- Volume 27 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of Feather Waste for Orange II Removal from Aqueous Solutions
수용액 중 Orange II 흡착 제거를 위한 우모폐기물의 이용가능성
- Park, Soo-Yeun (College of Natural Resources & Life Science, Life and Industry Convergence Institute, Pusan National University) ;
- Yoo, Ji-Yeon (College of Natural Resources & Life Science, Life and Industry Convergence Institute, Pusan National University) ;
- Son, Hong-Joo (College of Natural Resources & Life Science, Life and Industry Convergence Institute, Pusan National University)
- 박수연 (부산대학교 생명자원과학대학 및 생명산업융합연구원) ;
- 유지연 (부산대학교 생명자원과학대학 및 생명산업융합연구원) ;
- 손홍주 (부산대학교 생명자원과학대학 및 생명산업융합연구원)
- Received : 2018.04.06
- Accepted : 2018.04.26
- Published : 2018.09.30
The objective of this study was to investigate the adsorption potential of chicken feathers for the removal of OrangeII (AO7) from aqueous solutions. Batch experiments were performed as a function of different experimental parameters such as initial pH, reaction time, feather dose, initial OrangeII concentration and temperature. The highest OrangeII uptake was observed at pH 1.0. Most of the OrangeII was adsorbed at 2 h and an adsorption equilibrium was reached at 6 h. As the amount of chicken feather was increased, the removal efficiency of OrangeII increased up to 99%, but its uptake decreased. By increasing the initial concentration and temperature, OrangeII uptake was increased. The experimental adsorption isotherm exhibited a better fit with the Langmuir isotherm than with the Freundlich isotherm, and maximum adsorption capacity from the Langmuir constant was determined to be 0.179244 mmol/g at
Supported by : 부산대학교
- Ahn, D. H., Chang, W. S., Yoon, T. I., 1999, Dyestuff wastewater treatment using chemical oxidation, physical adsorption and fixed bed biofilm process, Process Biochem., 34, 429-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(98)00111-3
- Chakraborty, S., Chowdhury, S., Saha, P. D., 2011, Adsorption of crystal violet from aqueous solution onto NaOH-modified rice husk, Carbohydr. Polym., 86, 1533-1541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2011.06.058
Chen, L., Deng, C., Wu, F., Deng, N., 2011, Decolorization of the azo dye Orange II in a montmorillonite/
$H_2O_2$system, Desalination, 281, 306-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.08.006
- Greluk, M., Hubicki, Z., 2011, Efficient removal of acid Orange 7 dye from water using the strongly basic anion exchange resin Amberlite IRA-958, Desalination, 278, 219-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.05.024
- Gupta, V. K., Mittal, A., Kurup, L., Mittal, J., 2006, Adsorption of a hazardous dye, Erythrosine, over hen feathers, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 304, 52-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.08.032
- Gupta, V. K., Suhas, 2009, Application of low-cost adsorbents for dye removal-A review, J. Environ. Manage., 90, 2313-2342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2008.11.017
- Guzel, F., Uzun, I., 2005, Rate studies on the adsorption of some dyestuffs and p-nitrophenol by chitosan and monocarboxymethylated(mcm)-chitosan from aqueous solution, J. Hazard. Mater., B118, 141-154.
- Hamzeh, Y., Ashori, A., Azadeh, E., Abdulkhani, A., 2012, Removal of acid Orange 7 and Remazol Black 5 reactive dyes from aqueous solutions using a novel biosorbent, Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 32, 1394-1400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2012.04.015
- Janos, P., Buchtova, H., Ryznarova, M., 2003, Sorption of dyes from aqueous solutions onto fly ash, Water Res., 37, 4938-4944. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2003.08.011
- Janos, P., Sedivy, P., Ryznarova, M., Grotschelova, S., 2005, Sorption of basic and acid dyes from aqueous solutions onto oxihumolite, Chemosphere, 59, 881-886. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.11.018
- Jeong, Y. S., Lim, W. T., Kim, J. H., Oh, H. S., Kim, Y. H., 2008, Discoloration of azo-dyes using Zerovalent Iron, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 30, 1262-1267.
