- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Verbal Violence in Clinical Practice, Academic Stress Coping, and Depression on Professional Self-concepts among Korean Nursing Students
간호대학생의 임상실습 시 경험한 언어폭력, 학업스트레스 대처 및 우울이 전문직 자아개념에 미치는 영향
- Jeon, Hae Ok (Department of Nursing, Cheongju University)
- 전해옥 (청주대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.05.23
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
The aims of this study were to investigate the effects of verbal violence experienced during clinical practice, emotional responses, academic stress coping, and depression on professional self-concepts of nursing students. Data were collected through a self-reported structured questionnaire form given to nursing students in grades 3-4 using convenient sampling methods from October 25 to November 1, 2017. As a result, 41.9% of the subjects experienced verbal violence during clinical practice. The frequency of experiences for verbal violence was '1 time' at 16.9%, '2 times' at 15.5%, and '3 times' at 4.7%. The verbal violence attackers were patients (42.9%), nurses (37.7%), and protector (15.5%). Emotional response was positively correlated with depression and frequency of verbal violence. Academic stress coping had a negative correlation with depression and a positive correlation with professional self-concept. Depression was negatively correlated with professional self-concept. Multiple regression analysis showed that academic stress coping and depression were statistically significant variables in the professional self-concept, and these variables had a 28% explanatory power. Therefore, in order to improve the professional self-concept of nursing students, it is necessary to develop a strategy to raise the level of academic stress coping and to reduce depression.
Depression;Nursing student;Psychological stress;Self-concept;Violence
Supported by : 청주대학교
- P. E. Spector, Z. E. Zhou, X. X. Che, "Nurse Exposure to Physical and Nonphysical Violence, Bullying, and Sexual Harassment: A Quantitative Review," International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 72-84, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.01.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.01.010
- N. Magnavita T. Heponiemi, "Workplace Violence Against Nursing Students and Nurses: An Italian Experience," Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 203-210, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01392.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01392.x
- Korean Nurses Association. "Report on the Improvement of Working Condition of Hospital Nurse," The Korean Nurse, vol. 263, 2017.
- Y. Son, H. Gong, M. You, S. Kong, "Relationships between Workplace Violence Experience and Post Traumatic Stress Symptoms, Resilience in Clinical Nurses," Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 515-530, 2015.
- D. A. Infante, C. J. Wigley, "Verbal Aggressiveness: an Interpersonal Model and Measure," Communication Monographs, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 61-69, 1986. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/03637758609376126 https://doi.org/10.1080/03637758609376126
- H. Yi, H. Moon, M. Shin, "The Influence of Workplace Violence on Anger and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder among Nurses," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 240-248, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.3.240 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.3.240
- Y. H. Cho, Y. Hong, A. Lee, M. Kim, H. Lee, A. K. Han, E. Kim, "Experience of Verbal Abuse, Emotional Response, and Ways to Deal with Verbal Abuse against Nurses in Hospital," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 270-278, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.270 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.270
- H. O. Jeon, "A Grounded Theory Approach on Nursing Students' Experience with Overcoming Psychological Crisis by Clinical Practice", Journal of Health and Medical Science, Cheongju University, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 21-31, 2017
- Y. Jeong, K. Lee, "Effect of Verbal Abuse Experience, Coping Style and Resilience on Emotional Response and Stress During Clinical Practicum among Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 391-399, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.391 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.391
- J. Oh, O. S. Kim, K. Lee, "Exposure to Violence and Coping Behavior during the Clinical Practice of Nursing Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 5325-5335, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5325 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5325
- H. An, "The Relationship between Stress of Clinical Practice and Mental Health in Nursing Students", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 2249-2263, 2006.
