- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Shame and Aggression: The Mediating Effect of the Emotion Dysregulation
수치심과 공격성간의 관계: 정서조절곤란의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Goh, Jinkyung (Department of Counselinf Psychology, Soosil Cyber University)
- 고진경 (숭실사이버대학교 상담심리학과)
- Received : 2018.08.17
- Accepted : 2018.09.20
- Published : 2018.09.28
This study aimed to examine the mediating effects of emotion dysregulation on the relationships between shame and aggression. All data was measured on Experience of Shame Scale, Aggression Questionnaire, and Difficulties in Emotional Regulation Scale. Total 287 responses were analysed. The findings of this study were as follows. Shame affected not only directly aggression but also influenced through emotion dysregulation. Impuse control difficulties and nonacceptances of emotional responses showed the significant partial mediation effects. The results showed the necessity of adaptive emotional regulation in dealing with aggression elicited by shame.
- M. Lewis, S. M. Alessandri & M. W. Sullivan. (1992). Differences in shame and pride as a function of children's gender and task difficulty. Child Development, 63(3), 630-638. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131351
- M. Lewis. (2003). The Role of the Self in Shame. Social Research, 70(4), 1181-1204.
- J. P. Tangney, P. E. Wagner, D. Hill-Barlow, D. E. Marschall & R. Gramzow. (1996). Relation to shame and guilt to constructive versus destructive responses to anger across the lifespan. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70(1), 797-809. DOI: 10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2067. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117
- J. P. Tangney, P. E. Wagner, C. Fletcher & R. Gramzow. (1992). Shamed into anger? The relation of shame and guilt to anger and self-reported aggression. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 62(4), 669-675. DOI: 10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249
- S. Y. Han. (2007). Moral Emotion and Aggression among Early Adolescence-Forcusing on Guilt, Shame and Empathy. Family and Environment Research, 45(7), 17-33.
- J. E. Cha, J. Y. Lee, S. H. Hwang. (2009). The Mediating Effects of Shame and Fear of Abandonment on Adolescents' Depression and Aggression: Comparison of Boy and Girl Students Modell. Journal of Youth Facility & Environment, 7(2), 3-15.
- J. Elison, C. Garofalo, & P. Velotti. (2006). Shame and aggression: Theoretical consideration. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 19, 447-453.
- S. Y. Han. (2010). Communication with Parents, Self-esteem and Shame and their Relationship to Aggression in Bully and Bully-Victim Groups. The Korean Journal of the Human Development, 17(1), 125-143.
- N. Garnefski, V. Kraaij & P. Spinhoven. (2001). Negative life events, cognitive emotion regulation and emotional problems. Personality and Individual Differences, 30(80), 1311-1327. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00113-6
- W. W. van Dijk, L. F. van Dillen, M. Rotteveel & E. C. Seip. (2017). Looking into the crystal ball of our emotional lives: emotion regulation and the overestimation of future guilt and shame. Cognition and Emotion, 31(3), 616-624. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699931.2015.1129313
- J. Elison, S. Pulos & R. Lemon .(2006). Shame-focused coping: An empirical study of the compass of shame. Social Behavior and Personality, 34, 161-168. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2006.34.2.161
- P. Velotti, J. Elison & C. Garofalo. (2014). Shame and aggression: Different trajectories and implications. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 19, 454-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2014.04.011
- T. Roberton, M. Daffern & R. S. Bucks. (2012). Emotion regulation and aggression. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 17, 72-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2011.09.006
- S. Roos and C. Salmivalli. (2015). Emotion Regulation and Negative Emotionality Moderate the Effects of Moral (Dis)Engagement on Aggression. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 61(1), 30-50. https://doi.org/10.13110/merrpalmquar1982.61.1.0030
- N. Eisenberg. (2000). Emotion regulation and moral development. Annual Review of Psychology, 51(1), 665-697. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.51.1.665
- N. Eisenberg, R. A. Fabes, B. Murphy, P. Maszk, M. Smith & M. Karbon. (1995). The role of emotionality and regulation in children's social functioning: A ongitudinal study. Child Development, 66 (5), 1360-1384. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131652
- E. Han .(2005). Emotion Regulation as a Predictor of Aggression and Peer Relationships in School-Age Children. Korean Journal of Child Studies. 26(4), 85-100.
