. Pathogenicity test was verified on the Kentucky bluegrass by Koch's postulates. This is the first report of red thread disease occurrence in Kentucky bluegrass by L. fuciformis in Korea.
- Graham, J., Marshall, B. and Squire, G. 2003. Genetic differentiation over a spatial environmental gradient in wild Rubus idaeus populations. New Phytol. 157:667-675. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1469-8137.2003.00693.x
- Johnson, B. J. and Bowyer, T. H. 1982. Management of herbicide and fertility levels on weeds and Kentucky bluegrass. turf. Agron. Journal. 74:845-850.
- Kaplan, J.D. and Jackson, N. 1983. Red thread and pink patch disease of turf grasses. Plant Dis. 67:159-162. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-67-159
- Kumar, S., Tamura, K. and Tamura, K. 2016. MEGA7: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 7.0 for bigger datasets. Mol. Biol. Evol. 33(7):1870-1874. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msw054
- Lee, S.K. 2012. Irrigation frequency for Kentucky Bluegrass (Poa pratensis) growth. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 26(2):123-128.
- McAlpine, D. 1906. A new hymenomycete - the so called Isaria fuciformis. Annal. Mycol. 4:541-551.
- Meyer, W.A. and Funk, C.R. 1989. Progress and benefts to humanity from breeding cool-season grasses for turf. pp. 31-48. In: Sleeper, D.A., Asay, K.H. and Pedersen, J.F. (Eds.) Contributions from breeding forage and turf grasses. Crop Science Society of America Special Publication, Madison, WI, USA.
- Porceddu, A., Albertini, E., Barcaccia, G., Falistocco, E. and Falcinelli, M. 2002. Linkage mapping in apomictic and sexual Kentucky bluegrass (Poa pratensis L.) genotypes using a two way pseudo- testcross strategy based on AFLP and SAMPL markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 104:273-280. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001220100659
- Saitou, N. and Nei, M. 1987. The neighbor-joining method: A new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406-25.
- Smiley, R.W., Dernoeden, P.H. and Clarke, B.B. 2005. Compendium of turfgrass diseases, 3rd ed. APS press, MN, USA.
- Stalpers, J.A. and Loerakker, W.M. 1982. Laetisaria and Limonomyces species (Corticiaceae) causing pink diseases in turf grasses. Can. J. Bot. 60(5):529-537. https://doi.org/10.1139/b82-071
- Tamura, K., Dudley, J., Nei, M. and Kumar, S. 2007. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596-1599. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msm092
- Wakefeld, E.M. 1917. Notes on British thelephoraceae. Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc. 5:474-481.
- Weir, B.S., Johnston, P.R. and Damm, U. 2012. Colletotrichum gloeosporioides species complex. Stud. Mycol. 73:115-180. https://doi.org/10.3114/sim0011
- White, T.J., Bruns, T.D., Lee, S.B. and Taylor, J.W. 1990. Amplifcation and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics pp. 315-322. In: Innis, M.A., Gelfand,D.H. and Sninsky, J.J, (Eds.). PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications. N.Y: Academic Press, NY, USA.