- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Influence of Fatigue, Health Perception, and Happiness on Health Promoting Behaviors among General Hospital Nurses
종합병원 간호사의 피로, 건강지각 및 행복이 건강증진행위에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Sook (Department of Nursing, Chunnam Techno University)
- 강숙 (전남과학대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.06.04
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
This study was conducted to examine the correlations between fatigue, health perception, happiness, and health promoting behaviors, and to identify the influencing factors on health promoting behaviors of clinical nurses in two general hospitals. Data were collected from 153 clinical nurses from February 5 to March 30, 2018. Data were collected through personal interviews using a questionnaire. Data were analyzed using t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and stepwise multiple regression. Fatigue according to the general characteristics showed significant differences in drinking and job stress. Health perception according to the general characteristics showed significant differences in disease. Happiness according to the general characteristics showed significant differences in marital status, type of work, clinical career, nursing unit satisfaction, economic level, and job stress. Health promoting behavior according to the general characteristics showed significant differences in clinical career and economic level. Health promoting behaviors showed significant positive correlations with health perception and happiness, but a significantly negative correlation with fatigue. Happiness and economic level, which accounted for 24% of the variance, were significant predictors influencing health promoting behavior in clinical nurses. To improve health promoting behavior in clinical nurses, it is necessary to develop a program that can raise the happiness considering the economic level.
Fatigue;Health perception;Happiness;Health promoting behavior;Hospital Nurse
- Y. J. Son, Y. R. Park, "Relationships between Sleep Quality, Fatigue and Depression on Health Promoting Behavior by Shift-work Patterns in University Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 229-237, 2011.
- J. H. Kim, M. Y. Hyun, Y. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, S. O. Nam, M. S. Song, et al., "Psycho-social Well-being, Health Perception and Behavior among Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 26-36, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.26
- N. Vecchio, P. A. Scuffham, M. F. Hilton, H. A. Whiteford, "Work-related Injury in the Nursing Profession: an Investigation of Modifiable Factors", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 67, No. 5, pp. 1067-1078, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05544.x
- S. J. Lee, J. H. Lee, M. Gillen, N. Krause, "Job Stress and Work-related Musculoskeletal Symptoms among Intensive Care Unit Nurses: a Comparison between Job Demand-control and Effort-reward Imbalance Models", American Journal of Industrial Medicine, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 214-221, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.22274 https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.22274
- P. A. Ratner, R. Sawatzky, "Health Status, Prevention Behaviour and Risk Factors among Female Nurses", Health Report, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 53-61, 2009.
- Korean health and Medical worker's Union [Internet]. Survey on Health Workers, Seoul: Korean health and Medical worker's Union, 2017, Available From: http://bogun.nodong.org/xe/. (accessed Jan., 3, 2018)
- J. H. Kim, E. H. Lee, H. J. Hyun, J. H. Gil, J. S. Kim, Y. S. Park, et al., "A Study of the Affecting Factors on the Health Promoting Behaviors of the Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 143-148, 2009.
- Y. J. Choi, Y. H. Sung, "Psychological Well-being, Perceived Health Status, and Health Promoting Behavior of Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 589-598, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.589 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.589
- N. J. Pender. Health promotion in nursing practice(3rd ed). Conneticut: Appleton and Lange Stamford, 1996.
- E. Y. Hong, "Factors Affecting Nurse's Health Promoting Behavior: Focusing on Self-efficacy and Emotional Labor", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 154-162, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.154 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.154
- J. S. Kim, C. J. Kim, "Association of Job Stress with Health-promoting Behaviors and Health Status in Clinical Nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 311-329, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.4.311
- L. M. Barker, "Measuring and Modeling the Effects of Fatigue on Performance: Specific Application to the Nursing Profession", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Missouri, Columbia, 2009.
- E. S. Ju, "Validity and Reliability of Fatigue Measuring Tool for Korean Nurses", Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 67-75, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.067 https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.067
- I. O. Moon, Y. J. Lee, "Factors Influencing Fatigue, Physical Health Status and Negative Affectivity in Shift-working Nurses", Women's Studies Forum, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 45-68, 2015.
- J. Trendall, "Concept Analysis: Chronic Fatigue", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 1126-1131, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j/1365-2648.2000.01583.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01583.x
- A. S. Park, M. K. Son, Y. C. Cho, "Factors related to Psychosocial Stress and Fatigue Symptom among Nurses Working at Ward and Operation Room in University Hospitals", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1781-1791, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1781 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1781
- S. H. Kim, S. W. Lee, H. H. Park, "Sleeping Hours and Health Promotion Behavior of Clinical Nurses whose Perceived Health-condition is Poor", Journal of Korean Living Environment System, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 621-631, 2015. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2015.10.22.5.621
- W. Barr, A. Kirkcaldy, J. Robinson, V. J. Poustie, S. Capewell, "A Survey of Psychological Well-being in an Adult Population", British Journal of Community Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 260-265, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12968/bjcn.2005.10.6.18163 https://doi.org/10.12968/bjcn.2005.10.6.18163
- K. W. Lee, Y. N. Suh, "A Phenomenological Study on Happiness Experienced by Career Nurses", Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 492-504, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.492 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.492
- A. K. Bekhet, J. A. Zauszniewski, W. E. Nakhla, "Happiness: Theoretical and Empirical Considerations", Nursing Forum, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 12-23, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.174406198.2008.00091.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6198.2008.00091.x
- E. J. Ju, Y. C. Kwon, M. H. Nam, "Influence of Clinical Nurses' Work Environment and Emotional Labor on Happiness Index", Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 212-222, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.212 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.212
- S. S. Kim, J. S. Park, Y. S. Roh, "The Relationships of Individual Characteristics, Perceived Health Status, Body Image, and Health Promoting Behavior", Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 88-99, 2005.
