- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics and Critical Thinking Disposition on Attitude toward Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment among Nursing Students
간호대학생의 생명의료윤리의식, 비판적 사고성향이 연명치료중단에 대한 태도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2018.06.22
- Accepted : 2018.09.20
- Published : 2018.09.28
This research was a descriptive study to investigate the effects of nursing students' biomedical ethics, and critical thinking on attitudes toward withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment. The Participant were 367 nursing students and date were collected from November until December of 2017. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation, and multiple regression with SPSS/WIN 21.0. There was a significant positive correlation between attitudes toward withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment. Also, the influencing factor on attitudes toward withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment were biomedical ethics, academic grade, subjective health status, and personality types. These factors explained 36.6% of variance. In conclusion, the higher the awareness of biomedical ethics, the more positive attitude toward the withdrawal of lifelong treatment. Based on the results above, we need to develop diverse and systematic educational programs for nursing students.
Biomedical ethics;Critical thinking;Life-sustaining treatment;Attitude;Nursing student
- Statistics Korea. (2018). 2017 Statistics of Birth․Death. http://www.kostat.go.kr
- Y. J. Lee, G. H. Jo & H. J. Lee. (2005). Effects of Significant Other's Death on High-Touch Major Students, Journal of Youth Counseling, 13(1), 113-124.
- K. H. Jo. (2010). A Meaning of Death Through Emotional Expression about Death After Nursing and Medical Students' End-of-Life Care Practice, Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 22(3), 329-341.
- J. L. Mallory. (2003). The Impact of A Palliative Care Educational Component on Attitudes Toward Care of The Dying in Undergraduate Nursing Students, Journal of Professional Nursing, 19(5), 305-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8755-7223(03)00094-2
- G. E. Watkinson. (1995). A Study of The Perception and Experiences of Critical Nurses in Caring for Potential and Actual Organ Donor: Implications for Nurse Education, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 22(5), 929-940. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1995.tb02645.x
- H. K. Lee, & H. S. Kang. (2010). Attitudes and Awareness Towards the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment among Nurses, Physicians, and Families of Intensive Care Unit Patients, Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 16(3), 85-98.
- Y. H. Kim, Y. S. Yoo & O. H. Cho. (2013). Nursing Students' Awareness of Biomedical Ethics and Attitudes Toward Death of Terminal Patients, Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, 16(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.1.001
- G. M. Kim, K. S. Sung & E. J. Kim. (2017). Awareness of Nursing Students' Biomedical Ethics and Attitudes toward Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment, Child Health Nursing Research, 23(3), 292-299. DOI: 10.4094/chnr.2017.23.3.292 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.3.292
- O. S. Lee & E. J. Kim. (2018). Mediating Effect of Nursing Professionalism on the Relationship between Critical Thinking Disposition and Consciousness of Bioethics in Nursing Students, Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(4), 251-258. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.251 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.251
- Y. S, Kim, J. M. Kim & M. M. Park. (2015). Factors Influencing Competency in Evidence- Based Practice among Clinical Nurses, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 21(2), 143-153. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.143 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.143
- J. Yoon. (2004). Development of an Instrument for The Measurement of Critical Thinking Disposition in Nursing. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University, Seoul.
- M. H. Lim & C. S. Park. (2014). Factors Affecting the Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics of Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 15(7), 4423-4431. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4423 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4423
- K. Y. Kim & E. J. Lee. (2016). The Relationship among Critical Thinking Disposition, Nursing Process Competency and Evidence-Based Practice Competency in Nurses Working in Hospitals, Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 27(2), 451-461. DOI: 10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.2.451 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.2.451
- D. S. Jeon & D. S. Ahn. (2017). Teaching Medical Ethics and Professionalism Based on Critical Thinking and Writing, Sungkyunkwan University Institute for the Humanities, 69, 157-193.
- Y. R. Chong & Y. H. Lee. (2017). Affecting A Actors of The Awareness of Biomedical Ethics in Nnursing Students, Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 23(4), 389-397. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.4.389 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.4.389
- E. J. Choi & H. S. Jeong. (2018). The Effect of Nursing Students' Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics, Good Death Recognition, and Self- Esteem on The Attitude toward Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 19(5), 275-284. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.275 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.275
- E. Y. Kim, E. H. Seo & E. Y. Jung. (2017). Knowledge and Attitudes Toward the Withdr -awal of Life-Sustaining Treatment Among Nursing Students, Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 23(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.14370/jewnr.2017.23.1.1 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2017.23.1.1
- I. S. Kim. (2013). Effects of Bioethics Education on The Consciousness of Bioethics of Freshman Nursing and Health Students, Journal of Korean Bioethics Association, 14(1), 1-13.
