- Volume 16 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Clinical Nurse's Emotional Intelligence and Core Self-evaluation on Career Commitment
임상간호사의 정서지능과 핵심자기평가가 경력몰입에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2018.06.27
- Accepted : 2018.09.20
- Published : 2018.09.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of clinical nurse's emotional intelligence (EI) and core self-evaluation (CSE) on career commitment. Subjects were 462 clinical nurses at two general hospitals in Seoul, and survey was conducted from May to July, 2017. Data were analyzed by t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients and stepwise multiple regression analysis. The results showed that career commitment was correlated with EI or CSE (r=.28, p<.001; r=.34, p<.001). EI was correlated with CSE (r=.44, p<.001). CSE, spouse status, EI, position, subjective health status, and working department were identified as the factors affecting the clinical nurse's career commitment (
Clinician;Nurses;Emotional intelligence;Self core-evaluation;Career commitment
- H. S. Yoon, J. Y. Lim & M. J. Kang. (2017). Comparison of expectation-perception between patient and nurse on nursing care service in comprehensive nursing care wards. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 17(3), 507-522. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2017. 17.03.507 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.01.507
- H. J. Kwon, Y. J. Kim & K. S. Lee. (2014). Career female nurses' professional experience: coordinating. Women's Studies Review, 31(1), 34-61.
- S. K. Park, K. M. Cho, Y. G. Jwa, D. W. Kang & Y. Lee. (2014). Current survey of registered nurse activity. Seoul : Korea Health Industry Development Institute.
- S. I. Choi & J. H. Kim. (2014). Experiences of clinical nurses aged over 40 as shift workers. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(5), 514-524. DOI : 10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.514 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.514
- J. Mayer & C. Cobb. (2000). Educational policy on emotional intelligence: does it make sense? Educational Psychology Review, 12, 163-183. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009093231445
- E. Codier, L. Muneno, K. Franey & F. Matsuura. (2010). Is emotional intelligence an important concept for nursing practice? Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 17(10), 940-948. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2850.2010.01610.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2010.01610.x
- G. Gorgens-Ekermans & T. Brand. (2012). Emotional intelligence as a moderator in the stress-burnout relationship: a questionnaire study on nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21, 227-285, DOI : 10.1111/ j.1365-2702. 2012.04171.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04171.x
- T. A. Judge, E. A. Locke & C. C. Durhan. (1997). The dispositional causes of job satisfaction: a care evaluations approach. Research in Organizational Behavior, 19, 151-188.
- C. H. Chang, D. Ferris, R. E. Johnson, C. C. Rosen & J. A. Tan. (2012). Core self-evaluations: a review and evaluation of the literature. Journal of Management, 38(1), 81-128. DOI: 10.1177/0149206311419661 https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206311419661
- H. K. Spence Laschinger, N. Purdy & J. Almost. (2007). The impact of leader-member exchange quality, empowerment, and core self-evaluation on nurse manager' job satisfaction. Journal of Nursing Administration, 37(5), 221-229. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNA.0000269746.63007.08
- X. Li, L. Guan, H. Chang & B. Zhang. (2014). Core self-evaluation and burnout among nurses: the mediating role of coping styles. Public Library of Science One, 9(12), 1-12. DOI : 10.1371/journal.pone. 0115799 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0115799
- M. J. Kim & M. S. Koh. (2011). Mediating effects of self-leadership on the relationship between nurses' core self-evaluation and innovative behaviour. Health and Social Science, 30, 177-204.
- P. L. Chang, Y. C. Chou & F. C. Cheng. (2007). Career needs, career development programmes, organizational commitment and turnover intention of nurses in Taiwan. Journal of Nursing Management, 15, 801-810. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2934.2007.00772.x
- S. Torstad & I. T. Bjork. (2007). Nurse leaders' views on clinical ladders as a strategy in professional development. Journal of Nursing Management, 15, 817-824. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2934.2007.00769.x
- H. G. Kim & S. M. Lee. (2015). Analyses on antecedents of nurses' career commitment. Creativity & innovation, 8(1), 1-35.
- S. J. Han. (2011). Influence of Clinical nurses' emotional intelligence on their career commitment and turnover intention: moderating role of career commitment. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 11(7), 416-425. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2011. 11.7.418 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.7.418
- Y. S. Sung, M. S. Hwang, K. S. Kim & N. M. Chun. (2010). Influence of clinical nurse specialists' emotional intelligence on their organizational commitment and turnover intention. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(3), 259-266. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.259
- K. Yoon. (2014). Effect of career commitment and professionalism of perioperative nurses on the organizational commitment. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 15(12), 7193 -7203. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.12.7193
- I. O. Moon, (2010). The structural model about impact of nurse's career management, career plateau, career satisfaction on career commitment. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(2), 180-189. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.2.180
- C. S. Wong & K. S. Law. (2002). The effect of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. The Leadership Quarterly, 13, 243-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- J. H. Han, C. S. Kim, M. O. Choi & T. Y. Yoo. (2003). Overview on emotional competencies and its implication in corporate scenes. In Proceedings from the Korean Society for Industrial and Organ Psychology, 97-107.