- H. L. Williams, T. Costley, L. M. Bellury, J. Moobed, "Do Health Promotion Behaviors Affect Levels of Job Satisfaction and Job Stress for Nurses in an Acute Care Hospital?", Journal of Nursing Administration, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 342-348, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000000625 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000000625
- H. M. Seo, "Construction of Health Promoting Behavior Model in Elderly", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul National University. Seoul, 2001.
- N. J. Lee, J. H. Kim. "Perception of Patient Safety Culture and Safety Care Activity among Nurses in Small-Medium Sized General Hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 462-473, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.462
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*Power 3: A Flexible Statistical Power Analysis Program of the Social, Behavioral, and Biomedical Sciences", Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3758/bf03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/bf03193146
- T. Chalder, G. Berelowitz, T. Pawlikowska, L. Watts, S. Wessely, D. Wright, et al., "Development of a Fatigue Scale", Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 147-153, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90081-P
- M. S. Park, "Development of a Model for Chronic Fatigue in Adults", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Ewha, Seoul, 2001.
- Ware. J. E, Health Perception Questionnaire Instruments for Measuring Nursing Practice and Other Care Variables. p.158-161, Hyattsville, Maryland: DHE Publication, 1979.
- J. S. Yoo, C. J. Kim, J. W. Park, "A Study of the Correlation between Health Perception, Health Behavior, and Health Status of Adolescents", Yonsei Journal, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 169-187, 1985.
- K. S. Lee, Y. S. Chung, "A Study on Health Prevention and Health Promoting Behavior in the Elderly", The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 72-88, 1998.
- E. K. Suh, J. S. Koo, "A Concise Measure of Subjective Well-being (COMOSWB): Scale Development and Validation", The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 96-114, 2011.
- S. N. Walker, K. R. Sechrist, N. J. Pender, "The Health-promoting Lifestyle Profile: Development and Psychometric Characteristics", Nursing Research, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 76-81, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198703000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198703000-00002
- S. N. Yun, J. H. Kim, "Health-promoting Behaviors of the Women Workers at the Manufacturing Industry-based on the Pender's Health Promotion Model", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 130-140, 1999.
- Y. J. Jung, S. W. Kang, "Differences in Sleep, Fatigue, and Neurocognitive Function between Shift Nurses and Non-shift Nurses", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 190-199, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.2.190 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.2.190
- O. H. Cho, K. H. Hwang, M. N. Kim. "The Effect of Nurses' Job Satisfaction and Fatigue on Nursing Professional Attitude", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 178-188, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.03.178 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.03.178
- K. W. Kim. E. K. Chung, H. D. Park, K. B. Kim. J. H. Kang, J. W. Ro, et al., "Differences in Sleep Quality and Fatigue according to Gender of Shift Workers in Electronics Manufacturing Industries", Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 138-148, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2017.27.2.138 https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2017.27.2.138
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, M. S. Jeon, "Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behavior among Hospital Registered Nurses - Mood States, Resourcefulness, and Health Perception-", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 198-208, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.198
- S. H. Kim, "The Risk of Metabolic Syndrome and Health Perception of University Hospital Nurses by Age Group", Journal of The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 919-926, 2015. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2015.12.22.6.919
- H. K. Lee, E. H. Shin, "The Effect of Work-family Conflict, Fatigue and Perceived Health on the Health Promoting Behavior of Married Working Women a Rural Population", The Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 167-176, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2016.24.3.167 https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2016.24.3.167
- M. H. Nam, Y. C. Kwon, "Factors Influencing Happiness Index of Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of nursing administration, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 329-339, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.329
- E. Y. Hong, "Factors Affecting Nurse's Health Promoting Behavior: Focusing on Self-efficacy and Emotional Labor", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 154-16, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.154 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.3.154
- S. J. Oh, S. H. Shin, G. Y. Go, Bhandari Pratibha, "The Effect of Job Stress on Health Promoting Behaviors among Nurses: Mediating Selection, Optimization and Compensation Strategy", The Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 149-158, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.2.149 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.2.149
- N. Kirag, E. M. Ocaktan, "Analysis of Health Promoting Lifestyle Behaviors and Associated Factors among Nurses at a University Hospital in Turkey", Saudi Medical Journal, Vol. 34, No. 10, pp. 1062-1067, 2013.
- H. H. Park, K. O. Lee, "The Relationship between Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors and Health Promotion Behavior in General Hospital Nurses", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 314-325, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.06.314
- S. G. Lee, S. M. Lee, E. H. Kong, J. S. Choi, "The Functional Food Usage and Relation with Fatigue for Male Workers", Korean Journal Family Medicine, Vol. 32, pp. 120-127, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2011.32.2.120 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2011.32.2.120
- C. H. Chung, H. Y. Kang, "Job Stress and Fatigue of the Nurses in the Operating Room", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 291-298, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.291 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.291
- H. K. Kim, T. Y. Lee, K. H. Kim, "The Effects of Health Promotion Behavior of Shifting Nurses on the Health Conditions", Korea Academy Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 1126-1132, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.3.1126
- E. J. Lee, S. W. Shin, "The Effect of Health Promotion Behavior on Fatigue and Depression among Shift Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, NO. 4, pp. 2256-2264, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2256
- J. Y. Yun, O. K. Ham, I. S. Cho, J. Y. Lim, "Effects of Health Promoting Behaviors and Mental Health Status of Shift and Non-shift Nurses on Quality of Life", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 268-279, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.2.268 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.2.268