- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Surface wave propagation in an initially stressed heterogeneous medium having a sandy layer and a point source
- Manna, Santanu (Discipline of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology Indore) ;
- Misra, J.C. (Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology Shibpur) ;
- Kundu, Santimoy (Department of Applied Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology (ISM)) ;
- Gupta, Shishir (Department of Applied Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology (ISM))
- Received : 2017.03.04
- Accepted : 2018.05.23
- Published : 2018.10.10
An attempt has been made here to study the propagation of SH-type surface waves in an elastic medium, which is initially stressed and heterogeneous and has a point source inside the medium. The upper portion of the composite medium is a sandy layer. It is situated on an initially stressed heterogeneous half-space, whose density, rigidity and internal friction are function of depth. The analysis has been carried out by using Fourier transform and Green's function approach. The phase velocity has been investigated for several particular situations. It has been shown that the results of the study agree with those the case of Love wave propagation in a homogeneous medium in the absence of the sandy layer, when the initial stress is absent. In order to illustrate the validity of the analysis presented here, the derived analytical expression has been computed numerically, by considering an illustrative example and the variances of the concerned physical variables have been presented graphically. It is observed that the velocity of shear wave is amply influenced by the initial stress and heterogeneity parameters and the presence of the sandy layer. The study has an important bearing on investigations of different problems in the earth's interior and also in seismological studies.
surface wave;green function;dispersion equation;phase velocity;heterogeneity
Supported by : Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
- Abo-Dahab, S.M., Abd-Alla, A.M. and Khan, A. (2016) "Rotational effect on Rayleigh, Love and Stoneley waves in non-homogeneous fibre-reinforced anisotropic general viscoelastic media of higher order", Struct. Eng. Mech., 58(1), 181-197. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.58.1.181
- Biot, M.A. (1956), Mechanics of Incremental Deformation, Wiley, New York, U.S.A.
- Chakraborty, S.K. and Chandra, A. (1984), "Reflection and refraction of plane SH-waves at the boundary of dry sandy layer and anisotropic elastic medium", Acta Geophys. Polonica, 32(1), 69-79.
- Chattopadhyay, A. and Kar, B.K. (1981), "Love waves due to a point source in an isotropic elastic medium under initial stress", J. Non-Linear Mech., 16(3), 247-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7462(81)90038-X
- Chattopadhyay, A. and Pal, A.K. (1984), "Dispersion curves of Love waves from a point source in heterogeneous medium", Acta Geophys. Pol., 32(3), 323-332.
- Chattopadhyay, A., Gupta, S., Kumari, P. and Sharma, V.K. (2012), "Effect of point source and heterogeneity on the propagation of SH-waves in a viscoelastic layer over a viscoelastic half space", Acta Geophys., 60(1), 119-139. https://doi.org/10.2478/s11600-011-0059-4
- Chattopadhyay, A., Gupta, S., Sharma, V.K. and Kumari, P. (2010), "Effect of point source and heterogeneity on the propagation of SH-waves", J. Appl. Math Mech., 6(9), 76-89.
- Daros, C.H. (2013), "Green's function for SH-waves in inhomogeneous anisotropic elastic solid with power-function velocity variation", Wave Motion, 50(2), 101-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wavemoti.2012.07.004
- Ewing, W.M., Jardetzky, W.S. and Press, F. (1957), Elastic waves in Layered Media, McGraw-Hill, New York, U.S.A.
- Ghorai, A.P., Samal, S.K. and Mahanti, N.C. (2010), "Love waves in a fluid-saturated porous layer under a rigid boundary and lying over an elastic half-space under gravity", Appl. Math. Model., 34(7), 1873-1883. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2009.10.004
- Ghosh, M.L. (1970), "Love waves due to a point source in an inhomogeneous medium", Gerl. Beit. Zur Geophys., 79, 129-141.
- Gubbins, D. (1990), Seismology and Plate Tectonics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- Kakar, R. and Kakar, S. (2016), "Dispersion of shear wave in a pre-stressed heterogeneous orthotropic layer over a pre-stressed anisotropic porous half-space with self-weight", Struct. Eng. Mech., 59(6), 951-972. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.59.6.951
- Kar, B.K., Pal, A.K. and Kalyani, V.K. (1986), "Propagation of Love waves in an irregular dry sandy layer", Acta Geophys. Pol., 34(2), 157-170.
