- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Emotional Happiness on Aging Preparation
- Jung, Hae-ok (Hotel Culinary Department, Chodang University) ;
- Kim, Jung-ae (Nursing Department, Chodang University)
- Received : 2018.07.30
- Accepted : 2018.08.20
- Published : 2018.09.30
This study was a cross-sectional descriptive study of the effects of emotional happiness on aging preparation for 45-60 year olds. Participants of this study were 312 volunteers and data was collected online, the collection period was from May 15, 2018 to May 31, 2018. The tools used in the research were the emotional happiness developed by Watson et al (1988) et al., the aging preparation developed by JH Lee (2009). Analysis was done using t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation, and regression by SPSS 18.0. As a result of the analysis, 84.0% of participants felt physically healthy and 89.8% felt mental health. The spouses of participants were physically 83.4% healthy and mentally 82.7% healthy. The correlation between emotional happiness, health cognition and aging preparation showed that physical health had a correlation with mental health (r = .482, p <0.01) and emotional happiness (r = .369, p <0.01), economic aging preparation (r = .411, p <0.01), social aging preparation (r = .119, p <0.01). Mental health was correlated with emotional happiness (r = .491, p <0.01), economic aging preparation (r = .411, p <0.01) and social aging preparation. Difference between emotional happiness and retirement preparation according to presence or absence of disease, emotional happiness (t = -4.503, p <0.01) and economic aging preparation (t = -4.960, p <0.01) were statistically significant. Emotional happiness affects the preparation of old age, emotional happiness affects to physical aging preparation under statistical significance (F=25.191, p<0.01), economic aging preparation (F=1131.783, p<0.01), and social aging preparation (F=147.672, p<0.01) which were sub components of aging preparation. Emotional happiness showed a 7.5% effect on the preparation of physical aging, 78.4% on economic aging preparation and 32.3% on social aging preparation. Based on the above results, it can be concluded that physical health and mental health are related to emotional happiness, economic aging preparation, and social aging preparation. And also these results can be inferred that the illness causes emotional less feeling of happiness and economic difficulty. Based on the results of this study, emotional well - being influences the retirement preparation significantly at statistical significance. Therefore, if the concept of emotional happiness is introduced to the old-age preparation program, it will be more client centered program.
- Korean Statistical Information Service, 2015.
- E. Helmes, J. Brown, Does Exercise in older Adults Predict problem Solving? The Role of Personality, Advances in Aging Research, 5(2), 2016.
- Alfredo Granani, Sarita Mac Cornick, Veronica Chominski, Samuel Marcis Ribeiro de Noronha, Silvana Aparecida Alves Correa de Noronha, Lydia Masako Ferreira, Review of Major Theories of Skin Aging, Advances in Aging Research, 3(4), 2014.
- Rolando C. Esteban, Thinking about Aging: Experience, Identity and Meaning among an Elderly Population in the Philippines, Advances in Aging Research 4(5) 2015.
- Maria de los Angeles Aguilera, Jose de Jesus Perez, Diemen Delgado, Monica Contreras, Martin Acosta, Blanca Elizabeth Pozos, Educational Preparation of Older Adults and Their Families for Retirement, Advances in Applied Sociology, 3(6), 2013.
- Jordi Fernandez-Castro, Joaquín T. Limonero, Maria Pau Gonzalez-Olmedo, Rosa Serrano, Victoria Lopez, Tatiana Rovira, Early Retirement Intention in Workers from the Industry and Service Sectors: Influence of the Perception of Benefits from Retiring or from Continuing to Work, Open Journal of Social Sciences, 3(4), 2015.
- SM Yang, SJ Hong, The Later Preparation and Its Related Variables in the Middle' Rural Women, Journal of Korea Home Economics Association, 20(6), 2002.
- MJ Bae, Perception of Preparation for their old age and Successful Aging by degree of facts on Aging among adults, Senior Welfare,58, 2012.
- HJ Kim, The effects of Middle Aged recognition towards Later life on preparation behavior for their old age and moderate effect of knowledge about policy for olderly people, Korean Social Welfare Survey, 32, 2012.
- Monica E. Liubicich, Daniele Magistro, Filippo Candela, Emanuela Rabaglietti, Silvia Ciairano, Physical Activity and Mobility Function in Elderly People Living in Residential Care Facilities. "Act on Aging": A Pilot Study, Advances in Physical Education, 2(2), 2012.
- Hiroe Sugimoto, Shinichi Demura, Yoshinori Nagasawa, Age and Gender-Related Differences in Physical Functions of the Elderly Following One-Year Regular Exercise Therapy, Health, 6(8), 2014.
- Abia Elisabeth Achancho, An Assessment of Pension Insurance on the Socio-Economic Life of the Retired Population in Buea-Cameroon, Open Journal of Social Sciences, 4(4), 2016.
- Michael Herrmann, The Economic Challenges of Population Aging in Emerging Markets, Modern Economy, 5(2), 2014.
- Aguilera Velasco Maria de los Angeles, Maria de Lourdes Marrero Santos, Martin Acosta Fernan dez, Teresa Margarita Torres Lopez, Strategies of Awareness of the Retirement in Employees of a Mexican Company, Open Journal of Social Sciences, 6(6), 2018.
- Kajko-Mattson Mira, Anna Hauzenberger, Ralf Fredriksson, Eliciting Theory about a Retirement Process, Journal of Software Engineering and Applications, 1(1), 2008.
- Diener, E., Sapyta, J. J., & Suh, E. Subjective well-being is essential to well-being. Psychological Inquiry, 9, 33-37, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327965pli0901_3
- JH Lee, Gwangju Jeonnam Middle-aged Age, Recognition of the Elderly and Physical, Economic and Social Retirement Preparation, Journal of the Korean Society of Community Life, 20 (2), 275-289, 2009.
- Watson D., Clark, I. S., & Tellegan. A. Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: The PANAS scales, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54(6), 1063-1070, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Seligman, M. E. P., & Csikszentmihalyi, Positive Emotions, Resilience and Psychosomatic Heath: Focus on Hellenic Army NCO Cadets. American Psychologist, 55, 5-14, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.5
- Yaoyao Wei, Yian Xie, Yuxiang Hong, Study of Quantitative model for Maslow's View of Humanity Happiness, Open Journal of Social Sciences, 4(4), 2016.
- Veenhoven, R, Question on Happiness, Classical Topics, Perhamon Publishing corporation, 1991.