- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Moderating Effect of Coping Stress between Middle-aged Women's Stress and Defense Mechanism
중년기 여성의 스트레스와 스트레스 대처방식의 관계에서 자아방어기제의 조절효과
- Kim, Seon-Hee (Jeju Special Self-Goveming Province Support Center for Childcare Teacher Counselor) ;
- Kim, Jin-Seon (Department of Social Welfare, Cheju Halla University) ;
- Ko, Sun-Young (Department of Social Welfare, Cheju Halla University)
- Received : 2018.07.11
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
The purpose of this study is to find out the correlations between the stress that middle-aged women experience and their coping methods and to present intervening variables to promote active coping methods. The subjects of this study are 400 middle-aged women from 35 to 59 years old living in S area and the results are as follows. The relationship between middle-aged women's stress, self-defense mechanism, and stress-coping method shows as follows: the role stress is positively correlated with immature defense mechanism, self-restraint defense mechanism and conflict-avoiding defense mechanism. Among stress-coping methods, the problem-centered coping method was found to be negatively correlated with role stress and daily stress. the immature defense mechanism shows negative correlations with the problem-centered coping, but shows positive correlations with the emotion-centered coping and the wishful thinking. Among the self-defense mechanism types not effective in the social-support coping method.
child education;middle-aged women;middle-aged women stress;self defense mechanism;stress copying style
Supported by : 제주국제대학교
- S. D. Nam, The prediction model of mid-life women's family stress and mental health. Unpublished Doctoral thesis, Chung-ang University, Seoul, Korea, 2008.
- Y. K. Lee, An examination of the structural relationships among stress of middle-aged women, mindfulness, self-compassion, and emotional well-being, and effectiveness of a mindfulnes enhancement program. Unpublished Doctoral thesis, Ewha women's University, Seoul Korea, 2008.
- K. M. Hong, "Understanding of middle-Aged women's crisis and christian counseling", The Gospel and Praxis, 25(spring), pp.217-244, 2012.
- N.J.Lee, A Study of Participation Needs in Social Activities to Cope with Mid-Aged-Women's Crisis. Unpublished Doctoral thesis, Wonkwang University, Lksan Korea, 2005.
- S. Y. Lee, The effect of preparation and crisis on the satisfaction of married life of middle-aged married women. Korea Family Resource Management Association, 1981, pp.29-46, 2014.
- C. R. Jeon, Research on Life-structure Change and Neurosis of Mid-life Transition Women in the View of Christian Counseling. Unpublished Doctoral thesis, Keimyung University, Dae-gu Korea, 2012.
- Y. S. Song, Path model analysis of stress, coping method, quality of life and spiritual maturity of middle age christian women. Unpublished Dodtoral thesis, Baekseok University, Cheonan orea. 2009.
- W.L. Jeong, A Study on the Application of Bibliotherapy for Middle-Aged Women to Overcome the Empty Nest Syndrome. Unpublished Doctoral thesis, Kyonggi University, Seoul Korea. 2013.
- J.H.Jeong, Perceived equity, role stress and life satisfaction of married working-mother salesclerks. Unpublished Master's thesis, Sookmyung women's University, Seoul Korea. 2003.
- J.W. Son, Social Support and Life Stress in Middle-aged Women Have Impact on the Psychological Well-being. Unpublished Master's thesis, Dae-gu University, Dae-gu Korea. 2015.
- Y. J. Cho, The Effect of middle-aged women's stress of life events and social support on their perceived crisis. Unpublished Master's thesis, Korea national University of education, Cheongju, Korea. 2006.
- N. H. Kim, The relationship between spiritual well-being, stress coping, and depression among youth. Unpublished Master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea. 2009.
- R. S. Lazarus, S. Folkman, Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York: Springer. 1984.
- A.G.Billings, R.H.Moos, The role of coping responses and social resources in attenuating the stress of life events. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 4(2), 1, pp.39-157, 1981. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF00844267 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00844267
- K. H. Kim, G, G. Chun, Development of a life stress and coping scale for junior high school students.1. Korean journal of clinical sychology, 12(2.), pp197-217, 1993.
