- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Awareness and performance about nosocomial infection management; a early stage nurse in small and medium hospitals
병원감염관리에 관한 인지도와 수행도 - 중소병원 초보간호사를 중심으로 -
- Kim, Jung-Mi (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Choi, Young-Sil (Department College of Nursing, Kyung-In Women's University)
- Received : 2018.05.23
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
This study was conducted to identify the degrees of awareness and performance of hospital infection control of early stage nurses working in medium and small sized hospitals. This survey was conducted for 15 days from Sep. 15 to Sep. 30, 2017. Data were then analyzed by SPSS Win 22.0 to determine the mean and SD, as well as to conduct t-tests, ANOVA, and Scheffe's test. The result were as follows: 1. There were significant differences in awareness of hospital infection according to urinary tract infection, respiratory infection, and disinfection of contaminated goods managements with age. 2. There were significant differences in performance of hospital infection according to hand washing (working department), fluid therapy (education need p<0.001), urinary tract (position), and respiratory infection management (position p<0.001). 3. The mean score of awareness and performance regarding hospital infection were significantly different (all items p<0.001). According to these results, systematic education for improving awareness and performance regarding hospital infection control by nursing staff in medium and small sized in hospitals should be conducted. In addition, organizational efforts to increase the number of early stage nurses and improve the usability of personal infection control devices should be encouraged.
- E. C. Kim. Healthcare-associated Infection and Infection Control. In Korean Society for Nosocomical Infection Control, ed. Infection Control and Prevention in Healthcare Facilities. 4th ed. Seoul: Hanmibook; 2011:3-8.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2009).American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity(ELC) for Infectious Disease Program Healthcare - Associated Infections(HAIs) Grantee Meeting, From: http://www.cdc.gov/hai/recoveryact/pdf/oct09/5-0130_srinivasan_HAI_prevention_day1.pdf
- Korean Association of Infection Control Nurses, KAICN Text of Infection Control Seoul: Eastern Culture, 2006.
- S. Y. Kim, The Clinical Features and Hospital Courses of Patients Admitted to a Geriatric Hospital: Analysis of 600 Registered Cases. Master's Thesis, Hallym University, 2008.
- Y.G.Kwak,Y.K.Cho,J.Y.Kim,M.S.Lee,H.Y.Kim,Ko rean Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System, Intensive Care Unit Module Report, Korea Journal Nosocomial Infection Control, vol 16, no.1 pp.1-12, 2010.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute, Hospital evaluation program: survey report 2009. http://www.khidi.or.kr/etcsite/medicalnotice.do.(updated on 30 April 2011)
- J. H. Kang, H. Ch. Lee, "Infection Management in Social Welfare Facilities and Analysis of Infection Education Effect: Comparison with Hospital Infection Management", Public Policy Review, Vol.29, No.1, pp.107-135, Mar. 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.17327/ippa.2015.29.1.005 https://doi.org/10.17327/ippa.2015.29.1.005
- S. Y. Jeong, J. Y. Lee, S. R. Kim, M. J. Shin, S. E. Lee, O. S. Kim, "Development and Implementation of an Education Program for Novice Infection Control Nurses", Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, Vol.21, No.1, pp.18-30, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14192/kjnic.2016.21.1.18 https://doi.org/10.14192/kjnic.2016.21.1.18
- Haleyn R. W., Quade D, Freeman H. E., Bennett J. V. The SENIC Project. "Study on the Efficacy of Nosocomial Infection Control(SENIC Project). Summary of Study Design", American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 472-485, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a112928
- M. J. Kim, Correlations among Knowledge, Awareness, and Performance of the Hospital Infection Control in Clinical Nurses, Master's Thesis Chodang University, 2010.
