- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influence of Project-Based Learning in LIS on Self-Directed Learning and Problem Solving Ability
문헌정보학의 프로젝트기반 학습이 자기주도적 학습과 문제해결능력에 미치는 영향
- 이명희 (상명대학교 인문사회과학대학 문헌정보학과)
- Received : 2018.08.14
- Accepted : 2018.09.19
- Published : 2018.09.30
This study investigates the influence of project-based learning method on the self-directed learning and problem-solving abilities of students taking the 'Media Center Management' course in Library Information Science (LIS). During this study, two tests measuring students' self-directed learning and problem-solving abilities were conducted, containing 48 items divided into 8 categories and 30 items divided into 5 steps of problem-solving processes, respectively. By utilizing the correspondence sample T-test during this study, statistically significant results were found in all categories of self-directed learning, excluding the 'self-understanding' category. In addition, significant differences were found in the 5 steps problem-solving processes as well. Subsequently, an in-depth interview was conducted, inquiring into the students' perspectives on the difficulty of attending classes, the content of lectures, the appropriateness of assignments, the validity of the evaluation method, the relationship with their team members, and the benefits acquired from completing the assignments. Finally, suggestions for future research were presented.
Problem-Based Learning;Self-Directed Learning;Problem Solving Ability;Course Development;LIS Teaching Method
Supported by : 상명대학교
- Kang, Myunghee and Seonghye Yoon. 2015. "The Predictive Power of Self-efficacy, Trust and Knowledge Sharing Intention on the Knowledge Sharing Behavior of Team Project Learning." Korean Journal of the Learning Sciences, 9(3): 22-46.
- Kang, Ji Hei. 2017. "A Study on the Application of PBL in Library and Information Science I: Course Developing and Analysis of Self-Reflective Journals." Journal of the Korean Biblia Society for Library and Information Science, 28(4): 321-340.
- Kim, Sung Kyung. 2014. "The Effects of PBL on Self-Directed Learning and Critical Thinking of University Students of Post-Adolescence in Social Work Curricula." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 21(11): 223-245.
- Kim, Anna and Byung-Shik Rhee. 2003. "An Analytic Study of Identifying Personal and Institutional Influences on the Perceived Development of Core Competencies of College Students." The Journal of Korean Education, 30(1): 367-392.
- Kim, Eunjin. 2018. "Qualitative Research on the Improvement Effects of Self-Directed Learning and Creative Problem Solving Abilities through Project-Based Learning of Graduate Students in Education." Journal of Korean Association for Educational Information and Media, 24(1): 53-78.
- Kim, Chija, Kyung Sung Kim, Kwi Ok Yoo, and Gil Han Yoo. 1996. "A Study on Development of Self-Directed Learning Readiness Scale for Primary School Teachers and its Applications." Journal of Lifelong Education, 2(1): 1-25.
- Kim, Hyunjung. 2017. "The Effects of Project-Based Learning on Self-Efficacy for Group Work in LIS Education: a Cast Study." Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 51(2): 95-116.
- Bae, Jeong Hee. 2002. The Effect of Interaction Type s on the Self-Directed Learning Ability in the Problem-Solving Learning. M.A. thesis, Graduate School of Education, Sogang University.
- Baek, Pyoung Gu. 2013. "A Study on the Relationships and Characteristics between Korean Collegiate Essential Skills and Undergraduates' Individual Variant Factors." Korean Journal of General Education, 7(3): 349-387.
- Song, Ujun and Kisoo Jung. 2017. "The Effect of College Student's Self-Directed Learning Ability on Problem-Solving Ability: Focusing on the Mediation Effect of Self-efficacy." Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 24(12): 219-243. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2017.12.24.12.219
- Shin, Hee Sun. 2011. "The Case Studies about Communication Education, Applying Problem- Based Learning." The Journal of Korean Educational Forum, 10(3): 137-169.
- Sim, Mi-Jung and Hyo-Sook Oh. 2012. "Influence of Self Efficacy, Learning Motivation, and Self-Directed Learning on Problem-Solving Ability in Nursing Students." Journal of the Korea Contents Society, 12(6): 328-337. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.328
- Yu, Hyun Sook et al. 2002. The Research on the National Standards of Life Skill and Quality Management for Learning System. Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute. RR 2002-19.
- Rhee, Byung Shik and Jeung Yun Choi. 2008. "Analyzing influences on the Perceived Development of Core Competencies of College Students: A Multilevel Approach." The Journal of Korean Education, 35(2): 243-266.
- Lee, Suk-Jae et al. 2003. A Study on the Development of Life-Skills: Communication, Problem Solving, and Self-Directed Learning. Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute. RR 2003-15-03.
- Lee, Seung Hee. 2013. "A Case Study on Enhancing the Proficiency of Vocational Core Competencies for College Students with Project-based Learning." The Journal of Vocational Education Research, 32(4): 79-92.
- Lee, Woo Sook, Sun Hwan Park, and Eun Young Choi. 2008. "Development of a Korean Problem Solving Process Inventory for Adults." The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 15(4): 548-557.
- Lee, Jeong-Mi. 2013. "The Effects of Problem-Based Learning on Self-Regulated Learning Ability in LIS Education: Based on Cognitive and Motivational Components." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 47(4): 103-124.
- Lim, Cheol-Il. 2008. "Major Characteristics of the Educational System in the Large Corporations and their Policy Implications for Human Resources Development." Journal of Corporate Education, 10(1): 139-160.
- Jung, Jong-Kee. 2010. "A Study on the Development & Application of Project-Based Learning Program for Promoting the Pre-Education Librarians' Self-Efficacy in Education Services." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 44(2): 221-239.
- Cho, Miah. 2014. "A Case Study of Collaborative Classes between a Teacher Librarian and a Chinese Language Teacher Applying Problem-based Learning: With a Main Focus on Students' Degree of Interest in Learning at S High School." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 48(2): 65-88.
- Jin, Misug, Yumi Sohn, and Huijung Chu. 2011. "Study on Development Plan of K-CESA for College Education Assessment." The Journal of Educational Administration, 29(4): 461-486.
- Han, Seung-Hee. 2008. "The Effects of the Project-Based Learning on LIS Education: Focused on Students' Problem-Solving and Self-Directed Learning Ability." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 42(3): 81-101.
- Hong, Ki-Chil. 2009. "The Effects of Problem-based Learning by Learner's Self-Directed Learning Ability Level." The Korean Journal of Thinking & Problem Solving, 5(2): 25-48.
- Guglielmino, L. M. 1977. Development of the Self-Directed Learning Readiness Scale. Ph. D. Diss., University of Georgia.
- Hines, E. and S. Hines. 2012. "Faculty and Librarian Collaboration on Problem-Based Learning." Journal of Library Innovation, 3(2): 18-32.
- Walther, J. H. 2016. "Teaching Ethical Dilemmas in LIS Coursework." Bottom Line: Managing Library Finances, 29(3): 180-190. https://doi.org/10.1108/BL-05-2016-0020