- J. H. Lee, E, H. Lee, The Moderating effect of coping strategies upon multiple role conflicts and depression within dual employed couples. Korean Journal of Psychology: Health, 5(2), pp. 287-303, 2000.
- B, A. Fleming, J. E. Singer, Toward an Integrative approach to the study of stress. Jouranl of Personality and Social Psychology, 46, pp.404-421, 1984. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1999
- B. E. Compas, V. L. Malcarne, K. M. Fondacaro, Coping with stressful events in older children and young adolescents. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 57(3), pp. 405-411, 1988. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.3.405 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.3.405
- K. S. Hwang, A study on the influence of the ego defense mechanisms and parent's ostering attitude perceived by youth on personal relationship. Unpublished Master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, Korea, 2006.
- B, K. Byun, Perceived mothers' parenting styles and the children's defense styles. Unpublished Master's thesis, Dankook University, Seoul, Korea, 2004.
- S. Erickson, S. Feldman, H. Steiner, Defense reactions and coping strategies in normal adolescents. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 28, pp. 45-56, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025145119301
- W. S. Kim, Relationship between emotional expressiveness self-defense mechanism and coping style. Unpublished Master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, Korea. 2004.
- C. Brenner, Defense and defense mechanisms. Pschoanalytic Quarterly, 50, pp. 557-569. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1080/21674086.1981.11926971
- M. P.Leiter, Coping pattern as predictors of burnout : The function of control and escapist coping patterns. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 12, p. 123-144, 1991. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.4030120205 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030120205
- D. L Segal, F. LnCoolidge, H. Mizuno, Defense mechanism differences between younger and older adults: A cross-sectional investigation. Aging and Mental Health, 11(4), pp. 415-422, 2007. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13607860600963588 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860600963588
- J. W. Kim, Defense mechanism maturity study. Unpublished Doctoralthesis, Seoul University, Seoul, Korea, 2003.
- Y. H. Oh, A study on adaption of college students. Korean Psychologial Assocoaition Annual Conference, pp. 513-530. 1993.
- L. M. Martire, M. A. P. Stephens, A. Townsend, Centrality of women's multiple roles: beneficial and detrimental consepuences for psychological well-being. Psychology and Aging, 15, pp. 148-156, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79188.8.131.52
- A DeLongis,, J. C. Coybe, G Dakof, S. Folkman, R. S Lazarus, The relationship of daily hassles, uplifts, and major life events to health status. Health Psychology, 1(2), pp. 119-136, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6184.108.40.206
- C. H. Kim, Relationship of the daily hassles, stress appraisal and coping strategies with emotional experiences. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 7, 1, pp. 44-69, 1995.
- J.Y. Park, Study on the relationship among character type A & B ego-identity and stres coping.Unpublished Master's thesis, ookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea, 1995.
- M Bond, S. T.Gardner, J. Christian, & J. J. Sigal, Empirical study of self-rated defense styles. Archieves of Generak Psychiatry, 40, pp. 333-338, 1983. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1983.01790030103013 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1983.01790030103013
- S. H. Cho. A validational study of korean version of defense style questionnaire. The Krean Journal of counselling and psychotherapy, 20(8), pp. 203-224, 1999.
- I. A. Kim, The Moderated Mediation Effect of Cognitive Style to Adolescents' Psychological Mechanism: Focusing on the Relation Trait-Anxiety, Mother-Child Communication Style and Defense Mechanism. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, 16(1), 51-67, 2008
- D. Ihilevich, G. C. Gleser, Defense mechanism: Their dassification corelate and measurement with the defense mechanism inventory. Owosso, M.I.: DMI Assoc, 1986.
- P. Cramer, Defense mechanisms in psychology today: Further processes for adaptation. American Psychologist, 55(6), 637-646, 2000. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.6.637 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.6.637
- G. E. Vaillant, Ego mechanisms of defenxe: A guide for clinicians and reserchers. (Ed.), Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1992.