- Jin, X., Jiang, M. Q., Shan, X. Q., Pei, Z. G., Chen, Z., 2008, Adsorption of methylene blue and orange II onto unmodified and surfactant-modified zeolite, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 328, 243-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2008.08.066
- Karthikeyan, G., Ilango, S. S., 2008, Adsorption of Cr(VI ) onto activated carbons prepared from indigenous materials, E-J. Chem., 5, 666-678. https://doi.org/10.1155/2008/109398
- Kousha, M., Daneshvar, E., Sohrabi, M. S., Jokar, M., Bhatnagar, A., 2012, Adsorption of acid orange II dye by raw and chemically modified brown macroalga Stoechospermum marginatum, Chem. Eng. J., 192, 67-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2012.03.057
- Lee, G. E., Ahn, J. H., Kim, D. S., 2003, Production of activated carbon from waste walnut shell using phosphoric acid and lts adsorption characteristics for heavy metal ion, J. Kor. Inst. Resour. Recycling, 12, 13-24.
- Lee, J. J., 2011, Study on adsorption characteristics of Erythrosine dye from aqueous solution using activated carbon, Appl. Chem. Eng., 22, 224-229.
- Lee, M. G., Kam, S. K., Suh, K. H., 2012, Adsorption of non-degradable Eosin Y by activated carbon, J. Environ. Sci., 21, 623-631.
- Liu, H., Zhang, J., Liu, W., Bao, N., Cheng, C., Zhang, C., 2012, Preparation and characterization of activated charcoals from a new source: Feather, Meter. Lett., 87, 17-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2012.07.089
- Malekbala, M. R., Hosseini, S., Yazdi, S. K., Soltani, S. M., Malekbala, M. R., 2012, The study of the potential capability of sugar beet pulp on the removal efficiency of two cationic dyes, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 90, 704-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2011.09.010
- Mane, V. S., Vijay Babu, P. V., 2011, Studies on the adsorption of Brilliant Green dye from aqueous solution onto low-cost NaOH treated saw dust, Desalination, 273, 321-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.01.049
- Milmile, S. N., Pande, J. V., Karmakar, S., Bansiwal, A., Chakrabarti, T., Biniwale, R. B., 2011, Equilibrium isotherm and kinetic modeling of the adsorption of nitrates by anion exchange Indion NSSR resin, Desalination, 276, 38-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.03.015
- Mittal, A., 2006a, Adsorption kinetics of removal of a toxic dye, Malachite green, from wastewater by using hen feathers, J. Hazar. Mater., B133, 196-202.
- Mittal, A., 2006b, Use of hen feathers, as potential adsorbent for the removal of a harardous dye, Brilliange Blue FCF, from wastewater, J. Harzar. Mater., B128, 233-239.
- Mittal, A., Kurup, L., Mittal, J., 2007, Freundlich and Langmuir adsorption isotherms and kinetics for the removal of Tartrazine from aqueous solutions using hen feathers, J. Hazar. Mater., 146, 243-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.12.012
- Silva, J. P., Sousa, S., Rodrigues, J., Antunes, H., Porter, J. J., Goncalves, I., Ferreira-Dias, S., 2004, Adsorption of acid orange 7 dye in aqueous solutions by spent brewery grains, Sep. Purif. Technol., 40, 309-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2004.03.010
- Sun, P., Liu, Z. T., Liu, Z. W., 2009, Particles from bird feather: A Novel application of an ionic liquid and waste resource, J. Hazar. Mater., 170, 786-790. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.05.034
- Zaki, A. B., El-Sheikh, M. Y., Evans, J., El-Safty, S. A., 2000, Kinetics and mechanism of the sorption of some aromatic amines onto Amberlite IRA-904 anion exchange resin, J. Colloid Interface Sci,. 221, 58-63. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.1999.6553
- Zhou, L., Jin, J., Liu, Z., Liang, X., Shang, C., 2011, Adsorption of acid dyes from aqueous solutions by the ethylenediamine-modified magnetic chitosan nanoparticles, J. Hazar. Mater., 185, 1045-1052. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.10.012