- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Library Policies & Services for the Type of Information Inequality in Korea
정보불평등 대상별 도서관서비스 정책과 서비스 현황 진단
- Received : 2018.08.21
- Accepted : 2018.09.18
- Published : 2018.09.30
Information inequality has been differently conceptualized and defined in national laws. While the information inequality increases, library policy and informational service has lagged behind in meeting the needs of the society and the state. This paper aims to provide a preliminary research on information inequality, in terms of conceptualization, the legal base, terminology, index development based on the level of digital information. The paper also highlights cases on library services for solution of the difference. It compares library services designed for the disabled, ethnic minorities and the aged. The paper reviews the existing literature and project data. As a result, there are a number of processes and tasks that needs to be developed, including policy development, supporting organization, human capital, cooperating network, supporting facilities and service, and data.
Information Devide;Information Inequality;Information Poor
- Kang, Myung-Gu. 1995. "Information Inequality Structure and Information Welfare." Seminar Report of the Korean Association for Broading & Telecommunication, 1995(8): 123-127.
- Ministry of Science and ICT, National Information Society Agency. 2017. 2017 The Report on the Digital Divide. Gwacheon, Daegu: Ministry of Science and ICT, National Information Society Agency.
- Kim, Sung-Hae. 2007. "International Public Sphere and Democratic Information Order: Understanding 'New International Information Order' Debate in the Context of U. S. Hegemony." Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, 51(2): 82-104.
- Kim, Tae-Ryong. 2004. "The Effects of Information Inequality on Organization Effectiveness." Korean Republic Administration Review, 38(3): 23-47.
- Nam, Young-Joon. 2007. "A Study of Revitalization of Library Service for the Alienated Class." Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 41(4): 49-68.
- Park, Hae-Gwang. 2003. "New Trend of Digital Divide." Economy and Society, 59: 78-102.
- Seo, Hyung-Jun and Seng-Hwan Myeong. 2016. "An Analysis of the Domestic Research Trends on the Digital Divide" Journal of Korean Association of Regional Information Society, 19(4): 151-187.
- Yoon, Cheong-Ok, Dong-Chul Kwack, and Kyung Shim. 2012. "A Study on the Definitions and Characteristics of the Information Poor." Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 46(4): 189-206.
- Lee, Hyang-Soo, Seong-Hoon Lee, and Jeong-A Choi. 2016. "Redefining Digital Poverty: A Study on Target Changes of the Digital Divide Survey for Disabilities, Low- Income and Elders." Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(3): 1-12.
- Jung, Keun-Hwa. 1997. "A Study of the Anti-Social Inequality Policy in the Age of Information." Journal of Hanshin, 1997(10): 667-698.
- Jung, Sook-Kyung. 2003. "A Study on Internet Use of Married Women and Information Inequality by it." Journal of Korean Women's Studies, 19(2): 177-208.
- Cho, Joo-Eun. 2003. "The Effect of Disability on Information Accessibility." Korean Journal of Sociology, 37(6): 209-232.
- Jin, Sang-Ki. 2013. "Time Series Analysis of the Digital Divide in Korea." Journal of Korean Association for Regional Information Society, 16(3): 161-188.
- Choi, Heung-Suk, Sang-Hoe Koo, and Jeong-Jun Lee. 2003. "A Study on the Measurement Indicators of the Digital Divide." Korean Policy Sciences Review, 7(3): 150-177.
- Hwang, Seung-Youn and Young-Min Yoon. 1998. "The Structure and Process of the Digital Divide." Journal of Cybercommunication Academic Society, 3: 46-84.
- Bach, A. J, T. Wolfson and J. K. Crowell. 2018. "Poverty, Literacy, and Social Transform: An Interdisciplinary Exploration of the Digital Divide." Journal of Media Literacy Education, 10(1): 22-41.
- Chen, W. and B. Wellman. 2004. "The Global Digital Divide - Within and between Countries." IT&SOCIETY, 1(7): 18-25.
- Childers, Thomas and Joyce Post. 1975. The Information Poor in America, Metuchen. NJ: Scarecrow.
- Martin, S. P. 2003. "Is the Digital Divide Really Closing? A Critique of Inequality Measurement in A Nation Online." IT&SOCIETY, 1(4): 1-13.