- J. N. Oh. (2010). Original Articles: Review of Literature and Implication for Nursing Education: Cinemeducation, Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(2), 194-201. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.194
- Y. S. Lee (1990). A Study of The Ethical Values of Korean Nurses, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 20(2), 249-270.
- S. J. Kwon. (2003). A Study on Consciousness of Bioethics of The Nursing Sstudents and Medical Students, Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu Keimyung University, Gyeongbuk.
- G. S. Park. (2000). Sense Researches of Medical Agent over Euthanasia of Patients who Can't Resuscitate: Q-methodological Approach. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Chunan
- E. K. Byun., .H. R. Choi. A. L. Choi. K. H. Hong, N. M. Kim & H. S. Kim. (2003). An Investigative Research on The Attitudes of Intensive Care Unit Nurses and Families on Terminating Life Support. Clinical Nursing Research 9(1), 112-124.
- C. Y. Chang & Y. S. Kim. (2011). Attitude Toward Forgoing Life-Sustaining Treatment among Cancer Patient Families, Mental Health and Social Work, 38, 5-30.
- E. J. Yeun, Y. P. Hong & J. H. An. (2016). Attitudes Toward Life Sustaining Treatment (LST) of Health Professionals and General Public: A Coorientational Look, Korean Society for Wellness, 11(2), 1-14.
- S. O. Oh. (2011). Knowledge and Informed Consent of Sustaining Treatment Interruption among Nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- E. H. Lee. (2016). Relationship between Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics and Nursing Professional Values in Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Clinical Health Science, 4(1), 522-531. DOI: 10.15205/kschs.2016.4.1.522 https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2016.4.1.522
- J. H. We, B. H. Chang & M. H. Lim. (2017). The Relationship of the Empathy and Biomedical Ethics Awareness with University Student, The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 17(4), 500-509. DOI: 10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.04.500 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.04.500
- J. H. Sook. (2011). Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics in Nursing Students and Non-Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(3), 401-410.
- H. Y. Jung & K. I. Jung. (2012). A Study on the Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics of Freshmen Nursing Students, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 6(4), 37-48. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.4.037
- M. H. Lim. (2016). Effects of Character, Critical Thinking Disposition and Professional Self- Concept on College Aadjustment in Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia -Industrial cooperation Society, 17(8), 560-568. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.560 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.560
- M. L. Li, Y. J. Chae & Y. M. Ha. (2018). Relationships between Use of Information Resources, Critical Thinking Disposition, and Nursing Information Literacy Competency in Nursing Students, Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(5), 247-255. DOI: 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.5.247 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.5.247
- O. S. Lee & Y. G. Noh. (2017). The Relationship among Emotional Intelligence, Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-Concept and Problem Solving Skills for Nursing Students, Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(12), 349-358. DOI: 10.144../JDC.2017.15.12.349 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.12.349
- G. S. Jeong. (2013). The Effect of Gender, Ethical Values and Characteristics of Biomedical Ethics on the Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics on Nursing Students in One Nursing College, Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(11), 5672- 5681. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5672 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5672
- J. Y. Ha, D. H. Kim & S. K. Hwang. (2009). The Perception of Biomedical Ethics in Nurses, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15(2), 216-224. DOI: 10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.216 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.216
- M. S. Yoo & K. C. Shon. (2012). Effects of Nursing Ethics Education on Biomedical Ethics Awareness, Moral Sensitivity and Moral Judgment of Nursing Students, Journal Korean Bioethics Association, 12(2), 61-76.
- S. Y. Kim. (2014). Effects of Biomedical Ethics Education Using Movies on Biomedical Ethics Awareness of Nursing Students, The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 14(7), 281-290. DOI: 10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.281 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.281
- E. J. Choi & H. S. Jeong. (2018). The Effect of Nursing Students' Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics, Good Death Recognition, and Self-Esteem on the Attitude Toward Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 19(5), 275-284. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.275 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2018.19.5.275
Supported by : Gwangju University