- J. Y. Yoo, E. G. Oh, H. K. Hur, M. Choi. "Level of Knowledge on Evidence-based Infection Control and Influencing Factors on Performance among Nurses in Intensive Care Unit", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol.24, No.3, pp.232-243, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.3.232 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.3.232
- A. L. Choi. Recognition and Performance of the Clinical Nurses about The Management of Nosocomial Infection, Department of Nursing Science, Ewha Womans University, 2005.
- K. M. Kim, H. J. Kim. Nationwide Survey on the Current Status of Infection Control in Oriental Medical Hospitals, Korean J Nosocomial Infect Control, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 63-69, 2011.
- S. Y. Jeong, O. S. Kim, J. Y. Lee, "The Status of Healthcare-associated Infection Control among Healthcare Facilities in Korea", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.5, pp.353-366, 2014. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.353 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.353
- M. A. Sung, S. U. Yoon, "Infection Control practices in accordance characteristic of Dental institutions -Daegu and North Gyeongsang Province around-", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.16 No.5, pp.299-307, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.5.299 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.5.299
- P. Benner, "From Novice to Expert", The American Journal of Nursing, Vol.82, No.3, pp.402-407.
- K. S. Jang, A Study on Establishment of Clinical Career Development Model of Nurses, Unpublished Doctor's Dissertation, Yonsei University, 2000.
- S. J. Choi, H. J. Jeong, H. J. Woo, O. J. Kim, S. C. Park, C. H. Park, A Prospective Study on the Incidence of Intravenous Catheter-related Complication, Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 10-112, 1998.
- H. S. Cho, K .H. Yoo, A Study on the Level of Recognition and Performance of the Clinical Nurses about the Prevention of Nosocomial Infection, Korea Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 10, no. 1 pp. 5-23, 2001.
- M. S. Soung, Clinical Nurse's Awareness and Practice of Nosocomical Infection Management. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Dankook University, 2001.
- B. H. Kim, A study on the Degrees of Awareness and Performance of the Hospital Infection Control among Clinical Nurses in a Middle-sized and in a Small-sized Hospital. Graduate School of Public Health Science and Management Yonsei University, 2003.
- H. J. Ha, J. H. Park, M. H. Kim, "Knowledge and Performance Level of Infection Control Guidelines on Indwelling Urinary Catheter, Central Venous Catheter and Ventilator Among Intensive Care Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.17, No.6, pp.113-120, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.113 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.113
- Y. H. Lee, I. S. Kim, A Study on the Awareness and Performance Levels on the Prevention of Hospital Infection among Intensive Care Unit Nurses, Journal of the Korean Socity of Maternal and Child Health, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 197-210, 2002.
- H. Y. Jung, Y. K. Jung, Recognition and Performance Level of Hospital Infection Control in Nurses of Long-term Care Hospital: The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 131-141, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.131
- M. K. Lee. Intensive Care Unit Nurse's Knowledge, Recognition, and Performance of Hospital Infection Control, Unpublished Master's Thesis, Eulji University, 2012.
- M. S. Yoo, Y. J. Son, H. M, Ham, M. M. Park, A. H. Um ,A Comparative Study of Nurses' Recognition and Practice Level of General Nosocomial Infection, MRSA and VRE Infection Control, Journal of Korea Academy Fundamental of Nursing, vol 11, no.1. pp. 31-40, 2004.
- J. E. Moon, A Structural Model of Performance of Healthcare-associated Infection Control Guidlin in Hospital Nurse. Unpublished Doctor's Dissertation, Chonnam National University, 2016.
- M. J. Kim. Correlations among Knowledge, Awareness, and Performance of the Hospital Infection Control in Clinical Nurses, Master's Thesis, Chodang University, 2010.
- D. J. Lee, S. H .Ko, Y. H. Lee, "Perception and Practice of Hospital Infection Control in Nurses of Geriatric Hospital : for Convergent Approach", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.11, pp.461-470, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.461 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.461
- H. J . Park, Y. M. Lee, Factors Influencing Performance about Respiratory System Nosocomial Infection Control among ICU Nurses, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 949-963, 2013.