- Kochengin, S.A. (1997), "A point source of Sh wave in a medium with vertical boundary in the case where the velocity of wave propagation is a smoothly increasing function of depth", J. Math. Sci., 86(3), 2685-2693. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02355159
- Kumar, K.V., Saravanan, T.J., Sreekala, R., Gopalakrishnan, N. and Mini, K.M. (2017), "Structural damage detection through longitudinal wave propagation using spectral finite element method", Geomech. Eng., 12(1), 161-183. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2017.12.1.161
- Kundu, S., Gupta, S. and Manna, S. (2014), "SH-type waves dispersion in an isotropic medium sandwiched between an initially stressed orthotropic and heterogeneous semi-infinite media", Meccanica, 49(3), 749-758. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-013-9825-5
- Kundu, S., Gupta, S., Vaishnav, P.K. and Manna, S. (2016), "Propagation of Love waves in a heterogeneous medium over an inhomogeneous half-space under the effect of point source", J. Vib. Control, 22(5), 1380-1391. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546314534869
- Kundu, S., Manna, S. and Gupta, S. (2014), "Love wave dispersion in pre-stressed homogeneous medium over a porous half-space with irregular boundary surfaces", J. Solids Struct., 51(21-22), 3689-3697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2014.07.002
- Li, X. and Tao, M. (2015), "The influence of initial stress on wave propagation and dynamic elastic coefficients", Geomech. Eng., 8(3), 377-390. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.3.377
- Manna, S., Kundu, S. and Gupta, S. (2016), "Effect of reinforcement and inhomogeneity on the propagation of Love waves", J. Geomech., 16(2), 04105045.
- Manna, S., Kundu, S. and Misra, J.C. (2018), "Theoretical analysis of torsional wave propagation in a heterogeneous aeolotropic Stratum over a voigt-type viscoelastic half-space", J. Geomech., 18(6), 0401850.
- Misra, J.C. and Chakravarty, S. (1982), "A free-vibration analysis for the human cranial system", J. Biomech., 15(9), 635-645. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(82)90018-5
- Misra, J.C. and Roychoudhury, K. (1983), "Effect of initial stresses on wave propagation in arteries", J. Math. Biol., 18(1), 53-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00275910
- Misra, J.C. and Samanta, S.C. (1982), "Thermal shock in a viscoelastic half-space", J. Therm. Stresses, 5(3-4), 365-375. https://doi.org/10.1080/01495738208942156
- Mogi, K. (1962), "Magnitude-frequency relationship for elastic shocks accompanying fractures of various materials and some related problems in earthquakes", Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst. Univ., 40, 831-883.
- Nagesh, M. and Hayek, S.I. (1981), "Diffraction of a point source by two impedance covered half-planes", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 69(3), 629-637. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.385579
- Negin, M. (2015), "Generalized Rayleigh wave propagation in a covered half-space with liquid upper layer", Struct. Eng. Mech., 56(3), 491-506. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.56.3.491
- Pal, P.C. and Mandal, D. (2014), "Generation of SH-type waves due to shearing stress discontinuity in a sandy layer overlying an isotropic and inhomogeneous elastic half-space", Acta Geophys., 62(1), 44-58. https://doi.org/10.2478/s11600-013-0163-8
- Singh, A.K., Das, A., Mistri, K.C. and Chattopadhyay, A. (2017), "Green's function approach to study the propagation of SHwave in piezoelectric layer influenced by a point source", Math. Meth. Appl. Sci., 40(13), 4771-4784. https://doi.org/10.1002/mma.4343
- Tao, M., Chen, Z., Li, X., Zhao, H. and Yin, T. (2016), "Theoretical and numerical analysis of the influence of initial stress gradient on wave propagations", Geomech. Eng., 10(3), 285-296. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2016.10.3.285
- Thomasson, S.I. (1976), "Reflection of waves from a point source by an impedance boundary", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 59(4), 780-785. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.380943
- Tokhi, H., Ren G. and Li, J. (2015), "An application of wave equation analysis program to pile dynamic formulae", Geomech. Eng., 9(3), 345-360. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.9.3.345
- Tomar, S.K. and Kaur, J. (2007), "SH-waves at a corrugated interface between a dry sandy half-space and an anisotropic elastic half-space", Acta Mechanica, 190(1-4), 1-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-006-0423-7
- Watanabe, K. and Payton, R.G. (2002), "Green's function for SHwaves in a cylindrically monoclinic material", J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 50(11), 2425-2439. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5096(02)00026-1