- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Vibration Control Performance Evaluation of Hybrid Mid-Story Isolation System for a Tall Building
하이브리드 중간층 지진격리시스템의 고층 건물 진동 제어 성능 평가
- Kim, Hyun-Su (Div. of Architecture, Architectural & Civil Engineering, Sunmoon University) ;
- Kang, Joo-Won (School of Architecture, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2018.03.19
- Accepted : 2018.04.26
- Published : 2018.09.15
A base isolation system is widely used to reduce seismic responses of low-rise buildings. This system cannot be effectively applied to high-rise buildings because the initial stiffness of the high-rise building with the base isolation system maintains almost the same as the building without the base isolation system to set the yield shear force of the base isolation system larger than the design wind load. To solve this problem, the mid-story isolation system was proposed and applied to many buildings. The mid-story isolation system has two major objectives; first to reduce peak story drift and second to reduce peak drift of the isolation story. Usually, these two objectives are in conflict. In this study, a hybrid mid-story isolation system for a tall building is proposed. A MR (magnetorheological) damper was used to develop the hybrid mid-story isolation system. An existing building with mid-story isolation system, that is "Shiodome Sumitomo Building" a high rise building having a large atrium in the lower levels, was used for control performance evaluation of the hybrid mid-story isolation system. Fuzzy logic controller and genetic algorithm were used to develop the control algorithm for the hybrid mid-story isolation system. It can be seen from analytical results that the hybrid mid-story isolation system can provide better control performance than the ordinary mid-story isolation system and the design process developed in this study is useful for preliminary design of the hybrid mid-story isolation system for a tall building.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Kelly, J. M. (1999). The current state of base isolation in the United States. Proceedings of the Second World Conference on Structural Control, Japan, Vol.1, pp.1043-1052
- Naeim, F., & Kelly, J. M., "Design of Seismic Isolated Structures: From Theory to Practice", Wiley, pp.1-304, 1999.
- Tsuneki, Y., Torii, S., Murakami, K., & Sueoka, T. (2008). Middle-Story Isolated Structural System of High-Rise Building. Proceedings of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, International Association for Earthquake Engineering, China.
- Hur, M. W. (2017). Seismic Isolation Effects by the Isolation Period of the Vertically Story-added Remodeling Building. Proceedings of Spring Annual Conference of the Korea Concrete Institute, Republic of Korea, Vol.29, No.1, pp.705-706
- Hur, M. W., "Construction of Isolation Device for DONG-IL High-Vill New City", Review of Architecture and Building Science, Vol.54, No.5, pp.81-86, 2010
- Sueoka, T., Torii, S., & Tsuneki, Y. (2004). The Application of Response Control Design using Middle-Story Isolation System to High-Rise Building. Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, International Association for Earthquake Engineering, Canada.
- Deb, K., Agrawal, S., Pratap, A., & Meyarivan, T. (2000). A Fast Elitist Non-dominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm for Multi-objective Optimization: NSGA-II (Report No. 200001). India: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
- Jun, D. H., Kang, P. D., & Kim, J. U., "Nonlinear Response Spectra of Artificial Earthquake Waves Compatible with Design Spectrum", Journal of Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea, Vol.10, No.5, pp.63-71, 2006
- Sues, R. H., Mau, S. T., & Wen, Y. K., "System identification of degrading hysteretic restoring forces", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol.114, No.5, pp.833-846, 1988 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1988)114:5(833)
- Warburton, G. B., "Optimum absorber parameters for various combinations of response and excitation parameters", Journal of the International Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.10, No.3, pp.381-401, 1982