- J. Choi, M. Park, "Methodological Triangulation Method to Evaluate Adjustment to College Life in Associate Nursing College Students", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 339-349, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.07.339 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.07.339
- J. Yi, H. Kwak, "Relation of Interpersonal Relationship Harmony, Stress Coping and Adjustment to College Life among Nursing students," Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 527-537, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.527 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.527
- Y. Lim, "The Impact of Nursing Students' Emotional Labor and Clinical Practice Stress on Burnout," Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, vol. 17, no. 6. pp. 461-474, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.6.461 https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.6.461
- I. Jang, "The Effects of Emotional Regulation between Clinical Practice Stress and Nursing Professionalism in Nursing Students," Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 749-761, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.3.749 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.3.749
- K. Lim, E. Jo, "Influence of Satisfaction with Clinical Practice and Image of Nurses on Nursing Professionalism of Nursing Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 556-566, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.556 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.556
- M, Baek, W. Kim, H. Ryu, "Influencing Factors of Professional Self-Concept, Satisfaction for Clinical Practice, and Critical Thinking Disposition on Clinical Competency in Nursing Students," Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 3353-3365, 2013.
- E. J. Oh, Y. S. Kim, "A Study on the Relationship between Upper-scale General Hospital Nurses' Experience of Verbal Abuse and Job Stress," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 173-182, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.173 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.173
- S. Joung, K. Park, "Influence of Experiencing Verbal Abuse, Job Stress and Burnout on Nurses" Turnover Intention in Hemodialysis Units," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 189-198, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.189 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.189
- J. H. Noh, Y. K. Na, "Effects of Violence Experience, Emotional Labor, and Job Stress on Clinical Nurses' Depression," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 153-161, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.153 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.153
- S. Lee, J. Kim, "Convergence Study on Relationship among Verbal violence experience, Verbal violence impact and Burnout in Operating Room Nurses," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 85-96, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.085 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.085
- M. Nam, H. Kim, "Relations between Clinical practice Emotional labor, Self esteem and Major Satisfaction of among Nursing Students," Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 263-273, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.263 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.263
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*POWER 3: A Flexible Statistical Power Analysis Program for the Social, Behavioral, and Biomedical Sciences", Behavior Research Methods, vol. 39, pp. 175-191. 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- K. D. Nam, G. S. Yun, H. S. Jeong, S. A. Park, B. Y. Jang, H. R. Kim, H. S. Eum, Y. H. Sung, "A study on the Development of verbal abuse scale for operating room nurse," Nursing Administration Journal, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 159-171, 2005.
- A. R. Bae. The Relationships among Verbal Abuse Experiences, Emotional Response, Coping and Emotional Intelligence in Hospital Nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungsang University, Jinju, 2012.
- M. L. Lanza. "Assault response questionnaire," Journal of Issues in Mental Health Nursing, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 17-29, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3109/01612848809140907 https://doi.org/10.3109/01612848809140907
- S. J, Jang. Relationship between Experience of Patients's Violent Behaviors and Burnout of Psychiatric Nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2004.
- S. H. Kim, H. J. Cho, J. H. Dong, J. M. An, B. R. Yun, G. Y. Lee, J. Y. Lee, H. M. Lee, H. I. Jang, "Verbal Abuse, Verbal Abuse Response, and Stress on Verbal Abuse of Nursing Student in Clinical Training," Social Science Research Institute, Catholic University of Daegu, vol. 10, pp. 249-266, 2011.
- C. H. Kim, "Relationship of the Daily Hassles , Stress Appraisal and Coping Strategies with Emotional Experiences", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 44-69, 1995.
- L. S. Radloff, "The CES-D Scale: A Self-report Depression Scale for Research in the General Population", Applied Psychological Measurement, vol. 1, pp. 385-401, 1977. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306 https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- M. J. Cho, K. H. Kim, "Diagnostic Validity of the CES-D(Korean Version) in the Assessment of DSM-III-R Major Depression", Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, vol. 32, pp. 381-399, 1993.
- D. Arthur. The development of an instrument for measuring the professional self concept of nurses. Unpublished masters thesis. University of Newcastle, Australia. 1990.
- C. H. Noh, K. Y. Sohng, "Survey on the Relationship Self-esteem and Professional Self-concept of Nurses", The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 61-71, 1997.
- Hong, Y. Kim, Y. Son, H. "Effect of Nurses' Incivility Experienced by Nursing Student, Coping on Burnout in Clinical Practice," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 323-331. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.4.323 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.4.323