- J, W. Kim, Defense mechanism maturity study. Unpublished Doctoralthesis, Seoul University, Seoul, Korea, 2003.
- J. C. Perry, Logitudinal studies of Presonality disorders. Journal of Personality Disorders, (suppl. Spring)63-85, 1993.
- S. Willick, The defense. In B. Moore & B. Fine(Eds.), Psychoanalysis the major concepts. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1995.
- J. H. Kim, Perceived Stress Factors and Coping Style Depression. Unpublished Dctoralthesis, Seoul University, Seoul, Korea, 1987.
- B. A. Lim, Study on the Difference of Stress Perception and Coping Methods among Junior High School Students and Flight Students. Unpublished Master's thesis, Hankuk University of foreign studies, Seoul Korea, 1997.
- S, J. Song, The relationship between the coping patterns of middle of one's life and an emotional crisis. Unpublished Master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul Korea, 2002.
- R. S.Lazarus, & S. Folkman. Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York: Springer, 1984.
- J. H. Lee, E, H. Lee, The Moderating effectof coping strategies upon multiple role conflicts and depression within dual employed couples. Korean Journal of Psychology: Health, 5(2), 287-303, 2000.
- A. G. Billings, R. H. Moos, Coping, stress, and social resources among adults with unipolar depression. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 46(4), pp.877-891, 1984. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.117 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687
- G. Caplan, Mastery of stress: psychosocial aspects. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 138(4), pp. 413-420, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.138.4.413
- C. S. Carver, C. Pozo, S. D. Harris, V. Noriega, M, F. Scheier, D. S. Robinson, & K. C. Clark, How coping mediates the effect of optimism on distress: a study of women with early stage breast cancer. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 65(2), pp. 375-390, 1993. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1245 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1995
- A. T. Ebata, & R. H. Moos, Coping and adjustment in distressed and healthy adolescents. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 12(1), pp. 33-54, 1991. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0193-3973(91)90029-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0193-3973(91)90029-4
- D. Osowiecki, B. ECompas, Psychological adjustment to cancer: Control beliefs and coping in adult cancer patients. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 22(5,. pp. 483-499, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018725716620
- J. Suls, B. Fletcher, The relative efficacy of avoidant and non-avoidant coping strategies: A meta-analysis. Health Psychology, 4, pp. 249-388, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6188.8.131.52
- C. Brenner, Defense and defense mechanisms. Pschoanalytic Quarterly, 50, 557-569, 1981 https://doi.org/10.1080/21674086.1981.11926971
- M. P. Leiter, Coping pattern as predictors of burnout : The function of control and escapist coping patterns. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 12, 123-144, 1991. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.4030120205 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030120205
- S. Erickson, S. S. Feldman, H. Steiner, Defense reactions and coping strategies in normal adolescents. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 28, 45-56, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025145119301
- S. Soldz, & G. E. Vaillant, A 50-year longitudinal study of defense use among inner city men: A validation of the DSM-IV defense axis. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 186, 104-111, 1998. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00005053-199802000-00006 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-199802000-00006
- G. E. Vaillant, heoretical hierarchy of adaptive ego mechanisms. Archives of General Psychiatry, 24, 107-118, 1971. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1971.01750080011003
- G. E. Vaillant, M.,Bond, C. O. Vaillnt, An empirically validated Hierarchy of defense mechanisms. Archives of General Psychiatry, 43, 786-794, 1986. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1986.01800080072010 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1986.01800080072010
- S, J. Lee, The Effects of Positive Illusions and Defense Mechanisms on College Students' Stress Coping Style. Unpublished Master's thesis, Seoul women's University, Seoul Korea, 2012.
- J, W. Kim, Defense mechanism maturity study. Unpublished Doctoralthesis, Seoul University, Seoul Korea, 2003.
- G. E., Ego mechanisms of defenxe: A guide for clinicians and reserchers. (Ed.), Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1992.