- J. Shin, S. Kim, M. Y. Jeon, D. H. Park, & J. H. Ha. (2015). A Validation Study of Korean Version of the Experience of Shame Scale(K-ESS). The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 27(1), 23-39.
- S. G Seo &. S. M. Kwon. (2002). Validation study of Korean version of th Aggression Questionnaire. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 21(2), 487-501.
- Y. Cho. (2007). Assessing Emotion Dysregulation: Psychometirc Properties of the Korean Version of the Difficulties in Emotion Regulation Scale. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 26(4), 1015-1038. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2007.26.4.012
- A. F. Hayes. (2013). Introduction to mediation, moderation and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- M. K. Underwood. (2003). Social aggression among girls. New York. NY: Guilford Press.
- L. D. Crocker, M. Haller, S. Norman, A. C. Angkaw. (2016). Shames versus trauma-related guilt as mediators of the relationship between PTSD Symptoms and aggression among returning Veterans. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice and Policy, 8(4), 520-527. https://doi.org/10.1037/tra0000151
- M. Peled & M. M. Moretti .(2007). Rumination on anger and sadness in adolescence: Fueling of fury and deeping of despair. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 36(1), 66-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374410709336569
- C. Garofalo & P. Velotti. (2017). Negative emotionality and aggression in violent offenders: The moderating role of emotion dysregulation. Journal of Criminal Justice, 51, 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrimjus.2017.05.015
- A. M. Cohn, M. Jakupcak, L. A. Seibert, T. B. Hildebrandt & A. Zeichner. (2010). The role of emotion dysregulation in the association between men's restrictive emotionality and use of physical aggression. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 11(1), 52-64.
- P. Velotti, C. Garofalo, F. Bottazzi & V. Carett. (2017). Faces of Shame: Implications for Self-Esteem Emotion Regulation, Aggression and Well-Being. The Journal of Psychology, 151(2), 171-184.. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.2016.1248809
- R. Chambers, E. Gullone & N. B. Allen. (2009). Mindful emotion regulation: An integrative review. Clinical Psychology Review, 29(6), 560-572. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2009.06.005
- J. M. Sundermann, A, T. Chu & A. P. Deprince. (2013). Cumulative Violence Exposure, Emotional Nonacceptance, and Mental Health Symptoms in a Community Sample of Women. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation, 14, 69-83, DOI: 10.1080/15299732.2012.710186. https://doi.org/10.1080/15299732.2012.710186
- M. D. Mckenzie & R, B, Casselman. (2017). Perceived Father Rejection and Young Adult Aggression: Examing Mediational Components of Emotional Dysregulation. Journal of Familily Issues, 38(8), 1089-1109. DOI: 10.1177/0192513X15610615. https://doi.org/10.1177/0192513X15610615
- G. Kochanska, R. A. Barry, N. B. Jimenez, A. L. Hollatz & J. Woodard. (2009). Guilt and effortful control: Two mechanisms that prevent disruptive developmental trajectories. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97(2), 322-333. DOI:10.1037/a0015471 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0015471
- L. Seibokaite, A. Endriulatiene, M. J. M. Sullman, R. Marksaityte & K. Zardeckaite-Matulaitiene. (2017). Difficulties in emotion regulation and risky driving among Lithuanian drivers. Traffic Injury Prevention, 18(7), 688-693. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2017.1315109. https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2017.1315109
- C. N. DeWall, R. F. Baumeister, T. F. Stkllman & M. T. Gailliot. (2007).Violence restrained: Effects of self-regulation and its depletion on aggression. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 43(1), 62-76. DOI:10.1016/j.jesp.2005.12.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2005.12.005
- M. A. Jeon, J. M. Kim. (2011). The Effects of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Emotion Regulation in a patient group. The Journal of Clinical Psychology, 30(1), 113-135.