- T. A. Judge, A. Erez, E. Bono & C. J. Thoresen. (2003). The core self-evaluation scale: development of a measure. Personnel Psychology, 56(3), 303-331. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2003.tb00152.x
- P. S. Yang. (2008). The impact of core self-evaluations on the organizational effectiveness: mediating effect of self-leadership and psychological empowerment. Doctoral dissertation. Ulsan University, Ulsan.
- G. J. Blau. (1989). Testing the generalizability of a career commitment measure and its impact on employee turnover. Journal of Vacational Behavior, 35, 88-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(89)90050-X
- K. Lee. (2000). Derminants of career commitment and its influences on employees' attitudes. Doctoral dissertation, Sogang University, Seoul.
- O. H. Cho & K. H. Hwang. (2014). The influences between new nurses' nursing performance, emotional intelligence, self-resiliency and core self-evaluation. Journal of The Korea Contents Association, 4(7), 291-301.
- X. Yan & J. Su. (2013). Core self-evaluations mediators of the influence of social support on job involvement in hospital nurses. Social Indicators Research, 113, 299-306. DOI : 10.1007/s11205-012-0093 -x https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-012-0093-x
- D. Kammeyer-Mueller, T. A. Judge & B. A. Scott. (2009). The role of core self-evaluations in the coping process. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94(1), 177-195. DOI : 10.1037/a0013214 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013214
- M. R. Kim. (2007). Influential Factors on turnover intention of nurses: the affect of nurse's organizational commitment and career commitment to turnover intention. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 13(3), 335-344.
- M. T. Mrayyan & I. A. Al-Faouri. (2008). Career commitment and job performance of Jordanian nurses. Nursing Forum, 43(1), 24-37.
- S. Amin, R. Arshad & R. A. Ghani. (2017). Spousal support and subjective career success: the role of work-family balance and career commitment as mediator. Journal Pengurusan, 50, 133-142. DOI : 10.17576/pengurusan-2017-50-12
- L. R. Goulet. (2002). Career commitment: a reexamination and an extension. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 61, 73-91. DOI : 10.1006/jvbe.2001.1844 https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1844
- M. Al-Hussami. (2008). A study of nurses' job satisfaction: the relationship to organizational commitment, perceived organizational support, transactional leadership, transformational leadership, and level of education. European Journal of Scientific Research, 22(2), 286-295.
- B. Rambur, B. Mclntosh, M. V. Palumbo & K. Reinier. (2005). Education as a determinant of career retention and job satisfaction among registered nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 37(2), 185-192. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2005.00031.x
- M. W. Firmin & M. Bailey. (2008). When caretaking competes with care giving: a qualitative study of full-time working mothers who are nurse managers. Journal of Nursing Management, 16, 858-867. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2008.00875.x
- M. T. Mrayyan & I. A. Al-Faouri. (2008). Nurses' career commitment and job performance: differences between intensive care units and wards. Journal of Research in Nursing, 13(1), 38-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/1744987107079882
- K. H. Na. (2015). The mediating role of career commitment in the relationship between career planning and career success. The journal of professional management, 18(1), 47-67.
- M. J. Lee, S. H. Yoon & Y. C. Cho. (2016). Relationship between psychosocial factors, job stress contents, fatigue symptoms and quality of nursing services among general hospital nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(8), 569-581. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.569 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.569
- B. Perrry. (2008). Shine on: achieving career satisfaction as a registered nurse. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 39(1), 17-25. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080101-06
- J. Humphreys, B. Brunsen & D. Davis. (2005). Emotional structure and commitment: implications for health care management. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 19(2), 120-129. DOI : 10.1108/14777260510600040 https://doi.org/10.1108/14777260510600040
- T. A. Judge & J. E. Bono. (2001). Relationship of core self-evaluations traits-self-esteem, generalized self- efficacy, locus of control, and emotional stability-with job satisfaction and job performance: a meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86(1), 80-92. DOI: 10.1037//0021-9010.86.1.80 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.1.80
- J. Lim & H. Kwoen. (2017). The effects of big five personality factors, emotional intelligence and core self-evaluation on job satisfaction: concentrating on male production workers. Psychological Type and Human Development, 18(2), 67-79.
- S. H. Park & M. J. Park. (2018). The effects of emotional intelligence, nursing work environment on nursing work performance in clinical nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(4), 175-184. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.175 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.4.175
- K. B. Smith, J. Profetto-McGrath & G. G. Cumming. (2009). Emotional intelligence and nursing: an integra -tive literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 46, 1624-1636. DOI : 10.1016/j.ijnur stu.2009.05.024 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.05.024
- E. Codier, C. Kamikawa, B. M. Kooker & J. Sboultz. (2009). Emotional intelligence, performance, and retention in clinical staff nurses. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 33(4), 310-316. https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0b013e3181b9dd5d
- S. Lee. (2010). Emotional intelligence and job stress of clinical nurses in local public hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(4), 466-474. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE06641595 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.466
- P. Demakakos, J. Nazroo, E. Breeeze & M. Marmot. (2008). Socioeconomic status and health: the role of subjective social status. Social Science & Medicine, 67(2), 330-340. DOI : 10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.03.038 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.03.038
- M. S. Kim. (2001). The Effect of Job Characteristics, Career Commitment and the Job Fitness on Job Attitude of Clinical Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 7(3), 387-401.
- H. Y. Kim & M. S. Yim. (2015). A study on the effect of convergence career management systems on job engagement and career commitment. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 6(5), 23-31. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.023 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.023